GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Possible undercarriage damage? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 01:35 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Possible undercarriage damage? Pics

Hey guys, is anyone able to look just behind their front left wheel where the spare wheel jack goes? I was having a look at my shiny new tyres yesterday and noticed this.

It looks like the pinch weld is bent. Is anyone else's like that? Rust isn't a concern where I live but I hope it's only cosmetic? I can't quite tell but I worry that the floor has been pushed up a little, is it worth having repaired?
Old 03-23-20, 01:50 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Hey guys, is anyone able to look just behind their front left wheel where the spare wheel jack goes? I was having a look at my shiny new tyres yesterday and noticed this.

It looks like the pinch weld is bent. Is anyone else's like that? Rust isn't a concern where I live but I hope it's only cosmetic? I can't quite tell but I worry that the floor has been pushed up a little, is it worth having repaired?
Get a pair of pliers or vice grips and straighten it out, only cosmetic. Some idiot jacked the car on the pinch weld without the hokey puck with slot or the adapter and mangled it up.

Last edited by peasodos; 03-24-20 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 01:59 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

I had the same exact issue. Inexperienced garage lifted the car up and pinched them. Makes no functional difference if you leave them that way.
Old 03-23-20, 02:06 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Get a pair of pliers of vice grips and straighten it out, only cosmetic. Some idiot jacked the car on the pinch weld without the hokey puck with slot or the adapter and mangled it up.
I have a set of the wide vice grips at work, that'll do the job. It doesn't need heat or anything like that? It's weird that the rears are perfect. I've never seen this on any car I've owned.
Old 03-24-20, 03:11 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I have a set of the wide vice grips at work, that'll do the job. It doesn't need heat or anything like that? It's weird that the rears are perfect. I've never seen this on any car I've owned.
No heat needed that metal bends easily. I don't know why Lexus puts thin metal in the pinch weld, my last car Honda Civic had a much thicker stronger pinch weld for a jack stand, and didn't need the hockey puck or adapter, just put the jack straight to the pinch weld.
Old 03-24-20, 05:09 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

I was checking my car out over the weekend and noticed the same thing, bent pinch welds. Didn't realize they are bendable back into place with vicegrips, so I will give it a try. I will need to jack the car up a little for the fog light replacement. There is no way a normal human can fit under our car even a little. I don't understand why anyone would/could lower these even more with lowering springs. What I don't understand is the jacking points under the car, seem to be way under the car. Who has a small enough jack to get way under there, then be able to pump it up without smashing the car with the handle? I understand we can jack up the frame rail in the front, and put a jack stand under the pinch weld, but in the back, I think the frame rail is hidden underneath the plastic shroud.
Old 03-24-20, 11:12 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
I was checking my car out over the weekend and noticed the same thing, bent pinch welds. Didn't realize they are bendable back into place with vicegrips, so I will give it a try. I will need to jack the car up a little for the fog light replacement. There is no way a normal human can fit under our car even a little. I don't understand why anyone would/could lower these even more with lowering springs. What I don't understand is the jacking points under the car, seem to be way under the car. Who has a small enough jack to get way under there, then be able to pump it up without smashing the car with the handle? I understand we can jack up the frame rail in the front, and put a jack stand under the pinch weld, but in the back, I think the frame rail is hidden underneath the plastic shroud.
I use a hockey puck with a slot in it to jack it at the pinch weld, no direct pressure on the pinch weld itself, just on both sides of it. Otherwise you use the jack stand in the trunk.

Last edited by peasodos; 03-24-20 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-24-20, 12:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Yeah that's telltale sign of a mouth breather lifting your car. You should get a hockey puck jack pad adapter. get a rubber mallet and carefully tap it back into place.

Actually a jack pad adapter supplements pressure on the pinch seam itself with support from the sides. you want all three. not 2/3 (ideally) so the jack pad adapter is semi-soft and molds itself to the seam and surrounding area. Those kinds of bends happen when the technician uses a small lifting point and the car shifts to the side

ideally you'll want to use a hard point if you can like a front or rear hard point.
Old 03-25-20, 08:39 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

It seems to be a common thing on the 4th gen. Mine is also bent.
Old 03-26-20, 12:29 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

You need this to jack the car properly with a floor jack at the pinch weld jack points.

Old 03-26-20, 08:00 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

So my question is, if you jack the car up at the pinch welds, where do you put the jack stands then? I want to change out my fog lights and lift the car a little to make some room, but not enough to take the tires off. Obviously don’t want to leave on jack while I am slightly underneath it.
Old 03-26-20, 08:29 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Extreme caution needs to be taken when jacking with a hockey puck. The puck can slide off the base of the jack while jacking and destroy the undercarriage. Someone on here posted a video of a guy jacking up his GSF and did thousands in damage to his car. Does anyone have that video that they can post here?
Old 03-26-20, 08:35 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
Extreme caution needs to be taken when jacking with a hockey puck. The puck can slide off the base of the jack while jacking and destroy the undercarriage. Someone on here posted a video of a guy jacking up his GSF and did thousands in damage to his car. Does anyone have that video that they can post here?
That moron on youtube stacked two pucks on top of each other, that's why it slid off.

I have used the single puck many time and on my previous car and zero issues. There is a lip on the edge of the floor jack that prevents it from coming off and the pinch weld goes into the groove in the puck so it's not going anywhere.
Old 03-26-20, 08:40 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
So my question is, if you jack the car up at the pinch welds, where do you put the jack stands then?
Best to use a floor jack under a central jack point and then put jack stands beside the pinch welds.
Old 03-26-20, 08:47 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Best to use a floor jack under a central jack point and then put jack stands beside the pinch welds.
I'll use the floorjack and puck when doing a brake job or oil change(I only jack up the driver side for an oil change with the floor jack and put a jackstand under the car just in case).

I've had the entire car on jackstands when I painted my calipers, 4 on the pinch weld jack points, one under the rear diff, and one under the front jack point, had no issues with the pinch welds. I just used car jacks from few other cars, floorjack, and a stand.
The following users liked this post:
Hues10 (03-27-20)

Quick Reply: Possible undercarriage damage? Pics