GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ML Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 06:16 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Default ML Audio System

So I know people have a love/hate relationship with the ML audio system. I am not an audiophile, so I do keep the DSP on (sorry, I like surround sound), though I did turn the rear bias back two notches as some people have suggested. Not here to debate the system itself, but for the life of me, I am doubting there are 17 different speakers in the car. By my count, there are five up front, and here is where it gets muddy, I have never sat in the back and tried to count the speakers. But I would be amazed if they stuck 12 speakers in the rear doors and back ledge. I figured there would be two more in the rear doors, and maybe three in the back ledge. That gives you ten in total, and I will throw a subwoofer in there to make 11. So where are the other six hiding. I do not see any in the headliner. To show my age, I remember having one speaker in the front dash, and if you had two making it stereo, it was a luxury vehicle. Now 17. Where are they, and at what point is it overkill? Has anyone verified there are 17 speakers or do we all have a class action lawsuit on our hands?
Old 02-11-20, 06:21 AM
rsnaider
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.marklevinson.com/in-lexus.html#lexus-gs
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (02-12-20)
Old 02-11-20, 07:30 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
So I know people have a love/hate relationship with the ML audio system. I am not an audiophile, so I do keep the DSP on (sorry, I like surround sound), though I did turn the rear bias back two notches as some people have suggested. Not here to debate the system itself, but for the life of me, I am doubting there are 17 different speakers in the car. By my count, there are five up front, and here is where it gets muddy, I have never sat in the back and tried to count the speakers. But I would be amazed if they stuck 12 speakers in the rear doors and back ledge. I figured there would be two more in the rear doors, and maybe three in the back ledge. That gives you ten in total, and I will throw a subwoofer in there to make 11. So where are the other six hiding. I do not see any in the headliner. To show my age, I remember having one speaker in the front dash, and if you had two making it stereo, it was a luxury vehicle. Now 17. Where are they, and at what point is it overkill? Has anyone verified there are 17 speakers or do we all have a class action lawsuit on our hands?
Some of the speakers are 2in1 speakers.

So there are 12 physical speaker grills, but technically 17 speakers total. Calling it 17 is more like a marketing number.
Im2bz2p345 (02-12-20)
Old 02-11-20, 08:08 AM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Yup. The speakers in the lower part of the doors I believe are all 2 way speakers. That's 8 already. Add 2 tweeters in the rear doors, 1 sub in the rear deck and you're looking at 11. I believe the front dash and rear deck are a combination of 1 and 2 way speakers which make up the rest.
Old 02-11-20, 09:26 AM
Hues10
Advanced

You people are so smart! Thanks RSNaider for the diagram. I actually did not know we had front door tweeters behind at ear level. You would think I have never driven this car. But for all intents and purposes, I get in, push start, and go. There has been more than one person in it probably a handful of times, so the interior (to me) is in immaculate condition. I just have never gone in the back seat. Allow me to ask another question about the sunroof panel and windnoise. When I open just the panel, I hear windnoise. Like more than I would think. To the point I think that the sunroof is cracked open. However, I close the panel, and nothing. Is this normal? I just can't believe the panel is such a sound muffler. To me it is just a flimsy slide covering. I thought I read something about the molding needing replaced, but I don't know if the symptom is excessive wind noise or leaking. Peasodos, help a guy out here Thanks.
Old 02-11-20, 09:28 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

You people are so smart! Thanks RSNaider for the diagram. I actually did not know we had front door tweeters behind at ear level. You would think I have never driven this car. But for all intents and purposes, I get in, push start, and go. There has been more than one person in it probably a handful of times, so the interior (to me) is in immaculate condition. I just have never gone in the back seat. Allow me to ask another question about the sunroof panel and windnoise. When I open just the panel, I hear windnoise. Like more than I would think. To the point I think that the sunroof is cracked open. However, I close the panel, and nothing. Is this normal? I just can't believe the panel is such a sound muffler. To me it is just a flimsy slide covering. I thought I read something about the molding needing replaced, but I don't know if the symptom is excessive wind noise or leaking. Peasodos, help a guy out here Thanks.
You need to replace your sunroof seal with the updated part number. Search the forum there is a long thread on this. It's a common problem with the early 4GS years.
Im2bz2p345 (02-12-20)
Old 02-11-20, 10:43 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,161 Likes on 857 Posts

Sunroof weatherstrip replacement thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9939963
Old 02-11-20, 07:00 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Once again, you guys rock. Looks like I will be ordering a sunroof seal. Then curse Lexus for making a crappy seal to begin with. Thanks!
Old 02-11-20, 09:29 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Once again, you guys rock. Looks like I will be ordering a sunroof seal. Then curse Lexus for making a crappy seal to begin with. Thanks!
And don't pull the thing apart to replace it, don't even undo any screws. It just slides off and on with abit of patience and grease.
Old 02-13-20, 08:56 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Speaking of ML, does anyone have a test tone or method to determine if any speaker is blown/damaged?
Old 02-13-20, 06:32 PM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

i can attest that replacing the sunroof seal will definitely help!
Old 02-14-20, 05:23 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkmckinley
Speaking of ML, does anyone have a test tone or method to determine if any speaker is blown/damaged?
What's your issue? The ML speakers should read 4.2 - 6.2 ohms across them. As for identifying which one may be faulty...I know my Pink Floyd Pulse DVD has a speaker test function in the menu, as in it tests the 6 channels.
mkmckinley (02-14-20)
Old 02-14-20, 10:42 PM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m in the market for a GS350 and I just want to be able to check the system before I buy one
Old 02-15-20, 03:49 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by mkmckinley
I’m in the market for a GS350 and I just want to be able to check the system before I buy one
Just chuck a concert DVD on and crank it. The only known issue is that some cars get water in the area where the amp is under the toolkit. Easy enough to inspect.
Old 02-16-20, 08:07 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 322 Likes on 201 Posts

The controversy of ML basically lies in expectations. Balanced and tuned systems envelop you in sound. After market use great equipment and produce great sound but might not be tuned and balanced.
The ML in the GS lacks under seat woofers and the bass is not tactile. What you hear is substantial but its not going to shake your ***. No two answers are the same and there is no right or wrong.
I’m a bit of an audiophile as its been a life long hobby. I listen to a lot of different types of music and I’m blown away by the detail of the ML especially at reasonable volume. I like some techno and urban hip hop but if that’s your thing and your young perhaps you’ll want a more dominating sound. Took my wife to the airport early this morning and listening to the latest Pat Metheny recordings and the rich syrupy bass with textured details on the strings was striking. This car is a very inviting space to listen to music and very much is part of the GS character. “Grand Sport”........GT was “Gran Touring”........Luxury and performance. Its a lovely car1
The following 3 users liked this post by Nalod:
JDR76 (02-16-20), mkmckinley (02-16-20), signdetres (02-16-20)

Quick Reply: ML Audio System