Tire Cut

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 11:41 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Tire Cut

Guys,

So just last week I got brand new tires (Continental DWS 06) on my 19 inch Velgen wheels. On the weekend when I was driving back in Manhattan, NYC I hit pothole and immediately started loosing air on my front left tire. Upon inspection I noticed there was big cut on the tire however luckily there was no damage on the wheel. I had to get a new tire because apparently this one could not be repaired due to the location of the damage.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I'm trying to understand this type of damage so I can avoid it for the future. The tire pressure that I am currently running is 36 psi cold.

Old 03-19-20, 11:59 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I run 40psi cold. But Cali streets are not as bad as you East Coasters. Sorry to hear. Hope you didn't have wheel damage too. If i lived over there, I would not lower or run low-profile tires.
The following users liked this post:
Stanford9 (03-25-20)
Old 03-19-20, 12:26 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

It looks like the sidewall is bubbled as well which means it was a pretty big hit. I've done that before on a big pothole in the San Fran area. Like jdpdata said, you can try running a higher pressure, but the main thing is to avoid the potholes, or go across them slower. Not really a solution per se.
NJLEXES (03-19-20)
Old 03-19-20, 01:03 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Blew out two tires on my pop's 17" OEM wheels (2011 GS350) with Dunlops a few years back on a pothole that I didn't think was that deep. Damage was similar - had to have both tires replaced. Although larger wheels with skinnier profile tires tend to get damaged more easily, really any tire profile is susceptible...its these damn potholes!

Do you have any tire warranty? I know tirerack offers road hazard protection for 2years with all their tires...
Old 03-19-20, 01:39 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Yup, road hazard insurance is a must. Not only for low profile tires, but any tires. Pays for itself if you have a un-repairable tire like in this case.
This is one of the reason I purchase all my tires with American's Tires (Discount Tires) . They're one of few shops that still offer road hazard. Costco is another good option, but I don't trust there techs with my wheels.
Old 03-19-20, 02:42 PM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mfaheem
Guys,

So just last week I got brand new tires (Continental DWS 06) on my 19 inch Velgen wheels. On the weekend when I was driving back in Manhattan, NYC I hit pothole and immediately started loosing air on my front left tire. Upon inspection I noticed there was big cut on the tire however luckily there was no damage on the wheel. I had to get a new tire because apparently this one could not be repaired due to the location of the damage.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I'm trying to understand this type of damage so I can avoid it for the future. The tire pressure that I am currently running is 36 psi cold.
OP, glad to hear the wheel was okay, hopefully you were able to take advantage of Continentals Total confidence plan. They are one of the few manufacturers who offers road hazard coverage on a new tire. Regardless of where the tires were bought they are supported by the manufacturer, here is a bit more info on that Continental Total Confidence Plan | Discount Tire

@jdpdata

Thank you for your business and the shout out! Glad to hear the stores are taking care of you. Should you ever need any assistance on our end please feel free to reach out.

jdpdata (03-19-20)
Old 03-19-20, 03:13 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Tire damages are often mind-boggling, like how the F did that happen?! Screws got inserted sideways, cuts on weird locations, etc.
Old 03-19-20, 04:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Tire damages are often mind-boggling, like how the F did that happen?! Screws got inserted sideways, cuts on weird locations, etc.
Do you let your wife drive it? That might explain things!
Old 03-19-20, 07:16 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

looks like a well placed pot hole got you. i always cringe when i see bubbles on tires. its not offensive, but why do i keep looking at them like its a sickness?
Old 03-19-20, 07:39 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

I'd blame it on DeBlasio.
Old 03-19-20, 08:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

You popped your sidewall from hitting a pothole. This is common with low profile tires. Happened to my brothers Tesla Model 3 Performance.
Old 03-19-20, 09:28 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I've gotten like 9 nails in my tires in the past 15 years or so, and was only able to patch 3 or 4 of them. 275 wide tire and somehow it usually gets stuck in the outer 1" and misses the middle 225mm lol. Maybe I should start getting them at Discount Tire
Old 03-20-20, 08:10 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Do you let your wife drive it? That might explain things!
Oh no, it was all ME!

Originally Posted by kietlander
looks like a well placed pot hole got you. i always cringe when i see bubbles on tires. its not offensive, but why do i keep looking at them like its a sickness?
It's a sickness for me too, I'd get it replaced right away.
Old 03-20-20, 11:47 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank you all for the great and informative responses. It looks like it was just my unlucky day and there was nothing that I could have done differently other than avoiding the potholes. Two lessons learned though:

1. Purchase a tire protection plan

2. Avoid potholes like the plague
Old 03-20-20, 01:17 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, u can't really avoid these things. I've tried!

Quick Reply: Tire Cut