GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lux Pkg vs F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 08:21 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts
Default Lux Pkg vs F Sport

So I have a few reasons why I'd prefer a Lux Package over an F Sport. I've seen a few posts here discussing the two. Some have said they'd take a Lux over an F Sport hands down. Folks keep encouraging me to wait to find a Lux, but I can't wait forever....starting to have some more expensive/major repairs on my Infiniti w 178k.....

I must have one of those two packages - I need the front driver seat extension for leg support so it's either the 16 way on the F Sport or 18 way on the Lux.

So for those who would take a lux over an F sport - could you explain what it is that makes you say that? Is it some option that only comes on it? Or is it something about how it drives/feels/seems?

Anyone have any major issues that they didn't like about the Lux package? Or, again, is it some option that's on the F Sport that made you decide on that?

I'm borderline thinking of settling for an F Sport - still seems like a great car - and I've driven probably 10+ GSs of many different yeas/packages in the last month alone. Many have encouraged me to hold out for a Lux, so I'm just trying to learn what I might be missing if I settle. And I say settle just because there isn't a perfect word - I really do like many things about the F sport as well.

I've only found/driven one 2013 Lux - the only one in the area and I wasn't blown away by it. It was a bit high mileage (roughly 70k+) and was at a more "traditional" used car lot with the whole "what'll it take to get you into this today...." so it might have also just been the whole experience.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-18-20, 08:50 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

You will likely get advocates for what we drive as it validates our choice. Thus you won’t get a real objective opinion.
Besides what does it matter what we think? Someone here tells you to get a lux does that really weight heavy?

I have heard someone say they were uncomfortable with one leather vs. another as it was hard on their ***.
If I were you I’d get the best condition car, lowest miles, with a color combination and equipment and MAKES YOU HAPPY! AWD or not.
Is Premiium audio important?
I think for some the double pane glass really makes life worth living, for others its the wood on the steering wheel.
Fsport is not like driving a GS-F. Its a package. Personally I gravitate to certain combo’s. Figure out what you want, your budget and then go buy the darn thing. Have fun!!1
The following 2 users liked this post by Nalod:
Im2bz2p345 (02-19-20), NickMayer (02-19-20)
Old 02-18-20, 09:31 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nalod
You will likely get advocates for what we drive as it validates our choice. Thus you won’t get a real objective opinion.
Besides what does it matter what we think?
Nalod - I think my main reason is to try to dig a bit deeper beyond simple opinion - a few folks have really encouraged the Lux. I'm curious why so that i can decide for myself if I care about the thing(s) they like about one over the other. Is it really something like "I really like the wood/aluminum trim". While I like that trim a lot, I'm with you - I'd go for a lower mileage, better exterior color over it.

If it's something like the "the seats of the Lux are a bit softer" or those extra two directions the seat adjusts make a word of difference on long commutes then maybe I should look and play with that a bit more. I mean really - I thought my 8 way seat in my Infiniti was plenty but the Infiniti seats are longer and it wasn't until I really got to play with one in an F sport that I realized they had that front extension. I know I read one person who really wanted lux so the passenger seat had better adjustments for their spouse because of long car trips. That's probably less of an issue for me, although I know in my spouse's car, if we do a longer drive, I wish the seat had a bit more adjustment.

If it's the "semi-aniline leather-trimmed" aspect - that might be interesting. I researched leather furniture a few years ago so I have a pretty good grasp of all the leathers but without having the semi-aniline literally right next to the f sport leather to feel and touch and look at, someone might have an observation that I might need to check out for myself.

If I could go sit in/drive a bunch of Lux package cars it would be a little easier but they're pretty rare.

I really appreciate the knowledge and expertise many of the folks on the site have with Lexus. I've learned a lot on my own in a short period but I'm still seeing things I didn't know....like to NEVER change my own battery LOL. <JK>
Old 02-18-20, 09:41 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Nalod - I think my main reason is to try to dig a bit deeper beyond simple opinion - a few folks have really encouraged the Lux. I'm curious why so that i can decide for myself if I care about the thing(s) they like about one over the other. Is it really something like "I really like the wood/aluminum trim". While I like that trim a lot, I'm with you - I'd go for a lower mileage, better exterior color over it.

If it's something like the "the seats of the Lux are a bit softer" or those extra two directions the seat adjusts make a word of difference on long commutes then maybe I should look and play with that a bit more. I mean really - I thought my 8 way seat in my Infiniti was plenty but the Infiniti seats are longer and it wasn't until I really got to play with one in an F sport that I realized they had that front extension. I know I read one person who really wanted lux so the passenger seat had better adjustments for their spouse because of long car trips. That's probably less of an issue for me, although I know in my spouse's car, if we do a longer drive, I wish the seat had a bit more adjustment.

If it's the "semi-aniline leather-trimmed" aspect - that might be interesting. I researched leather furniture a few years ago so I have a pretty good grasp of all the leathers but without having the semi-aniline literally right next to the f sport leather to feel and touch and look at, someone might have an observation that I might need to check out for myself.

If I could go sit in/drive a bunch of Lux package cars it would be a little easier but they're pretty rare.

I really appreciate the knowledge and expertise many of the folks on the site have with Lexus. I've learned a lot on my own in a short period but I'm still seeing things I didn't know....like to NEVER change my own battery LOL. <JK>
I have first hand experience with the standard 10 way adjustable base seats and the 18 way semi-aniline lux seats.
I swapped the base seats for the lux last year:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...uxury-mod.html

The difference for me was night and day. The leather on the base 10 way adjustable seats was harder and I found them uncomfortable after 2+ hours driving, yes my butt would hurt from the seats sometimes.
The adjustments on the lux seats allow me to get the perfect fit, I didn't know I needed those adjustments until I had them.
On top of that the semi-aneline leather is noticeably softer. Now I can do long drives and my butt doesn't hurt.
Any future Lexus I ever own I will settle for nothing less than semi-aniline lux seats.

Of course there are many reason to buy one car over another and not just the seats.

I also have the f-sport front bumper, GS F tail lights, other nice exterior upgrades, and AVS. So I get the best of both the lux seats and the f-sport/sportier exterior styling.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-19-20 at 12:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Claybo77 (04-17-20), Im2bz2p345 (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 12:39 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

For me, the seating was much more comfortable for longer drives in the Lux, but it would hurt my
butt after awhile in the F-Sport. I have yet to feel that way in the Lux.

A big part of the Lux package is for the passengers — rear seat controls, rear sunshades, passenger side memory settings, 3 zone climate control, rear heated seats, etc. — so that’s going to depend on how often you have passengers. From a driver’s perspective there isn’t going to be a huge difference, other than the leather.

Luxury packages usually contain the Mark Levinson stereo system as well, so that’s a plus. F-Sports with the ML system are bit and miss.

One thing I like about the F-Sport that you can’t easily change is the black headliner. It’s a cosmetic thing, but it’s the only thing I really miss from my previous F-Sport. The wheels, grille, and spoiler can be pretty easily swapped, but not the headliner.

So ultimately I think it will depend on how much you value the extras for your passengers. If it’s not worth it, grab the F-Sport. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed either way.
Old 02-19-20, 02:41 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

Coming from a 2013 535i with the comfort seat option which are incredible I too was concerned. Fact is the leather on that car was far from soft. Given that I wear pants and undergarments, the softness of the leather or not did not affect my butt. The ergonomics of that seat design and the fact the seats had the mid back tilt was amazing. I have had back issues over the years on longer drives. I learned to tilt the seat back which takes some pressure off and my sciatic. I’m 5’10 and leg extensions are not an issue. In fact might be better to not use them or sparing as they can have an detrimental effect if not used properly. This is personal preference stuff. As for the “princess and the pea” or “Charmin Softness” on the butt I find the Fsport leather is not as sumptuous as other fine leathers but I would not describe it as hard when compared to the base level BMW and Audi interiors. Is the nicer ether “better”? I would guess it is. Would it chafe ones bottom or cause discomfort? I guess its all where you sit!!!!
Missing in the passenger seat in the Fsport are the power side boosters and the leg extension. More critical for the driver than passenger as they can move around a bit where a driver has fewer options.
Rear seat controls are not a preference as its rare anyone is back there and if they are I’m happy to oblige them. I actually like the aesthetic of the Black headliner but it can feel claustrophobic with the sunroof shade closed which is is most to the time. I think the lighter shades while not as pleasing to the eye might actually work toward a feeling of spaciousness.
ML audio is an absolute must for me luxury item. Where some rear ends must have semi aneline leather my ears must have premium audio.
I have the rear shade. I will tint the windows which renders it kind of obsolete.
For me the Fsport instrument dash was a big plus. This is the first non wood trim car I have ever had. I love the Naguri trim texture with the black leather. I wish I can find “Naguri” travel drink cups! I read up on the Naguri design and its origins and think its really a cool aesthetic!
I like the driving dynamics of the RWD but I made this purchase in part with some practicality given the reliable reputation and went with AWD. This car is a sort of “jack of all trades” with is “talents”. It has the quiet vibe of a luxury car and the high end audio adds to that. If the Fsport has a more sporty setting on the suspension its not a deal breaker to not have it. It can get rough. The Lux I would imagine is just fine. I have not driven the Lux but I understand the 18’s are smoother to drive on. I would not spend the money to change wheels or add the Fsport bits. My expectation is that configuration would be very satisfying.
I encourage the op to find a Lux for sure. If he can’t even find one then he won’t know what he’s missing? Happy hunting!!!

Last edited by Nalod; 02-19-20 at 02:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
john2307 (04-03-20)
Old 02-19-20, 06:16 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Better seats, better leather, turning headlights, rear seat controls, rear sunshades.

Old 02-19-20, 06:27 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Better seats, better leather, turning headlights, rear seat controls, rear sunshades.
I cant agree more. When searching for my GS, I looked at many F-Sports as well as 2 Lux packages. The Lux package sealed the deal for me with the AFS headlights, better equiped for back seat passengers, the better seats, and IMHO the better exterior. (Plus having foglights is very nice)
Old 02-19-20, 06:48 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Here's my perspective (and I don't have a Lux or an F-Sport!):

If you're someone who spends a lot of time driving, and you're a spirited driver, the F-Sport will be more satisfying. My biggest issue with the F-sport when I test drove (keep in mind i test drove '13 premium vs '13 lux vs '13 F-sport), was that the F-sport's suspension/tires made me feel too much of the imperfections in the roads. However, many Clublexus members have confirmed the '16+ F-sports were dialed back a bit from the '13-'15 model year F-sports.

Around me, its pothole city - you're lucky to find a long stretch of road where there isn't some bump, lump, stump, crack, unevenness...you get the idea. I was coming from the soft, cushy suspension of a 2GS so the F-sport felt very un-Lexus like to me. Thus, the Lux pkg hit all the right marks when I drove it, very comfortable with loads of features. Seats were outstanding, it had the Levinson sound, rear-heated seats - it was basically fully loaded.

It was a Lux pkg black/black that brought me in to the dealership - and of course the particular one was sold before I got there but the listing was still showing up on their website. I drove a premium package with 18" wheels and actually felt like it was a good compromise between the pkgs - price was thousands less (it lacked the better seats and fully loaded feel of the Lux, it also lacked the sporty looks of the F-Sport) but it fit the bill for me personally.

I also commute to work via train and don't drive very much (i've driven 17k miles in 5yrs owning my GS) - so i'm glad I didn't overspend as both the lux/f-sports were more $$$ at the time. The only time I have regrets is when I take longer drives, the seats aren't very comfy after 2+hrs.

Money saved went into getting new tires and a host of little mods here and there. The only way to know for sure is to test drive a '16 Lux pkg and '16 F-sport pkg. It will help you decide for yourself based on what you've prioritized most (budget, ride quality, features, color, etc.). I was dead-set on either a Lux or F-Sport but ended up with neither!
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 07:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I think both packages are great and it's just a matter of preference. I went with the F Sport on my 15 and on my 19 and I'll explain why I chose it over the Lux on my 15 (wasn't offered when I bought my 19).

For the pre-refresh models, I greatly favored the F Sport exterior styling. I thought the non-F sport, whether it be Lux or premium, too closely resembled the ES of the time and didn't look that sporty. I felt that the F Sport package completely addressed what I felt were the shortcomings of the exterior style. Call it vanity, but I want to like the looks of my car, so that was big for me. Beyond that it was a requirement to have AVS. While the luxury package does have a more mild version of AVS, and it has many very nice interior touches, most of them were of little to no value to me. I would have preferred the upgraded leather and front passenger seat, for sure. The side window shades wouldn't have seen use, as I tinted the windows and I have the shades on my Highlander and they never get used. The rear climate control is nice, but I feared my kids would be back there playing with the buttons and again, I have this on the Highlander and it's really not used. Lastly, the availability of heated rear seats is great, but with car seats back there they wouldn't be used anyway. The second row seats of the Highlander are heated and they've never been used.

A lot of the above changes for me if you are looking post-refresh. I think the exterior upgrades, even on the base and luxury trims, have completely remedied any previous shortcomings of the design. It doesn't look like an ES, and looks much more aggressive. In the 2016+ models, the exterior differences between a luxury and an F Sport are not nearly as extreme. Had the luxury package been offered when I bought my 19, I would have at least considered it, whereas I didn't consider it on my 15. But with that said, I have zero regrets about choosing the F Sport both times. My 16 way F Sport seat is the most comfortable seat I've ever had. It would be nice if the passenger seat had the same adjustments, but it's still plenty comfortable and used much less than my driver's seat anyway.

I wish you good luck in finding the right car for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
NickMayer (02-19-20), superboy74 (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 11:15 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nalod
. Would it chafe ones bottom or cause discomfort? I guess its all where you sit!!!!
And if you're driving naked or not! I mean we do have the World Naked Bike Ride here in Portland - maybe there will be a World Naked GS Driving Day

Seriously though - I appreciate the info and thoughts.
Old 02-19-20, 11:38 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by peasodos
I have first hand experience with the standard 10 way adjustable base seats and the 18 way semi-aniline lux seats.
I swapped the base seats for the lux last year:
Thanks for the link! I had found your post and had been reading all about what you did. It gave me some other ideas but as someone pointed out - trying to find used Lux seats is probably harder than finding a Lux. But who knows.....

I definitely agree that either the 16 or 18 way are significantly better than the 10 way. The 10 way on the drivers side is a non-starter for me. I know on longer drives my legs will feel the lack of support.

Old 02-19-20, 12:00 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Could someone clarify - from what I could find the difference between the 16 way F Sport driver seat and the 18 way Lux driver seat is the upper seat angle adjustment? Or is it something else? The owners manual

I know I've seen that adjustment on a car I test drove but I swear it wasn't on the one Lux that I was able find - I swear it was on a different one. The majority of what I've taken for test drives have been F sports so I would think it was on an F sport but I couldn't swear to it. I'm assuming there was no other way to get the 18 way seats other than the Lux package. Or maybe someone swapped the seat out! peasodos may have a side business around the country doing this maybe? <JK> LOL.

I'm wondering if I was in a Lux and didn't realize it somehow - I thought I knew most of the Lux clues ....hmm...this is serious detective work at times......
Old 02-19-20, 12:09 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

LUX will have wood steering wheel, sun shades in rear doors, multi-spoke rims, and ALL the buttons on the side of the front seats
Old 02-19-20, 12:20 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Could someone clarify - from what I could find the difference between the 16 way F Sport driver seat and the 18 way Lux driver seat is the upper seat angle adjustment? Or is it something else? The owners manual

I know I've seen that adjustment on a car I test drove but I swear it wasn't on the one Lux that I was able find - I swear it was on a different one. The majority of what I've taken for test drives have been F sports so I would think it was on an F sport but I couldn't swear to it. I'm assuming there was no other way to get the 18 way seats other than the Lux package. Or maybe someone swapped the seat out! peasodos may have a side business around the country doing this maybe? <JK> LOL.

I'm wondering if I was in a Lux and didn't realize it somehow - I thought I knew most of the Lux clues ....hmm...this is serious detective work at times......
You are correct. The 18-way seats (Luxury package only) can adjust the angle of the upper part of the seatback. In addition, they have what look to be much thicker and plusher headrests that also have a built-in safety feature where they will shoot forward and up to catch your head in the event of being rear-ended. The 16-way F-Sport seats have the more basic headrests (that are not active in the event of being rear-ended) and lack the upper seatback angle adjustment.
The following 2 users liked this post by signdetres:
AJLex19 (02-19-20), JDR76 (02-19-20)

Quick Reply: Lux Pkg vs F Sport