GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car hit in parking lot this weekend :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 10:28 AM
jlandry287
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yeah that's beyond PDR work, that's going to need bodywork and repaint unless you can source a good condition used door. Bodyshop might just end up replacing the door all together new or used.

Other than the dent how are the gaps around the door? If that's off they will replace the door not mess with fixing the existing door. Is the front fender or rear door affected?
Surprisingly the front fender and back door are not messed up. There's a small scuff on the back door but it will buff out with a little work. Not dented or anything though.

Originally Posted by RichKnecht
Wow, that really sucks. No doubt the person who hit your car knew what they had done. Are there any parking lot cameras?
No doubt that the person who hit it knew they did. Unfortunately there were not any cameras, so this is all going to financially fall on me.

Originally Posted by superboy74
It can be fixed but a used door might be better, because most body shop would not want to fix that damage. https://imageappky.car-part.com/imag...3%2000170222#1 that way you dont have pay a shop to respray the door or get the new door.A good shop may charge you $350 to $400 for the work to respray the new door. Keep in mind Toyota water base paint is a bit pricey.
I'm going to check the junk yards around here this weekend, I highly doubt I'll find anything but It can never hurt to look. I've also checked eBay, but most of the listings have some sort of damage. I figure if the door seals fine I could just replace the outer shell and have that painted because that would most likely be A LOT cheaper than a whole new door assembly.

Originally Posted by bclexus
Let your insurance handle it...
I'm starting to lean more towards that route. I wanted to keep them out of this at first, but since this is a "not at fault" I don't foresee it effecting my rates too badly. I'm going to get a few quotes from some reputable body shops first, if it's around the same price as the deductible I'll go that route. If not, it's gonna be on the insurance company.
The following users liked this post:
superboy74 (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 10:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by jlandry287
I'm starting to lean more towards that route. I wanted to keep them out of this at first, but since this is a "not at fault" I don't foresee it effecting my rates too badly. I'm going to get a few quotes from some reputable body shops first, if it's around the same price as the deductible I'll go that route. If not, it's gonna be on the insurance company.
Contact your insurance and tell them what you know. Let them (not you) handle ALL the details needed to get the car repaired. The hell with you calling junkyards searching for parts and crap. Who are you kidding! Tell them you need a rental also. Tell them you want OE parts. Tell them you want it fixed like it's brand new. YOU ARE THEIR CLIENT!!! What you are not thinking correctly about is the absolute fact that you pay a monthly premium for your insurance to care of exactly this circumstance. Don't avoid dealing with your insurance. You should be seeking their help and attention. Let them handle it...
NatGen (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 11:29 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Wow. There's no reason to try to repair this on your own out of pocket. This is some serious damage. There's a reason why we purchase insurance.
Old 02-25-20, 11:56 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Once you call your insurance company, a notation will be on carfax of an accident. It'll screw up your resale and trade in value. In this situation, I'd pay out of pocket. The repaint will be noticeable to a dealer for trade in but not as bad as a carfax accident report which everyone can see, including private buyers. Everyone has given you great advice so far other than recommendation to sell it.
EDIT If the cost of repairs is way over your deductible you may wish to file a claim. It's not black and white at what dollar point one might make this choice.

Last edited by swfla; 02-25-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 12:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Once you call your insurance company, a notation will be on carfax as an accident. It'll screw up your resale and trade in value. In this situation, I'd pay out of pocket. The repaint will be noticeable to a dealer for trade in but not as bad as a carfax accident. Everyone has given you great advice so far other than recommendation to sell it.
Agree get it fixed out of pocket if you plan on trading the car in. Or shop for a good used door and have a body shop swap it.

Car-parts.com to search all the junkyards nationwide. Also eBay.
Old 02-25-20, 12:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Count me firmly in the "let insurance handle it" camp. That's what it's there for.
Old 02-25-20, 12:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Good Lord - the car is 7 years old. It may have 100k miles on it. Any Carfax addition if insurance takes care of the repairs won't make any difference to the car's value.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-25-20 at 07:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
DiezDos (02-28-20), Markw4mms (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 12:52 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Once you call your insurance company, a notation will be on carfax as an accident. It'll screw up your resale and trade in value. In this situation, I'd pay out of pocket. The repaint will be noticeable to a dealer for trade in but not as bad as a carfax accident. Everyone has given you great advice so far other than recommendation to sell it.
Wait, if he informed his insurance it would appear as "Accident Reported" or would it appear as "Damage Reported" on the Carfax report?
Old 02-25-20, 12:58 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Good Lord - the car is 7 years old. It may have 100k miles on it. Any Carfax addition if insurance take care of the repairs won't make any difference to the car's value.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!

It's incredible what some people do to try to save a buck.
Old 02-25-20, 01:00 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Good grief, this is being penny wise and dollar foolish. You pay for insurance for a reason, just claim it and be done with it.
Markw4mms (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 01:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by azipod
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!

It's incredible what some people do to try to save a buck.
His car will take a 3-5k hit in trade in value.

If it's only the door you can replace it with a good used door and not have to worry about the paint. That what I would do, but a good used door for several hundred and swap it out myself.
If it's the rear door and fender also damaged then you need the bodyshop.

Doesn't hurt to shop around and get a price from a body shop before going though insurance, especially with $1000 deductible.

I found a bodyshop and paid for my repair when someone backed into the hood of my car, also changed my bumper to f-sport
Old 02-25-20, 01:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
Good grief, this is being penny wise and dollar foolish. You pay for insurance for a reason, just claim it and be done with it.
I pay $26 a month for no coverage, that's why I paid out of pocket and dealt with the bodyshop myself, and changed my bumper to f-sport

My carfax is clean
Old 02-25-20, 01:20 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peasodos
I pay $26 a month for no coverage, that's why I paid out of pocket and dealt with the bodyshop myself, and changed my bumper to f-sport

My carfax is clean
I hear ya P, but, you're kind of the GS guru round here. You can turn a GS inside out and put it back together again. This guy may not have the skills as you do to get the job done right. There are so many things you can do that most of us here don't.
Old 02-25-20, 01:22 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jlandry287
Here’s 2 pictures that kind of detail the damage. The door is pretty smashed in and has paint chips, so popping the dent out wouldn’t fully fix the problem.

I’m in Louisiana and have uninsured motorists coverage, but I’m pretty certain that has to have another vehicle involved to make a claim (not positive though). I have comprehensive coverage, but that’s primarily for stuff like hail damage. Since another vehicle was involved I’m sure they would rule it as a “not at fault collision”.
I can't believe this happened to you. Sometimes things happen in life that are out of our control. I'm very sorry you have to experience this I would be so angry if anyone ever did this to my car.
Old 02-25-20, 01:22 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Oh, I forgot, BC is a guru here too! I don't want to be biased to just one guy.

Quick Reply: Car hit in parking lot this weekend :(