Fender rolling fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-20, 11:01 PM
Mtandle
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fender rolling fix

Mtandle , Today 08:38 PM
I had my fenders rolled today. Definitely should not have cause it was cold and rainy. Rear fenders came out perfec . Fronts are sharp and the paint looks like its gonna start chipping up the fender. do I have to get the whole front fender painted or can a good body shop blend it in and reclear?? Really upsetting, anyone with feedback or that have had experience going through this please throw your input in. Ty
Edit Quote Multi
Old 03-13-20, 02:26 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Got a pic?

I don't mean this to sound like an "I told you so" but if you do ricer **** you're going to have ricer problems. These cars have a metal surface treatment (often galvanization), then primer, then enamel, then clear coat that gets baked on. It's a really high quality finish and does great against rust until you make cracks in it by doing stuff like rolling the fenders. I would take it to a body shop and see what they can do. At a minimum I would want a new layer of clear coat if the actual pigmented enamel isn't jacked up. Just make sure you get it done right to hold off the rust as long as possible.

Last edited by eddie420; 03-13-20 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (03-13-20)
Old 03-13-20, 08:51 AM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Slightly irrelevant to rolling fenders, but when I had my crash, I was surprised how easily the paint just flaked off. @mkmckinley makes good points.

mkmckinley (03-13-20)
Old 03-13-20, 09:47 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mkmckinley
Got a pic?

I don't mean this to sound like an "I told you so" but if you do ricer **** you're going to have ricer problems. These cars have a metal surface treatment (often galvanization), then primer, then enamel, then clear coat that gets baked on. It's a really high quality finish and does great against rust until you make cracks in it by doing stuff like rolling the fenders. I would take it to a body shop and see what they can do. At a minimum I would want a new layer of clear coat if the actual pigmented enamel isn't jacked up. Just make sure you get it done right to hold off the rust as long as possible.
hahah you will see more and more of this as these cars get cheaper and cheaper. I see many used under $15K on FB marketplace in my area.
mkmckinley (03-13-20)
Old 03-13-20, 11:06 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
hahah you will see more and more of this as these cars get cheaper and cheaper. I see many used under $15K on FB marketplace in my area.
Exactly. I've been seeing a lot more new bone-head GS owners in recent months. No offense to OP.
Old 03-13-20, 04:07 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yeah, I grew out of the super aggressive fitment and rolling fenders and the likes. Not that I've ever done it before, I just never like the idea of messing with any body parts to make any wheels and tires fit. I'd rather get wheels and tires setup that fit without modding anything. But nowadays I like to leave everything stock and focus more on detailing and I'm only 31 BTW..

There's nothing wrong with personalizing ur car to ur liking but once u start messing with paint, it'll be more headache down the road.
Old 03-13-20, 04:33 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yeah, I grew out of the super aggressive fitment and rolling fenders and the likes. Not that I've ever done it before, I just never like the idea of messing with any body parts to make any wheels and tires fit. I'd rather get wheels and tires setup that fit without modding anything. But nowadays I like to leave everything stock and focus more on detailing and I'm only 31 BTW..

There's nothing wrong with personalizing ur car to ur liking but once u start messing with paint, it'll be more headache down the road.
I so agree with you! If the car doesn't look good stock, then why buy it. Detailing is where it's at for me too. Lot of guys are taking delivery of their new Vettes and already tearing them apart.
Old 03-13-20, 05:42 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Nothing wrong with buying a new car and then immediately customized it to your liking. But, cutting, rolling, modifying fenders to fit super aggressive fitment is a risky move. Do it right is one thing, but do it with fly-by-night body shop is asking for troubles. Now I understand why guys with nice builds leave their cars at body shops for months. And throw half their cars worth in mods. It takes time and 💰 to do it right. Most knuckle heads with $15K to spend take shortcuts that ruins a nice car.
Old 03-13-20, 07:00 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

I like a few aesthetic things (tints, chrome delete, fogs, suspension), but everything beyond that is detailing (I specialize in paint correction). Wheels with the right offset from the beginning (no rolling) is where it's at. I LOVE the look of a tucked wheel, but I also know it's not something I would do to this car.