GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tire pressure warning system

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 07:37 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tire pressure warning system

Today i initialize the tire pressure warning system and when it was done Lf was 35 RF 36 rl 36 and rr 35. Does that mean the tire guy put the wrong tire on the rim or the tpms is

2018 f sport gs

Last edited by Cal916; 03-27-20 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 07:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Tire pressures can change 1 psi or more by just having the sun shining on them for a few minutes. All your tires are within 1 psi of one another...
Old 03-27-20, 08:44 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Yes but i thought when you recalibrate it the front will be 35 and back 36 as the set points
Old 03-28-20, 12:36 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal916
Yes but i thought when you recalibrate it the front will be 35 and back 36 as the set points
That tire pressure is going to vary a few degrees throughout the day when driving, sometime the wheels will read different pressures off by a psi or 2 even if you set them all exactly the same when cold. This is normal.
Also the Lexus system likes to round up, since there are no decimal points on the display.

All this is normal nothing to worry about.
Old 03-28-20, 08:59 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Tire pressures can change 1 psi or more by just having the sun shining on them for a few minutes. All your tires are within 1 psi of one another...
Despite being a tire fanatic to get max tread wear I can't get my 2015 GS-F Sport to read the same PSI side to side. Always off 1 psi cold. I have a above average PSI gauge.
Old 03-28-20, 08:59 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I think you miss understood what the recalibrate button does. It sets a new default value from what is in their respective tires. So those values you listed in the OP will be the new set point.
Old 03-28-20, 10:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Despite being a tire fanatic to get max tread wear I can't get my 2015 GS-F Sport to read the same PSI side to side. Always off 1 psi cold. I have a above average PSI gauge.
I like having my tires set the same side to side also. The way I do it is first to fill all four tires a couple psi over what I want them to be when cold. After the car sets in a dark garage overnight I tweak all four tires down to within ½ psi of where I ultimately want them when cold using a digital tire pressure gauge calibrated to 1% with 0.1 psi display resolution. Then I'll use (drive) the car for a day, keeping an eye on the car's tire pressure display to see how all four tires react to increasing the psi due to driving and the sun's radiant heat. Chances are all four tires will react as expected to driving and the sun's affects. If they do, I'll leave all four tires as-is at ½ psi above where I first wanted the air pressure set. If any one or two tires look like they are not equal to the other side's tire I'll go check all four tires again after the car has been garaged for ~12 hours in the dark garage. The two things that I've found which need to happen prior to tweaking the tire air pressure is: (1) the car needs to not be driven for a minimum of 10 hours, and (2) the car must be in a dark garage...meaning no sunlight radiation to artificially affect the tire pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Byprodrive (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20, 10:19 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I like having my tires set the same side to side also. The way I do it is first to fill all four tires a couple psi over what I want them to be when cold. After the car sets in a dark garage overnight I tweak all four tires down to within ½ psi of where I ultimately want them when cold using a digital tire pressure gauge calibrated to 1% with 0.1 psi display resolution. Then I'll use (drive) the car for a day, keeping an eye on the car's tire pressure display to see how all four tires react to increasing the psi due to driving and the sun's radiant heat. Chances are all four tires will react as expected to driving and the sun's affects. If they do, I'll leave all four tires as-is at ½ psi above where I first wanted the air pressure set. If any one or two tires look like they are not equal to the other side's tire I'll go check all four tires again after the car has been garaged for ~12 hours in the dark garage. The two things that I've found which need to happen prior to tweaking the tire air pressure is: (1) the car needs to not be driven for a minimum of 10 hours, and (2) the car must be in a dark garage...meaning no sunlight radiation to artificially affect the tire pressure.
This is unnecessary OCD. 1-2 psi isn't going to make a real world difference.
Old 03-29-20, 12:35 AM
Cal916
Pit Crew

What i should of ask is when you you reset the tpms does it have a set point like 35 in the front and 36 in the back or is it at what ever i have the psi when i push reset
Old 03-29-20, 04:21 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

What i should of ask is when you you reset the tpms does it have a set point like 35 in the front and 36 in the back or is it at what ever i have the psi when i push reset
Resetting tpms does not change the tire pressure for that you have to physically add or remove air.

The reset button is to turn off the low tire pressure warning light after putting enough air back into the tire.

Old 03-29-20, 06:19 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

I actually would have been really impressed if the GS self regulated the tire pressure so that it was equal across all four tires. Betcha Tesla’s do that. Just kidding, I was shaking my head reading this thread at first until Peasodos cleared everything up. The reset button does nothing more than turn off a light. No magic tire equalization/regulation system here. If such a thing did exist, Peasodos would have already had it on.
Old 03-29-20, 06:37 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
I actually would have been really impressed if the GS self regulated the tire pressure so that it was equal across all four tires. Betcha Tesla’s do that. Just kidding, I was shaking my head reading this thread at first until Peasodos cleared everything up. The reset button does nothing more than turn off a light. No magic tire equalization/regulation system here. If such a thing did exist, Peasodos would have already had it on.
Hummer H1 can inflate and deflate tires from the driver seat.

Old 03-29-20, 08:32 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by peasodos

The reset button is to turn off the low tire pressure warning light after putting enough air back into the tire.
That is incorrect. It sets the new default value from the current reading.
I hope we are talking about the same thing.

Old 03-29-20, 01:02 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

Seriously. I stand corrected. Don't know why I would want different tire inflation levels in my four tires, I would tend to want them all the same pressure, but good to know.
Old 03-29-20, 01:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
This is unnecessary OCD. 1-2 psi isn't going to make a real world difference.
Yes, it is unnecessary OCD. But, no different from you ordering a professional lens cleaning kit that comes with cleaning solution, a little dust blower, soft bristle brush and a better cloth to clean the inside lens of your dash clock...
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (04-01-20)

Quick Reply: Tire pressure warning system