Leaking Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 06:24 PM
zboras
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Trunk

Good Evening Guys,

Very new to this forum and I'm glad I found it.

I have a 2017 GS350 FSport and I have been going back and forth with the dealer and Lexus Canada for the last year and a half regarding a leaking trunk. Every time I take my car through the car wash my trunk gets wet. It got to the point that my license screws got rusted and they broke off when I was trying to put the sticker on my license plate. One time water got into my laptop that I had in the trunk. It's so frustrating. The car costs around 70k here in Canada and the only reason I went with Lexus vs Mercedes was because it was supposed to be dependable. I spoke to Lexus Canada representative last week and after a year and a half of their investigations they told me to find a different car wash. So upsetting.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-11-20, 06:37 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Sorry to hear your plight. I've seen at least one thread about leaking trunk but can't remember which model. Do a search on this forum right side top of where threads "search this forum". Welcome to the forum. Sometimes search produces all you need. Sometimes Lexus won't help with a problem even under warranty. It happens.
Old 03-11-20, 06:43 PM
zboras
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
Sorry to hear your plight. I've seen at least one thread about leaking trunk but can't remember which model. Do a search on this forum right side top of where threads "search this forum". Welcome to the forum. Sometimes search produces all you need. Sometimes Lexus won't help with a problem even under warranty. It happens.
Thank you. I will do the search. It has been a frustrating experience, hopefully I can get to the bottom of thia somehow.
Old 03-11-20, 06:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...for-water.html

Old 03-11-20, 07:16 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I had water in my trunk, fried my amplifier. I was pretty pissed. I never had it professionally investigated before my car was totaled in November 2019. Lexus took a quick look at it for free and said they didn’t see anything obvious. I was involved in an accident at one point that left a very tiny dent above the wheel at 12 o’clock. Could have caused the leak but I don’t know.
Old 03-11-20, 07:18 PM
zboras
Driver School Candidate

This is great - thank you. I wish I knew it before I spent 70k on the car

Old 03-11-20, 07:24 PM
zboras
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I had water in my trunk, fried my amplifier. I was pretty pissed. I never had it professionally investigated before my car was totaled in November 2019. Lexus took a quick look at it for free and said they didn’t see anything obvious. I was involved in an accident at one point that left a very tiny dent above the wheel at 12 o’clock. Could have caused the leak but I don’t know.
Thank you - I never had any accidents on the car - I think it’s a design flaw.
Old 03-11-20, 07:25 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by zboras
This is great - thank you. I wish I knew it before I spent 70k on the car
Sorry to hear about your troubles. if your car is under warranty do not let Lexus get away with that ****. Be the squeaky wheel. My car was not under warranty, and as I mentioned, I had been involved in a minor accident that dented a panel in the area of the leak, so I did not pursue it with Lexus. If my car was under warranty you bet I would be going after them.

edit: you could try getting an opinion from a reputable body shop. They may have someone who could test for leaks for you.
The following users liked this post:
zboras (03-12-20)
Old 03-11-20, 08:12 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Talk to an attorney. (just a consult) Sometimes a letter along with statement from bodyshop will get things going. Keep your expectations reasonable and know when to walk away by trading it in somewhere besides the Lexus dealer. I'm 60 and have had to eat it more than once in my life. Once on a car due to a careless mechanic. It all depends on your tolerance level for this kind of stuff.
Old 03-12-20, 07:24 AM
zboras
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Sorry to hear about your troubles. if your car is under warranty do not let Lexus get away with that ****. Be the squeaky wheel. My car was not under warranty, and as I mentioned, I had been involved in a minor accident that dented a panel in the area of the leak, so I did not pursue it with Lexus. If my car was under warranty you bet I would be going after them.

edit: you could try getting an opinion from a reputable body shop. They may have someone who could test for leaks for you.
That's a great idea - thank you.
Old 03-12-20, 07:28 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Another member had the same problem turned out to be a hole in a pinch weld in the rear wheel arch.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
swfla (03-12-20), zboras (03-12-20)