GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New 2016 GS 350 AWD Owner - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-20, 09:57 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default New 2016 GS 350 AWD Owner - Questions

I picked up a 2016 GS 350 AWD in white with flaxen interior pretty much fully loaded for $32,600 total (negotiated for an additional three year CPO-warranty that brings me almost to 2026.) It had almost exactly 30,000 miles on it when I bought it with brand new Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires, fresh oil change etc. So far 1,500 miles later I'm really happy.

I drive a lot (20-25,000 miles/year) and in my experience proper routine maintenance has always been key to keeping my Lexus' running smoothly. I'm hoping some folks can verify some info for me:

1) There's some engine chatter and rattle I can distinctively hear. Sounds like maybe a noisy pulley. But I've also read the fuel injection is louder on these cars. Anyone else noticing this?
2) Oil changes are actually every 10,000 miles? Does anyone change it more frequently?
3) Tire rotations on AWD models are at 5,000 miles?

Thank you

The following 2 users liked this post by GoodRevs:
AJLex19 (02-28-20), CAKETOWN (03-01-20)
Old 02-28-20, 10:04 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Ah, look at that beauty! It's like a snow leopard.

This engine (2GR-FKS) is a bit noisy on idle, though less so than the 2GR-FSE that I had on my 15. There is some ticking from the injectors, but I haven't experienced any rattling.

As for oil changes, I just do mine every 12 months. I only put on about 7500 miles a year, max. Recommendation is indeed 12 months or 10k miles.

I have my tires rotated every 5k miles and have had pretty good life out of them.
Old 02-28-20, 10:14 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

@GoodRevs Great choice with White on flaxen - Congrats!

Personally have done oil changes after 12k miles without issue on Mobile 1 Extended Performance synthetic. You do a lot of driving but a 10k oil interval is recommended. And since you drive a lot, 5k for AWD tire rotation is a good idea.
Old 09-13-20, 02:42 PM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depends on where you live, high elevation areas need to change the oil less than 5k miles but dealership recommended to change the oil every 5~6k miles or 1 year
Old 09-13-20, 11:32 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
I picked up a 2016 GS 350 AWD in white with flaxen interior pretty much fully loaded for $32,600 total (negotiated for an additional three year CPO-warranty that brings me almost to 2026.) It had almost exactly 30,000 miles on it when I bought it with brand new Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires, fresh oil change etc. So far 1,500 miles later I'm really happy.

I drive a lot (20-25,000 miles/year) and in my experience proper routine maintenance has always been key to keeping my Lexus' running smoothly. I'm hoping some folks can verify some info for me:

1) There's some engine chatter and rattle I can distinctively hear. Sounds like maybe a noisy pulley. But I've also read the fuel injection is louder on these cars. Anyone else noticing this?
2) Oil changes are actually every 10,000 miles? Does anyone change it more frequently?
3) Tire rotations on AWD models are at 5,000 miles?

Thank you
Beautiful car....looks amazing with that color in the snow....sounds similar to me - I negotiated in a set of all-weather floor liners and the additional warranty.

From what I've read and heard, these engines do tend to have a bit of noise at idle, I noticed it on a number of the ones I test drove and early on ignored a couple cars because I thought something was possibly wrong. There are plenty of discussions about either noise from the fuel pump or noise from the injectors. Generally the noise should go away pretty quickly - some folks say a few seconds, I've noticed it seems to be closer to a minute. Usually it's first thing in the morning, not when heading home from work (we don't get very cold here). I don't seem to hear it as much this summer as I did back when I first got the car in February. There have been a few other discussions about chattering hopefully some others with more experience with the car can comment too. Some have mentioned the VVTi camshaft so you might search and read about that a little as well as the idle pulley for the timing chain.

Here's one good thread that goes back and forth about a few of the possibilities...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...startup-2.html

I'll likely do the 10k/12 month oil change as long as I know it's a very good/recommended synthetic. Since mine's under the CPO program it'll go to the dealer for the oil changes for now...

I was always taught to rotate every other to every third oil change - which back in the day worked out to every 5000 to 7500 miles I'll likely keep with that on my AWD. Rotating can really help get longer life out of the tires so I think its best to do a bit more frequently than to wait too long.

PS - so what were your impressions with the AWD in the snow? I did AWD for the once in a while when we get snow. Plenty of folks have said even the RWD does well in snow with proper snow/winter tires.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 09-13-20 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 12:35 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Beautiful car....looks amazing with that color in the snow....sounds similar to me - I negotiated in a set of all-weather floor liners and the additional warranty.

From what I've read and heard, these engines do tend to have a bit of noise at idle, I noticed it on a number of the ones I test drove and early on ignored a couple cars because I thought something was possibly wrong. There are plenty of discussions about either noise from the fuel pump or noise from the injectors. Generally the noise should go away pretty quickly - some folks say a few seconds, I've noticed it seems to be closer to a minute. Usually it's first thing in the morning, not when heading home from work (we don't get very cold here). I don't seem to hear it as much this summer as I did back when I first got the car in February. There have been a few other discussions about chattering hopefully some others with more experience with the car can comment too. Some have mentioned the VVTi camshaft so you might search and read about that a little as well as the idle pulley for the timing chain.

Here's one good thread that goes back and forth about a few of the possibilities...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...startup-2.html

I'll likely do the 10k/12 month oil change as long as I know it's a very good/recommended synthetic. Since mine's under the CPO program it'll go to the dealer for the oil changes for now...

I was always taught to rotate every other to every third oil change - which back in the day worked out to every 5000 to 7500 miles I'll likely keep with that on my AWD. Rotating can really help get longer life out of the tires so I think its best to do a bit more frequently than to wait too long.

PS - so what were your impressions with the AWD in the snow? I did AWD for the once in a while when we get snow. Plenty of folks have said even the RWD does well in snow with proper snow/winter tires.
I rotate my tires every 10k miles when I do my oil change. The exact interval doesn't matter as long as your consistent. Rotating every 5k is overkill. I have about 35k miles on my Pirelli Cinturano P7 All Season Plus and still plenty of tread left.