GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clear Bra for car with minor chips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 06:41 PM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clear Bra for car with minor chips?

Picked up a 2018 GS FSport today. Color is Smoky Granite Mica..the hood has a few very small chips that would be completely normal for a 2 year old car with 17k miles. On the bottom of the front bumper (plastic piece), on driver side curve as it turns from the front of the car to the side, it did get scuffed enough that I dont think it would make sense (and/or may not be possible since it is a bit rough on surface) to put anything on that (probably brushed a curb when parking). So my questions that have put the clear bra on their car:
  • Did you do right at purchase of new car or added later
  • If added later, did the very small chips get highlighted/show up more with the film added
  • Does color of the car make it more noticeable? For example, this is the darker color (grey) - would this be more or less noticeable than say white or light silver?
  • Finally, did you put it on the plastic bumper or just the metal pieces?
TIA!
Old 02-12-20, 09:40 AM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Well, after some online research, comparing costs, talking to the dealership....I think I may go without. Ill take a chance and worst case, at some point could always have them shoot paint again. My concerns are long term paint discoloration with just the film covering the first 24" of the hood, the visible line across the hood, the small chips I mentioned being highlighted after the install, etc.
The following users liked this post:
mkmckinley (02-12-20)
Old 02-12-20, 11:54 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by tdub4
Well, after some online research, comparing costs, talking to the dealership....I think I may go without. Ill take a chance and worst case, at some point could always have them shoot paint again. My concerns are long term paint discoloration with just the film covering the first 24" of the hood, the visible line across the hood, the small chips I mentioned being highlighted after the install, etc.
If you do clearbra or Xpel or suntek PPF do the Full Hood.

I would recommend the full hood, front bumper and the side mirror covers as those are the most vulnerable to paint chips. My car had factory clearbra I replaced after 6 years, there was zero discoloration and it saved the bumper and the hood. Reason I replaced the clear bra was because the factory only did first couple feet of hood and I hated the look of the dirt line. Also changed the bumper to f-sport so I had that covered in Xpel ultimate after 30 days.

You are going to get more rock chips especially on the lower part of the hood and the bumper. My car has about 100k miles and only 1 tiny rock chip on the entire car near the rear fender. So yeah to me PPF is well worth the money.

Old 02-12-20, 01:13 PM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
If you do clearbra or Xpel or suntek PPF do the Full Hood.

I would recommend the full hood, front bumper and the side mirror covers as those are the most vulnerable to paint chips. My car had factory clearbra I replaced after 6 years, there was zero discoloration and it saved the bumper and the hood. Reason I replaced the clear bra was because the factory only did first couple feet of hood and I hated the look of the dirt line. Also changed the bumper to f-sport so I had that covered in Xpel ultimate after 30 days.

You are going to get more rock chips especially on the lower part of the hood and the bumper. My car has about 100k miles and only 1 tiny rock chip on the entire car near the rear fender. So yeah to me PPF is well worth the money.
Thanks for the reply. I've gotten a few quotes and had two locations at $2k for full front (full hood, front fenders and bumper) while another was at $1300. Not sure what standard is though.
Old 02-12-20, 01:20 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I paid $1600 for full hood, full front bumper, both front fenders, both headlights, both side mirror covers with xpel ultimate. The installers prices vary, some places charge as much as $2400 for the same job. The place I went to was just the owner and a helper and had 10 years experience, probably why the price was on the lower end. I can see a bigger shop with more employees charging more.
Old 02-12-20, 01:34 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

I was in the same situation about 2 years ago. Bought a 2015 with 20k miles on it and ended up deciding to hold off on the PPF for a few years. I plan on having the entire front end resprayed and then getting the full front PPF. Question for anyone who has re sprayed and then got the PPF...how long do I need to wait to have the PPF installed after the respray? I have had a few places tell me a week and a few say a month?
Old 02-12-20, 01:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CaptRog21
I was in the same situation about 2 years ago. Bought a 2015 with 20k miles on it and ended up deciding to hold off on the PPF for a few years. I plan on having the entire front end resprayed and then getting the full front PPF. Question for anyone who has re sprayed and then got the PPF...how long do I need to wait to have the PPF installed after the respray? I have had a few places tell me a week and a few say a month?
I changed to the f-sport bumper and had to get it painted/blended to adjacent panels. I waited a month before the PPF and paid for a parking garage during that month.
Old 02-13-20, 02:45 PM
Riven
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the front end with the 3M product when I purchased mine. Apparently this product didn't exist when I got my truck in 2008 (or simply never heard of it) as after getting chips in my old truck's hood, I Line-X'd the front bumper.
Old 02-14-20, 02:16 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

When I did mine it was right from the factory and I have the entire front end covered to the back of the hood and front fenders, the A-pillar, mirrors, and the entire front fascia. So far it's done a good job of protecting the car. At some point I will have it removed, fix any small chips, and replaced. It will help keep the value of the car should I sell it.
Old 02-14-20, 02:47 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

What do you mean by "from the factory"? Mine was from the factory or from the port and it only covers front of hood and fenders on my 18. It's not worth what Lexus charges for it and the 3M film quality is second rate.