GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Peeled caliper paint now what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20 | 02:14 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davian112
Now i'm scared to wash my car with the power washer. Be a fool to see the paint come right off like washable crayola.
Once you drive the car the heat from the braking will cure the paint, should make the bond stronger.
Old 02-20-20 | 02:20 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Primer might help it stick better too. VHT makes a high temp one
Old 02-20-20 | 02:45 PM
davian112
Driver

These are the products that I used.
Old 02-20-20 | 03:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Why didn't you use VHT Caliper Paint?

Old 02-20-20 | 03:51 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

@bclexus Because Burnt Copper is not available in Caliper Paint, only Engine Paint. Only differences I saw was Engine Paint is good up to 650F where as caliper paint is good all the way to 900F. I don't think my caliper will get anywhere near 650F they way I drive, I don't brake hard or ride my brakes. FWIW, it used the exact same VHT engine paint and clear as Davian and I have no issues at all. I actually didn't do the painting. My mechanic did. He said there is a special technique to do it correctly. And it takes 1-2 days so the paint cure properly before putting on the decals. I didn't do primer either. I believe he put on 3 coats (waiting a few hours in between each coat on a warm day last year). After paint cure for at least 48 hours, then he put on decal very carefully. Then 2 coats of clear on top of the decal.
Old 02-20-20 | 03:57 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Why didn't you use VHT Caliper Paint?

I used the same VHT Burnt Copper Engine Enamel, and it's held up perfectly fine. The calipers are not going to heat up to 600 anyways, unless you track the car.
Old 02-20-20 | 05:05 PM
chinee
Racer

I think you should just scrap your entire plan and go back to black calipers. Put back on your OEM wheels and ship those Velgens to me!

J/K... it looks to me that the paint did not adhere to the surface of the caliper, so that begs the question... how did you clean the calipers? Did you do an IPA wipe down to remove any oils and other contaminants? How did you clean the calipers after sanding? There's obviously something left on the surface of the caliper that prevented the paint from adhering.

Tell us more.
The following 2 users liked this post by chinee:
Gold10460 (02-20-20), ItzFilyO (02-20-20)
Old 02-20-20 | 06:16 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
it looks to me that the paint did not adhere to the surface of the caliper, so that begs the question... how did you clean the calipers? Did you do an IPA wipe down to remove any oils and other contaminants? How did you clean the calipers after sanding? There's obviously something left on the surface of the caliper that prevented the paint from adhering.

Tell us more.
I'm guessing the primer never dried and bonded thoroughly so the color coat and the clearcoat had no more bonding integrity than the inadequately applied base [primer] coat. In other words, the entire paint job is no more durable than the weakest link, which appears to be the primer since it pulled away from the metal.

Here's a good video of someone doing a thorough job of prepping, priming and then painting the calipers, and applying the vinyl decal and then the clearcoat.

Old 02-20-20 | 09:15 PM
davian112
Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
I think you should just scrap your entire plan and go back to black calipers. Put back on your OEM wheels and ship those Velgens to me!

J/K... it looks to me that the paint did not adhere to the surface of the caliper, so that begs the question... how did you clean the calipers? Did you do an IPA wipe down to remove any oils and other contaminants? How did you clean the calipers after sanding? There's obviously something left on the surface of the caliper that prevented the paint from adhering.

Tell us more.
I used soap and water with a tooth brush and brushed away, dried it down then sanded it with 800 grit sandpaper. Wiped it down with some IPA dried it then proceeded to coating with Primer 2 coats waiting about 10 to 15 minutes between coats. Did the same with the paint and gloss. Maybe I don't have the spraying technique down. But yeah that's pretty much how I prepped it.
Old 02-20-20 | 10:51 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I used soap and water with a tooth brush and brushed away, dried it down then sanded it with 800 grit sandpaper. Wiped it down with some IPA dried it then proceeded to coating with Primer 2 coats waiting about 10 to 15 minutes between coats. Did the same with the paint and gloss. Maybe I don't have the spraying technique down. But yeah that's pretty much how I prepped it.
I guess the problem here is your paint never cured before you stuck a decal on and tried to remove it:
These are the vht flameproof instructions.

"EXTREMELY IMPORTANT- After paint is completely dry, it must be cured to substantially increase the durability of the finish and enhance chemical resistance. See curing for details.Curing

Off the Vehicle:
Bake at 250F for 30 minutes, then let cool for 30 minutes. Bake at 400F for 30 minutes, then let cool for 30 minutes. Bake at 600F for 30 minutes, then let cool for 30 minutes. Caution: Do not exceed the heat tolerance of least heat tolerant part. Finish is not chemical resistant until cured.

On the Vehicle:
Run at idle for 10 minutes, then cool for 20 minutes. Run at idle for 20 minutes, then cool for 20 minutes. Run under normal operating conditions for 30 minutes.
Finish is not chemical resistant until cured."

I did the on the vehicle curing instructions, sort of, I just drove the car for 30 minutes, and had no issues. Until the paint is cured you should not be touching it at all with decals or otherwise.
Because you went does to bare metal curing is even more important.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-20-20 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-21-20 | 07:05 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Looks like the primer did not cure enough before you added the paint. I used the VHT Flameproof Orange and Clear on mine but did not use any primer. I cleaned the calipers with VHT Caliper cleaner first then wiped them down and allowed them to dry..I did not sand them. I waited a week before adding the decals and then did 3 coats of clear after. No issues.
Old 02-21-20 | 07:55 AM
RichKnecht
Pit Crew

Hello everyone! I painted my calipers a couple of days ago did everything right hopefully. Cleaned the calipers thoroughly then 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, then 2 coats of gloss. Two days gone by and I got my decals so I decided to put them on. I watched a couple of videos and looks like you put it on and peel off the film part and its done. Not in my case i did the same thing and peeled off very slowly and this what happened! I'm freakin pissed off cause I don't want to go through the whole process again. What would you guys do? Do I have to re do the whole caliper or just that one area? Plus how to you put on the decal without it peeling the paint? Am I doing something wrong? Please advise.
As others have said, I would sand it down, repaint and let it sit for a day. Is that flame orange or burnt copper?
Old 02-21-20 | 08:20 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RichKnecht
As others have said, I would sand it down, repaint and let it sit for a day. Is that flame orange or burnt copper?
He used Burnt copper. This is what the VHT Flameproof Orange look like.

The following users liked this post:
RichKnecht (02-21-20)
Old 02-21-20 | 08:24 AM
RichKnecht
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=TarmacSL3;10740128]He used Burnt copper. This is what the VHT Flameproof Orange look like.

[/Q

Looks great. Seems pretty close to the GS F's color.
Old 02-21-20 | 08:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Somewhere along the line the paint did not adhere properly. Was the 800 grit sand paper brand new or used, was it soaking in water for a while? If it was old sand paper or soaking in water too long it might have been more like 1000grit or higher and could have left the surface too smooth for paint/primer to properly adhere. You may want to try brake or throttle body cleaner on the calipers instead of just IPA, there may have been left over oil or grease on the calipers that was not removed or you possibly just got a bad batch of paint. I would email VHT/Duplicolor(they are absolutely horrible answering questions about their paints and try to blame the user but it may be worth a shot) and see what they say, I would return that paint/primer, show/explain what happened.

I used the VHT burnt copper engine paint, no primer, over a year ago and have had no issues or flaking off, did not sand between coats, your calipers will never get anywhere near 650deg even if you track it. 660degrees melts aluminum so your wheels will start melting if your calipers are getting that hot.

I would just spray over the existing coat first with a new can and see what happens, hold off on the decals.