GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fog light to headlights or parking light 13 F sport help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 08:07 AM
itztwinki3
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fog light to headlights or parking light 13 F sport help

So I had some time yesterday to install aftermarket fog lights and they look great on the car.
My question here is, is it possible to remove the on/off switch(3 wires connected to the switch) that the harness came with and have it wired directly to parking lights or headlights? If so, how?
What I am trying to do is every time the parking light is on or head lights come on the fogs will automatically come on as well.

type of hardness I used.

Pic below of my install and it being on at night.

Any help will be great appreciated thanks.
Old 03-16-20, 10:13 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm surprised that your fog light kit wiring harness doesn't already link to your low beam headlights since that's the standard way they work. I sure wouldn't want to not be able to turn off front fog lights which can sometimes blind and really anger other drivers.

But if you wanted to do that, you would connect the trigger terminal of your fog light relay to a positive wire leading to one of the headlights or parking lights. Most relays have markings that show which terminal does what.

Have you adjusted the aim of your new fog lights? Based on your photo, they look like they are emitting significant upward glare. If your fog lights don't have a European country approval code on them, they could be poor. There's a lot of trash fog light kits being sold in the Internet including some supposedly name brands. For example, most fog lights on vehicles manufactured by Toyota have the "E2" approval code representing France. Here's one of many websites with a list of country approval codes: https://www.truckelectrics.com/blogs...is-e1-the-best
Old 03-16-20, 12:04 PM
itztwinki3
Rookie

would you know which one is the trigger terminal according to this relay?

Old 03-16-20, 12:09 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@itztwinki3 Read though these Helpful threads for tapping parking lights:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-install.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-started.html
Old 03-16-20, 12:31 PM
itztwinki3
Rookie

@AJLex19
I've gone through those threads thanks. But I am still lost, as you can see my wiring harness up top prior posts. Which one of those wire/cable or from the relay would I use to connect to the parking light?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-20, 01:14 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by itztwinki3
would you know which one is the trigger terminal according to this relay?
The actual coil (that activates the relay terminals 87 & 30) are terminals 85 and 86. One of those two coil terminals is chassis ground. The 'other' coil terminal is the so-called 'trigger' terminal, or the terminal that receives voltage that operates the relay. In this case (with a vehicle) the voltage is [obviously] assumed to be 12 volt DC. Thus, if you apply 12VDC to the trigger terminal (with of course the other coil terminal connected to chassis ground) the coil will be energized, and that electromagnetic event will cause the mechanical action of closing the 'normally-open' (a.k.a. NO) relay terminals 87 & 30 to close, thereby operating a load (e.g. lamp or motor, etc.) with its own separately sourced voltage.

With the above knowledge you are now tasked with finding out which of the two coil terminals (85 and 86) is the chassis ground terminal - because the 'other' coil terminal is the trigger terminal that 12VDC is applied to that energizes the coil that in-turn operates the relay. The best way to determine which coil terminal is chassis ground is to use a Volt Ohm Meter (VOM) used on 'continuity' to see which coil terminal is the same continuity as the car's chassis (ground). Once you know that the 'other' coil terminal is the trigger terminal that receives voltage that operates the relay.
The following users liked this post:
Kansas (03-16-20)
Old 03-16-20, 03:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

And if you want to be able to turn your fog lights or and off, run the trigger wire through your dashboard mounted switch. The switch that came with your kit isn't too great since it is held in place only by little springs. There are better switches on Amazon that are held in place by a retaining nut behind the dashboard panel. You might even find one that has a fog light symbol on it. If you don't, there's a guy in Australia who has custom etched symbols on round switches for me - he does wonderful work, shipping is quick and he may already have what you need in stock so that you wouldn't have to pay for custom etching: https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/

Last edited by Kansas; 03-17-20 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelling correction