GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS Not Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-20, 12:12 PM
UBMGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
the gs in its current form is eol, nadm dont want it on their lots as its a hard sell. The mirai was designed from the ground up to be the successor to the current gs. Last minute the program was redirected and reworked to become the mirai posted above. I guess lexus wasnt happy, and now the original plans to launch it are back in motion. This is the newest rumor/news and yet to be confirmed.
eol?

Nadm?
Old 03-25-20, 02:21 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by UBMGS
eol?

Nadm?
EOL= End of Life
NADM= North American Domestic Market
Old 03-25-20, 02:56 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Man, these threads are like rollercoasters, get my hopes up in one post and then bring them down in the next lol...we need a 5GS!
The following users liked this post:
SaintChuck (04-01-20)
Old 03-25-20, 04:04 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts

Last edited by websurfer; 03-25-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-25-20, 04:08 PM
UBMGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

We need to omit the GS350 and just give everyone the GS F at the same price as the GS350.

The following 2 users liked this post by UBMGS:
Carmaker1 (03-27-20), coolsaber (03-25-20)
Old 03-26-20, 12:13 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

NO, just NO! This is bull**** information as usual taken indirectly from me and out of context. I am sick of people mistakenly falling for misleading rumors from entities who are not even in the position to be commenting on nor have respectable knowledge of such a matter.

All of the information regarding the future of the GS coming from Motor1 is the sole credible source until further notice.

Nothing else and I mean nothing else about that has proven to be independently credible nor correct on the side of what they even tried to mention.

This supposed rumor came out of what I reported privately regarding 2021 Mirai becoming what it did from the aborted 2020 GS. There is no new GS coming soon.

One stupid Instawhoring car page All Car News on Instagram took things out of context and have created another stupid rumor mill, thanks to lazy glorified bloggers at so many automotive websites.

I am livid, as the information is somewhat familiar and even on my end somewhat incorrect, yet even worsened by their rewording, in reduced credibility. Some of those Motor1 timeline projections are a little bit conservative.

fillerf (03-27-20)
Old 03-27-20, 12:00 AM
Ghicks99
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just dont see this as credible because the mirai isnt a new platform and the past model shares nothing with what a GS is. Plus, the GS is based off the toyota crown in japan. Not sure why they would change the platform altogether.Plus mirai are hydrogen cell vehicles. I saw one when i was in japan last year. Us hasnt adopted hydrogen and you would be hard pressed to even sell one here. Ive never seen a hydrogen station. Im gonna go on a limb and say this is going to only be in japan like past mirai models
Old 03-27-20, 05:10 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghicks99
I just dont see this as credible because the mirai isnt a new platform and the past model shares nothing with what a GS is. Plus, the GS is based off the toyota crown in japan. Not sure why they would change the platform altogether.Plus mirai are hydrogen cell vehicles. I saw one when i was in japan last year. Us hasnt adopted hydrogen and you would be hard pressed to even sell one here. Ive never seen a hydrogen station. Im gonna go on a limb and say this is going to only be in japan like past mirai models
The Mirai he’s referring to and what your referring to are two different vehicles and they share nothing in common other then their name. I’m in the auto industry and my client kinda happens to be the largest car company out of Japan. I say this to say I remember when the 1st generation Mirai launched it was a big deal, and it too used a hand me down Lexus platform. It’s used a modified version of the same architecture found on the Lexus HS250h. It also shared the HS’s hybrid synergy drive system which was already outdated by the time the Mirai made it to market in 2015-2016. I was blown away when I saw Toyota was planning to launch a new RWD Mirai with a stretched wheelbase and RWD. I can definitely tell you this new Mirai is built from Toyota’s newest RWD architecture which Lexus internally uses the term GA-L to label it. Toyota does sell the Mirai in CA and HI and has made a serious effort to launch it in 6 additional states in the Northeast. They got caught up in a lot of regulatory problems with bridges and tunnels not allowing vehicles with large amounts of compressed gas to pass through. Much like Tesla, Toyota is very dedicated & passionate about their electric vehicle technology. I remember when people we’re laughing at Toyota for launching the Prius 20 years ago, I also remember a lot of skepticism when Tesla launched the Model S.

The Mirai 2 dimensions do fall right into what I was expecting the 5GS to be if we were to ever see one. I wasn’t convinced, but now it makes sense that Toyota would hypothetically launch a Lexus branded version of the Mirai and charge a slight premium over the Mirai 2 for a few extra features and some Lexus styling. So it would be a badge engineered FVC based on still-born Lexus GS architecture. Doesn’t sound like Lexus has made the decision to carry on the GS name or scrap it and introduce us to a new Lexus model.

Toyota rarely makes mistakes, the company is ultra conservative and always thinks things through. Toyota has already announced they are going to start production of a FCV semi truck within the next few months. The infrastructure is pretty much already established in America for Hydrogen refueling stations. We have millions of miles and natural gas lines running underground and there are petro fuel pumps on every street corner. All oil companies already use most of the commercially available hydrogen for the refining of gasoline so instead of using a clean fuel to make a dirty fuel, why not just redistribute a clean fuel to fueling stations. There is a market of vehicles being launched in the next few years that would support the oil companies selling hydrogen on a larger scale. Daimler, BMW, Toyota, Hyundai, Honda and GM are all involved in FCV development. 3 mins to refuel and 400 miles of driving range sounds a lot more appealing to most Americans then sitting at a Sheetz or Waffle House parking lot for 35 mins waiting for a battery to charge. Especially if they were able to purchase the fuel at a conventional gas station.

natnut (04-04-20)
Old 03-27-20, 01:48 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I have respected what highrev says in the past for his honesty and ability to be informative when feasible.

Has provided me good perspective to what I was feeling. All Car News is doing its own speculating and using me as a source of credibility. I don't want any words being put in my mouth.

Yes it's very possible Lexus could release in the future a vehicle similar to the Mirai. Have I heard about such a thing? No. Nor I say that myself. However, the only credible info I have on that front is, GS 300B program was already underway in 2014, hit a rockwall in late 2016. News hit Japanese media in December 2016, I saw it on while on vacation in Africa, I immediately told Kevin Watts, owner of Lexus Enthusiast.

Over the course of 9 weeks, we debated how credible this info was and how to approach it. No one outside of Japan had an inkling. In March 2017, he successfully bought a copy of the subscription only report and got it translated to English.

The first reports of GS cancellation appeared there in March 2017 and then every other media site globally caught on to it like wildfire. Parallel to that some people had to have been watching who do work for Toyota and friends there in different capacities said at the time, it would still be redesigned per their knowledge under the 300B program in May 2019 for JDM, then USA summer 2019.

I started the process of damage control and refuting the Japanese tidbits on cancellation much of 2017. Eventually someone broke it to me down the line sometime in 2018 that it was not happening at all.

Then several months ago I got the ultimately big shocker that the newest Mirai was essentially that vehicle. The design language pretty much highlights this when you look at the earliest rendering in 2016 from a very credible source, who got the 2018 Camry and LS nearly dead on well ahead of reveal.

Someone at BMW with Toyota connections/insight remarked that Lexus might give a preview into their future design language for sports sedans at Tokyo 2017. All one saw later on was LS+, randomly a redesign of the XF50 fore of A pillar and aft of C pillar. A car not yet in production, so too early to even tease a facelift.

After seeing the LS+ concept, something told me that it looks way too similar to a rendering I had seen a year-and-a-half earlier for the GS program, I thought was still underway for 2020.

Studying UX, ES and IS coming up, they don't look like this vehicle. This was intended to be the next generation Lexus design language in 2016 for model year 2020 and above. Look at LF-1 too. The sweeping L-shaped headlight clusters similar to LC Coupe.

As you can see Toyota as a company can do whatever they want in the future, but as it stands I would not rely on this rumor because they claim as their source to be very Insider that wrote to Motor1. Well I obviously know who that person is and that wasn't ever said.

They've made their own nonsensical extrapolation and use someone else to give it credibility, instead of owning it as their own sole theory. Nothing like that was ever said at the Lexus dealer meeting in 2019.👌

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-27-20 at 02:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carmaker1:
coolsaber (03-27-20), eddie420 (03-27-20), highrev6 (03-27-20)
Old 03-28-20, 09:02 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

I really hope they do kill the GS. Car is no longer needed outside of less than 1% of current GS owners and hardcore fans. There is ZERO reason this car is needed in today's market and upcoming climate. Lexus won't even give the new IS proper in house Japanese built engine but rather use BMW's engine ala the Supra if the rumors are true. GS is deader than a door **** and even if you take that video and leaks for what it's worth, there is no way I see Lexus making another purpose built sedan for a car that can't even keep up with Genesis, Kia and Hyundais of the world let alone the Germans.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 03-28-20 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-28-20, 09:24 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
I really hope they do kill the GS. Car is no longer needed outside of less than 1% of current GS owners and hardcore fans. There is ZERO reason this car is needed in today's market and upcoming climate. Lexus won't even give the new IS proper in house Japanese built engine but rather use BMW's engine ala the Supra if the rumors are true. GS is deader than a door **** and even if you take that video and leaks for what it's worth, there is no way I see Lexus making another purpose built sedan for a car that can't even keep up with Genesis, Kia and Hyundais of the world let alone the Germans.

Please share with us, where are you getting info that Lexus will be using BMW powertrains in future Lexus products? I understand the Supra collaboration, the low volume Supra is very much a Z4 in a Japanese track suit.

Are you eluding to Lexus using a 3.0l B58 motor with a TNGA/GA-L platform or are you saying the next generation IS Lexus will be a BMW 3 series with Lexus body panels?
just looking for clarity on your last post here. Thanks
Old 03-28-20, 09:32 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
I think its important to state the current GS cannot keep up, IF they produced a 5th Gen, I'm sure it would be more relevant. The current gen is ancient, I have had 4 GSs total and on my 3rd 4th gen.
Old 03-28-20, 09:34 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

And no one knows what Lexus may or may not have in the works. I'd like to see these posts brought up again if they introduced a killer 5 GS. I just don't understand why someone would want to see the GS end. Look at the Corvette guys, they're tickled pink with the new C8.
Old 03-28-20, 10:34 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by charley95
And no one knows what Lexus may or may not have in the works. I'd like to see these posts brought up again if they introduced a killer 5 GS. I just don't understand why someone would want to see the GS end. Look at the Corvette guys, they're tickled pink with the new C8.
True, General Motors pours a ton of dollars into development of the Vette. The C8 is great car for the money. I’m still a not a fan, but I could see why C8 fans are in love with it. Toyota is a interesting company, they also have a completely different executive setup then GM. You should definitely read Bob Lutz book (Car Guys vs. Bean Counters) Toyota have had some passion projects like the LFA and 2000GT and LC500, but they don’t spread that kind of love to the entire lineup. The midsize luxury sedan segment is tough. Every since the 3rd generation GS Lexus has been more reactive then proactive with their sports sedan development. Lexus was really big on pushing F and F sport as high performance monicker. But now it’s seems it’s just fallen to they wayside. The Germans are going bullish on their high performance subsidiary’s. Even Toyota right now has launched sportier cars then Lexus with the Camry TRD and Avalon TRD, 86 TRD. I’m not sure what’s going on with Lexus. But they should watch their backs, I think Hyundai’s newly birthed Genesis is on to something. (poached the best engineers out of germany).
Old 03-28-20, 11:07 AM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure how much cred this guy has, but he provides an update on Toyota and Lexus on his youtube channel. He starts talking about Lexus @ 5:47 mark - with the new IS having a BMW engine then he talks about a new GS model based off Mirai.

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: GS Not Dead