GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Peeled caliper paint now what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 12:19 PM
davian112
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Peeled caliper paint now what to do?

Hello everyone! I painted my calipers a couple of days ago did everything right hopefully. Cleaned the calipers thoroughly then 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, then 2 coats of gloss. Two days gone by and I got my decals so I decided to put them on. I watched a couple of videos and looks like you put it on and peel off the film part and its done. Not in my case i did the same thing and peeled off very slowly and this what happened! I'm freakin pissed off cause I don't want to go through the whole process again. What would you guys do? Do I have to re do the whole caliper or just that one area? Plus how to you put on the decal without it peeling the paint? Am I doing something wrong? Please advise.
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (09-18-21)
Old 02-20-20, 12:28 PM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

After cleaning the caliper did you just go straight to paining? If so that could be the reason. Typically, it's recommended to slightly sand the surface to allow the paint to stick better. It is also recommended to to let the paint cure for a while, ideally with heat. Not everyone wants to bake the caliper in their oven, but many will go for a drive once the paint dries to heat up the caliper. This should allow the paint to cure properly and not come off like that.
Old 02-20-20, 12:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

What kind of paint did you use? Was it actually paint to be used on calipers? The paint looks like it is very thin in the image, unlike the thicker paint you normally see on calipers...
Old 02-20-20, 12:50 PM
davian112
Driver

Originally Posted by PlPete
After cleaning the caliper did you just go straight to paining? If so that could be the reason. Typically, it's recommended to slightly sand the surface to allow the paint to stick better. It is also recommended to to let the paint cure for a while, ideally with heat. Not everyone wants to bake the caliper in their oven, but many will go for a drive once the paint dries to heat up the caliper. This should allow the paint to cure properly and not come off like that.
Yes I sanded down before painting. I waited two days if that’s enough time but I did it first thing in the morning when it was cold. Should I have heated up the area first?
Old 02-20-20, 12:52 PM
davian112
Driver

I used VHT paint 3 coats. Can I just repaint over the affected area or should I redo the whole caliper?
Old 02-20-20, 12:53 PM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting. Looks like you're in California so not sure what cold really means but most paints will always stick better in a particular temperature range. Did you use a high heat / caliper type paint or regular acrylic?
Old 02-20-20, 01:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davian112
Yes I sanded down before painting. I waited two days if that’s enough time but I did it first thing in the morning when it was cold. Should I have heated up the area first?
We don't know what the temperature was when you say it was 'cold'.

Did you follow the directions?

Shake can for a full one minute after the agitator ball begins to rattle. Repeat for 10 seconds after each 5 minutes of use. Spray a wet, thin, even coat approximately 8 to 10 inches away from surface. Repeat within 10 to 15 minutes until the desired color is achieved. For maximum gloss and protection, spray a final coat holding the can 5 to 6 inches away from the surface being careful to avoid running. Experiment with the distance of the can to achieve the finish you desire.

Apply the coating only when the aerosol can, surface to be painted, and the air temperatures are above 19°C (66°F). Do not use in temperatures of less than 21°C (70°F) on parts that are less than room temperature. Do not use in high humidity unless it will be oven cured. Test spray a small area before starting the project. Apply multiple coats in less than 1 hour or after 24 hours. Coats sprayed between this period may wrinkle, not adhere or not dry properly.

We are frequently asked if VHT Engine Enamels can be painted over a primer or other old paint on the engine. To obtain the best results we recommend the parts be stripped clean of any old paint or primer. Wipe down the surface to be painted with grease and wax remover and prep with either Shellite or brake cleaner. For maximum adhesion and colour consistency we recommend applying VHT Engine Primer (SP148).
If the old paint is intact, remove any dirt, rust, grease, loose paint, etc and lightly sand to a dull finish. Wipe down the surface with grease and wax remover then prep with either Shellite or brake cleaner. The topcoat is only as good as the base coat or condition of the metal. If the substrate gives way, the topcoat will follow.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-20-20 at 01:32 PM.
davian112 (02-20-20)
Old 02-20-20, 01:31 PM
davian112
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
We don't know what the temperature was when you say it was 'cold'. Did you follow the directions?

Do not use in temperatures of less than 21°C (70°F) on parts that are less than room temperature.
Yes, I painted calipers in a garage that was pretty warm, but I tried to put the decal on this morning which was low 50f. So my question is now do I need to redo the whole caliper or redo the middle section?
Old 02-20-20, 01:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Just sand down and repaint the damaged area, if you just throw paint over it, the borders of the old ripped up paint will get highlighted.

I didn't use any primer, just scuffed up the calipers, used a few coats of VHT Burnt copper. Then used 2k clear coat, waited a day before putting the wheels on. Been a year and a winter and the paint job is like the day I painted it(minus the scrap when I put new rims on that were touching the caliper before I got 5mm spacers).

I would just lay down the vinyl decal and put 2k clear over that. That stuff is a 2 part clear coat that makes a really strong and long lasting finish.
Amazon Amazon

Or don't put a decal on the caliper, people already know it's a Lexus, the decal is overdoing it, borderline rice, imo.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-20-20 at 01:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
davian112 (02-20-20), SharpGent (02-20-20)
Old 02-20-20, 01:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I painted calipers in a garage that was pretty warm, but I tried to put the decal on this morning which was low 50f. So my question is now do I need to redo the whole caliper or redo the middle section?
Hard to say! If the paint on the middle section pulled off with just the decal adhesive pulling on it, it's rather doubtful the rest of the paint on the caliper is bonded any better. Obviously, you'd be better off removing the paint and primer and starting over following the directions carefully...maybe even selecting a different brand of caliper paint and primer since VHT didn't perform well for you.
Old 02-20-20, 01:39 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Hard to say! If the paint on the middle section pulled off with just the decal adhesive pulling on it, it's rather doubtful the rest of the paint on the caliper is bonded any better. Obviously, you'd be better off removing the paint and primer and starting over following the directions carefully...maybe even selecting a different brand of caliper paint and primer since VHT didn't perform well for you.
He didn't do something right I used VHT, no primer and 2k clear coat and zero issues.

Your supposed to drive the car a day after painting it. the heat from braking will bake it on to the caliper.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-20-20 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 01:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
He didn't do something right I used VHT, not primer and 2k clear coat and zero issues.
I agree. He didn't shake the can long enough, or the can temperature was too cold, or the caliper was too cold, or there was moisture or high humidity on the caliper, or the primer was not right, or there was something on the caliper surface that prevented the bonding, or, or, or.

It looks like whatever primer he used lifted right off the caliper, so...
Old 02-20-20, 01:56 PM
davian112
Driver

All of you are correct, there is definitely something I did wrong. My other calipers might be the same as well. I'll just repaint the damaged area and just go from there. If it peels off or the other calipers start to peel than obviously my fault. I don't feel like doing all four calipers over again. It is what it is
Old 02-20-20, 02:00 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

All of you are correct, there is definitely something I did wrong. My other calipers might be the same as well. I'll just repaint the damaged area and just go from there. If it peels off or the other calipers start to peel than obviously my fault. I don't feel like doing all four calipers over again. It is what it is
I didn't bother priming it since the calipers were already painted, all I did was clean and scuff it with a scotch bright. BC is right the failure point appears to be the primer or any contamination between the primer and the bare metal.
davian112 (02-20-20)
Old 02-20-20, 02:13 PM
davian112
Driver

Now i'm scared to wash my car with the power washer. Be a fool to see the paint come right off like washable crayola.

Quick Reply: Peeled caliper paint now what to do?