GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS Leather...is it real?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 04:11 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The brochure and other documentation refer to it as a "leather-trimmed" interior so it's not that big of a deal to me. If it stated something like "full leather interior" or something to that effect I could see how some would be disappointed.
That's BS, it's either genuine leather or not. At least with the NULUXE they clearly label it as such and or call it "leatherette" I wasn't paying for an entry level Lexus regardless if you don't think its "a big deal" or "more cleanable...easier to maintain etc.." All I am saying is Lexus shouldn't be charging a premium for partial genuine leather when only sections of the interior are real genuine leather and should be more transparent about it.
Old 02-13-20, 04:59 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

The majority of cars of most makes have leather seating surface only. The sides and back are usually vinyl.
Old 02-13-20, 10:34 PM
lexinvegas
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

After reading about how the only real leather is the seat bottom, why spend money on expensive "leather conditioners"? Am also
disappointed that so little of the interior is real leather. I had a 2005 GS and the seats were soft and supple, I believe it was all
leather. Also the dash board was what I called Dolphin skin, so smooth and soft, not the hard plastic like feel on my 2015.
Didn't have the tech and amenities of my 2015, but sure do miss the quality of the materials. Just sayin.
The following users liked this post:
swat1727 (02-13-20)
Old 02-13-20, 10:38 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by lexinvegas
After reading about how the only real leather is the seat bottom, why spend money on expensive "leather conditioners"? Am also
disappointed that so little of the interior is real leather. I had a 2005 GS and the seats were soft and supple, I believe it was all
leather. Also the dash board was what I called Dolphin skin, so smooth and soft, not the hard plastic like feel on my 2015.
Didn't have the tech and amenities of my 2015, but sure do miss the quality of the materials. Just sayin.
Unless you have the luxury package with semi-aniline leather seat the conditioner is not going to do anything. the base leather is sealed so it won't soak up the conditioner. All you need is a leather cleaner.
Old 02-14-20, 08:56 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

What do you do specifically for the semi-analine?
Old 02-14-20, 10:25 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkmckinley
What do you do specifically for the semi-analine?
I usually just use lexol leather cleaner. But recently I got this leather conditioner, I saw a youtube video were it re-hydrates the leather so all the crease marks/lines on the driver seat bottom apparently will look much better. You rub it into the leather with your hands, leave it for a day and then buff off with microfiber. Apparently it makes the leather much more supple.
Amazon Amazon

I haven't tried the conditioner yet, waiting for warmer days.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
mkmckinley (02-14-20), OUT FOX EM (02-14-20)
Old 02-14-20, 11:10 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I usually just use lexol leather cleaner. But recently I got this leather conditioner, I saw a youtube video were it re-hydrates the leather so all the crease marks/lines on the driver seat bottom apparently will look much better. You rub it into the leather with your hands, leave it for a day and then buff off with microfiber. Apparently it makes the leather much more supple.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't tried the conditioner yet, waiting for warmer days.
It's not going to take the creases out of the leather, it is not going to really penetrate semi aniline leather either. Semi aniline is still protected leather, pigment is partially dyed through, it has a layer of protection on top especially if it is used in a modern car.

Last edited by UDel; 02-14-20 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 11:31 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
It's not going to take the creases out of the leather, it is not going to really penetrate semi aniline leather either. Semi aniline is still protected leather, pigment is partially dyed through, it has a layer of protection on top especially if it is used in a modern car.
The idea is the crease/lines, and some rubbed sections like a few spots of the side bolster don't have have that coating anymore and will absorb the conditioner and look better than it currently does.

Also apparently this product adds a layer of protection.
Old 02-14-20, 11:57 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Makes sense, it's either repelled by an intact barrier or gets absorbed where the barrier wore off.
Old 09-10-20, 11:24 AM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

(I'm aware that this is an old thread, but I'm one of those members that dislikes when people start new threads when a topic has already been started.)

I have a 2017 GS 350 F Sport, and I'm having a heck of a time keeping my driver seat from wrinkling and creasing. I've had NuLuxe seats in my 2017 IS 350 F Sport and in my 2019 NX 300, and both of those seats were perfect (even though the IS was lower and required me to rub against the seat more as I entered/exited the car). The side bolster closest to the door is wrinkled and the bolster closest to the seat belt looks like someone folded it in half. I don't know what in the world is going on. Any advice? I'm going to use some Mothers VLR today, but I think that will only clean the seats instead of doing anything about the creases. I also read to put a steaming hot towel on the seats to smooth out the wrinkles. However, I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried it. I'd hate to remove the towel to discover that section of the seat has discolored.

Last edited by WNYX; 09-29-20 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 12:50 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Sounds like foam degradation? People have used stream to "bulk up" foam - sometimes it works in a semi-permanent fashion... in my case - it got back to how it used to be during a 15 minute ride, so I'm looking at replacing them.

Other than that - most leather restoration projects (seats, shoes, etc) take care of creases by cleaning the area, once it's properly supported/tensioned/etc (foam, shoe trees, so on).
Old 09-10-20, 01:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Sounds like foam degradation? People have used stream to "bulk up" foam - sometimes it works in a semi-permanent fashion... in my case - it got back to how it used to be during a 15 minute ride, so I'm looking at replacing them.

Other than that - most leather restoration projects (seats, shoes, etc) take care of creases by cleaning the area, once it's properly supported/tensioned/etc (foam, shoe trees, so on).
Foam is probably compressed from from all the sitting in that spot. if you were to remove the leather cover you could hit the foam with a stream gun to bring it back to it's original shape. Also the stream gun would take out the creases in the leather, but all this is a lot of work. I would use a heat gun and message the leather to see if that makes it any better, make sure to move it around so too much heat is not concentrated in one spot.
Old 09-10-20, 01:47 PM
WNYX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Sounds like foam degradation?.
My car is still covered under warranty, so maybe I'll ask them about it. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-21-21, 04:52 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

My driver seat was in very good condition when I got the car at 64k miles and looked almost new. I hate scuffed/wrinkled seats so I take care to be easy on them. When I got the car I turned off the easy out seat retract function and soon realized I was scuffing the bolster everytime I got out and was wearing the finish off my semi-aniline seats on the sharp edge of the bolster. I eventually turned easy out back on and don't do that anymore. I also use the steering wheel to pull myself out so I don't put so much pressure against the edge of the seat bottom where seats tend to take the most abuse. When I get in I try to drop in more towards the center of the seat instad of on that outer edge and while there are minor wrinkles, it's not that bad.