GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY front seat disassembly to access fan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 06:07 PM
swolh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY front seat disassembly to access fan?

My new to me 2013 GS 350 Fsport has a very annoying high pitched two-tone oscillating noise - like a faint alarm - that can only be heard with my head in the driving position, sitting in the seat. Lean my head forward a foot and noise goes away. Lean my head to the right a foot and the noise goes away. Does not change with engine speed or road speed. Drove me nuts for a few days, until I was parked with engine running (and annoying noise going strong), and I chanced to turn off the seat heater. Noise stopped. Heater on highest level, noise resumed. Turned heater down one level, nose quieted a little.

Conclusion: there's a fan in the seat back that runs when the seat heater is on (it's winter, haven't tried the seat cooling, but suspect it's the same fan), and it's developed a slight bearing noise. (Second possibility is the heater itself somehow is making this noise, but that seems unlikely - and the noise is like the noise an alternator starts to make when its bearing is just starting to run dry and wear, except it does not come from the engine compartment and it does not change with engine speed.).

In either case, remedy will be to disassemble seat back to access the fan (or maybe heater unit). If the fan is noisy, I'll try to lube the fan bearing. If that doesn't quiet it, then new fan.

If anyone has had the seat apart to access the fan, please post instructions and tips.

Thanks

Last edited by swolh; 02-14-20 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 06:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

peasodos should be able to answer your questions. He installed Luxury optioned seats in his car. He's a huge wealth of knowledge.

Pictures he posted:

Old 02-14-20, 06:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Just so you are aware - looking further into the seat fans, there are two fans (aka blowers) - one is called a 'Seat Climate Control Blower' (for the car seat area) and the other is called a 'Seatback Climate Control Blower' (for the seatback). The information details the driver's seat blowers using 'LH' for left hand. Therefore, I presume the passenger side front seat's blowers would likely be referred to as 'RH', thus giving the impression the blowers for the two front seats are different (e.g. air supply duct connection and mounting orientation, etc.) for the driver's seat and the passenger seat.
Old 02-14-20, 07:02 PM
swolh
Driver School Candidate

That's super helpful. Thanks. I've seen other posts by peasodos about work he's done with the sound system. I'll check him.
Old 02-14-20, 07:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swolh
That's super helpful. Thanks. I've seen other posts by peasodos about work he's done with the sound system. I'll check him.
He'll be around soon. I tagged him in my first post in this thread so he'll see your thread. Nice guy, super helpful and very knowledgeable. But don't tell him I said so!
Old 02-15-20, 12:10 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The good news is there are only two fans on the seat, both can be removed with the seat in the car. I would first unbolt the seat, tilt it back, turn on the seat ventilation to hear if it's coming from the fan under the seat or the blower behind the seat to determine which one is defective. it could just be something stuck in the fan blades for the one under the seat.

The following pics are from the lux seats, but the base seats have the fans in the same location, just looks less of a cyborg.

There are two fans in the seat, one on the bottom and a blower on the lower back of the seat.
To access the bottom fan you just unbolts the seat(4 bolts), and tilt the seat back against the rear seats:
I marked the fan in red below.

To access the blower on the lower back you have to remove the seat back cover. The following picture shows it's location:

To remove the cover on the back of the seats it's two straps you need to unclip under the seat, then you lift the lower flap up, and remove two screws, then it's a couple clips holding the board in place, you can pull that cover off.
I've removed this cover with the seats in the car, for the first time easier if you unbolt the seats to tilt it back and see the straps.

Here is the instructions to remove the back board/cover on the standard seats.

Here is the instructions to remove the lower back board/cover on the lux seats.

The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Im2bz2p345 (02-15-20), swolh (02-15-20)
Old 02-15-20, 05:25 AM
swolh
Driver School Candidate

Peasodos - thank you! That is super helpful! I'll post to the thread to report how it goes. Where did you get those instructions? Is that from a service manual that I could purchase? I'm a long time DIYer, a little intimidated by what I call the "computer on wheels" aspect of modern cars, but I still want to be able to do as much as possible myself.

On a different matter, how do you add a signature to posts? Hunted around the site and couldn't see where to add one.
Old 02-15-20, 10:01 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Peasodos - thank you! That is super helpful! I'll post to the thread to report how it goes. Where did you get those instructions? Is that from a service manual that I could purchase? I'm a long time DIYer, a little intimidated by what I call the "computer on wheels" aspect of modern cars, but I still want to be able to do as much as possible myself.

On a different matter, how do you add a signature to posts? Hunted around the site and couldn't see where to add one.
I have a copy of the full factory service manual.
Old 02-15-20, 10:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I told ya peasodos was a wealth of knowledge.

As a new member you must first make 30 productive posts and be a member for 30 days before being able to add a signature.

Once you qualify t
o add a signature: Click on your User Name in the top right-hand portion of the page where it says 'Welcome, your name'. Then click on 'User CP' in the upper left-hand portion of the page. On the left-hand side of the page you'll see 'Your Control Panel' - look down to 'Settings & Options' and you'll see 'Edit Signature'. You can add text and also an image.
Old 02-15-20, 10:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
I have a copy of the full factory service manual.
Rumor has it that you wrote the factory service manual. Is that right?
Old 02-15-20, 08:54 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that's a great link!
I ordered a CD service manual on ebay for $65. 2013 2014 2015 LEXUS GS350 GS 350 FACTORY REPAIR SERVICE WORHSHOP MANUAL CD We shall see if it's any good.
Buy it, burn a copy to your PC and return it as per their 14 day return policy I'm sure it's not an offical oem cd from Lexus(because Lexus does not sell it) and a copy that's been burned to a cd many times. Seller making a living off pirated service manuals.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-15-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-15-20, 08:57 PM
swolh
Driver School Candidate

Another great idea! Thanks!
Old 07-12-21, 05:05 PM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

@peasodos hey bro do you think swapping from Fsport seat to Luxury is worth a shot ? my ventilation seat hasnt worked for a while now thinking making the switch.
Old 07-12-21, 09:04 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

What goes wrong on these seats with the ventilation?

I have an '18 F Sport and I was wondering how much air it should be flowing when on max?

Is there a filter somewhere on the fan that needs to be checked and cleaned/replaced on this? I don't see any filters in the pics above on these seats, but I know some of the other models do run filters on the seat ventilation fan inlets.
Old 07-13-21, 01:40 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gxxr
What goes wrong on these seats with the ventilation?

I have an '18 F Sport and I was wondering how much air it should be flowing when on max?

Is there a filter somewhere on the fan that needs to be checked and cleaned/replaced on this? I don't see any filters in the pics above on these seats, but I know some of the other models do run filters on the seat ventilation fan inlets.
I have a 16 F sport and the ventilated seats are hardly noticeable even on max, my prior 14 GS was much more noticeable, and riding in a friends brand new ES I was shocked at how powerful the cooling was, you literally had to turn it off after a minute or you’d be cold from it. I think part of it is how much dust/dirt you let get in your seats, whenever I vacuum I make a point to go over the seats perforations

Quick Reply: DIY front seat disassembly to access fan?