GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ML Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-20, 09:11 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Good description, do you think adding an extra sub would add or detract from the ML?
Old 02-16-20, 09:30 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts

I love bass. I have 7 subs in my house. Three rooms have two each.
There are rules. Naturally when there are rules there are debates.
The rule for the for the most part is accuracy and balance with all sound hitting the ears at the same time. This is a joy few people experience and seek “More”. Somtimes less is better. ITs like cooking a stew. Add too many flavors and you have a mess. In audio its “ear fatigue”.
Funny, when adjusting bass, mid and Treble we rarely if ever go below the middle?
Also, we adjust, then keep adding. Best time to do is after a long trip, when your ears are tired.
But, your asking me because you want more? I get it, my BMW had under seat woofers, really “Tranducers” and it gave that kick in the pants tacktile kick. I love midrange bass. Tight and accurate.
My question is really what types of listening do you do and taste of music.
The rules for home audio for accuracy is not to mix subs. You use more than one to even out the frequency and lulls in a listening room. I’d think getting two subs in a car more more frequency volume your going to create a mess. You might get lucky, and you might really like it. Or might talk yourself into “I like it!” Because you spend the money. An installer will sell you equipment because its their business. They will give you a volume control. Another use is small adjustments add up. Really, that new bass you add your going to want to feel. That’s going to likely bring down accuracy.
But we are talking abstract, personal taste and many unknowns. You’ll likely get someone who has after market bass chime in and advocate their choice. I’d be curious as to someone with an ML opinion.
We all come from a different place and preference so there is another rule right there! LOL. THe rules are there are no rules, and over the top is fun. I have owned this car now 6 weeks. The speakers are now broken in (its a 2020) and its a very satisfying sound. I’m not planning on adding any more to it.
Old 02-16-20, 09:46 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
My question is really what types of listening do you do and taste of music.
I appreciate the discussion. I mostly listen to alternative, rock, a little bit of electronic and rarely some metal. I tested out a ML system on a test drive awhile back but didn’t get it very loud. From memory it seemed to lack a little midbass but that was just one short audition a few months ago. I generally listen to like Tame Impala and Glass animals at moderate volume and appreciate a smooth, balanced sound. But every so often I need to bump some base! I have some pretty nice equipment from a previous car so I was thinking if I get a ML car and add a sub it might be the best of both worlds or it might just throw off the balance as you described.
Old 02-16-20, 10:41 AM
Nalod
Advanced

I don’t use Sirius XM its awful. Most I stream Apple thru apple beats us if and get Bloomberg radio Nd ESPN. Finance and Sports is my talk listening.

If you get an ML car live with it for while and get to know it. I don’t know where ML has its crossovers set for but perhaps you can find out. Also the quality amplification, the woofer used and the enclosure will all impact. I would think the cost of getting it done right might be prohibitive.
Personally I buy cars with premium sound and while not “up to standards”, is good enough. I’d rather put the money in the house audio where I can control the variables.
When I did my test drive I did not even fire it up. Seriously, it was about the seat, and driving dynamics. It was not as if I was not going to buy the GS without it. At MSRP $1300 or there about for it I was by far a bargain compared to replacing .
Old 02-17-20, 02:12 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

There's a couple of audiophiles in this thread, let me ask you. On a scale of 1-10, how pissed off are you that our ML head unit can't read a decent quality 5.1 DVD?
I use apple lossless on the Ipod for 2 channel files but the best 4.0/ 5.1 I've been able to get out of it is dolby digital AC3. No DTS, no MLP
I've just about given up trying everything I can. I sometimes wonder whether it'll play a custom 5.1 LPCM DVD as technically it's in the DVD standard....
Old 02-17-20, 06:57 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cwang
There's a couple of audiophiles in this thread, let me ask you. On a scale of 1-10, how pissed off are you that our ML head unit can't read a decent quality 5.1 DVD?
I use apple lossless on the Ipod for 2 channel files but the best 4.0/ 5.1 I've been able to get out of it is dolby digital AC3. No DTS, no MLP
I've just about given up trying everything I can. I sometimes wonder whether it'll play a custom 5.1 LPCM DVD as technically it's in the DVD standard....
Played some wonderful DVD-A discs and they are very nice. A bit clumsy if inserted while driving.
My personal taste in home theatre leans toward video content as a priority with my Miller and Kriesel speakers set up to be “immersive” than directional. I like the sound to feel like its bigger than the room and the sound transparent. I suppose the ML does something similar and I’m good with that. Over the years my time for “Critical listening” has lessened and its more lifestyle. Many of my rooms are tuned now toward ambient as I don’t want to overpower conversations and having to adjust volume constantly. The GS is really a multifaceted performer as it crossed AWD practicality, Luxury sound isolation and sound system, supportive seats (Fsport), a pretty laid back interior, and reasonable performance. We have a two seater convertible sports car with proper manual Trans so the need for my sedan to thrill is not needed. The audio i that vehicle is bloody awful and to change it is quite challenging as its a low volume build with few alternatives for speakers. Min of $3000 to upgrade and that did not include speaker! We only drive 4000 miles a year on it and mostly open air. . I’m in m late 50s and have to agree if I was quite younger my musical tastes would be different and perhaps I would want a more intrusive head banging experience. Back in the day I did!
No doubt I would love to play some of my blueRay discs! Truth is I’m buying far less discs and the DVD-A I have played while nice are not much of an upgrade to what I’m streaming. The DAC in the ML does a good job uncompressing the files.
Old 02-17-20, 12:49 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

I was under the impression that our cars won't play DVDAs....that said I'd be very happy if wrong.
Were you sure it was playing the high quality MLP (ie what you buy a DVDA for) or did it just default to the AC3 stream that they come with for backwards compatibility?
Truth be told I have only tried DTS and failed, I don't want to buy a DVDA for it not to work as they're so damn expensive.
Old 02-17-20, 03:52 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts

It does not play DVD-A. I tried. Can’t beat Hotel California on DVD-A. Once I get rid of the Acura, all sound will be lost.