GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car sitting during quarantine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-20, 04:35 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Car sitting during quarantine

I will be working from home for at least the next 30 days, and I havent driven my car in about 3-weeks. There's no real need for me to drive the GS, and whenever i need to drive to the grocery store I use my truck because it's easier to get to in the garage. In any case, a few years ago i went on vacation for about 2-weeks and when i returned home I had to use jumper cables to start my car. Do I need to start my car every week or so, or can I just let it sit for the next month?
Old 03-31-20, 04:43 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkley45
I will be working from home for at least the next 30 days, and I havent driven my car in about 3-weeks. There's no real need for me to drive the GS, and whenever i need to drive to the grocery store I use my truck because it's easier to get to in the garage. In any case, a few years ago i went on vacation for about 2-weeks and when i returned home I had to use jumper cables to start my car. Do I need to start my car every week or so, or can I just let it sit for the next month?
Just put it on a trickle charger until you're ready to use it. I use the Ctek MXS5.0, can be had for pretty cheap and does a very good job, i was even able to bring a frozen battery back from the dead with it.
The following users liked this post:
Measured (04-01-20)
Old 03-31-20, 05:59 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I've had my 450h sit for almost a month and no issues. Just take it out for a joy ride once every 2 weeks and you'll have nothing to worry about. If your battery is dying after 2 weeks something is draining it with the car off or it's a weak battery.
Old 03-31-20, 06:25 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the replies all. Ill ssee what happens after 2-weeks. The time i mentioned about the car needing to be jumped, i think the battery was on its way out, and i have since replaced it with a new one (last year), so i think ill be ok. I just wanted to make sure that leaving a car sitting for a few weeks wouldnt be a bad thing.
Old 03-31-20, 06:38 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Definitely get a trickle charger. I rarely drive mine even before this whole mess. It's always on charger, never have any issues with the battery. I even charge my other cars now that we never driven anywhere.
Old 04-01-20, 06:00 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

If mine sits for more than a few days I always hook my Battery Tender up.
Old 04-01-20, 07:25 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

I fired mine up and let it run a while over the weekend when I washed it.

It will likely stay clean longer than it ever has before.
Old 04-01-20, 09:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Just drive around the neighborhood for 15-20 minutes once or twice a week. Drive it when it's time to buy groceries.
Old 04-01-20, 10:05 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Not something I worry about with my GS (even during quarantine), but it’s been a concern for years with my 1993 Seville which is a weekend car (albeit a very different beast and set of issues from a GS.) Some things to be concerned with when cars sit for extended periods (esp. in cold temps, which many of us are still in):

- Dead battery
- Bald spots on tires
- Engine starved for oil for longer periods upon startup due to oil pooling at the bottom
- Fuel separation
- Rust on rotor surfaces that turns to pitting, amongst other rust issues
- Dry rot and separation of rubber components/tubes/gaskets

My Seville stays exclusively garaged so many of these concerns are mitigated or eliminated, but if your car is sitting outside particularly in cold temps I personally wouldn’t let it sit for more than a week especially if it’s rained.
Old 04-01-20, 12:25 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Top up gas and put it on a ctek once every 2 weeks. Move it slightly to prevent flat spots.
Old 04-03-20, 06:51 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 230 Posts

Been driving my 11 mile daily commute.
Gas has never been cheaper for the GS lol.

But remember after a two week vacation came home and car did not start.
Bought new battery after jump starting.
Battery was 5-6 years old.
jonathancl (04-03-20)
Old 04-06-20, 02:05 PM
davian112
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 25 Posts

Just curious. Last week was my last day of work because of the shelter in place order. I don't know how long this will last but I won't be able to go back to work for another two month. I'll be driving to the grocery stores for essential needs but that's the only driving I'll be doing for the next two month. Given I won't be driving everyday, how can I make sure my car stays healthy? Cause cars are meant to be driven, I don't want my car to just sit and only driven a couple of blocks to the grocery store. Plus I'm not suppose to drive anywhere during the shelter in place order. Any advice?

Stay safe everyone!
Old 04-06-20, 02:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by davian112
Just curious. Last week was my last day of work because of the shelter in place order. I don't know how long this will last but I won't be able to go back to work for another two month. I'll be driving to the grocery stores for essential needs but that's the only driving I'll be doing for the next two month. Given I won't be driving everyday, how can I make sure my car stays healthy? Cause cars are meant to be driven, I don't want my car to just sit and only driven a couple of blocks to the grocery store. Plus I'm not suppose to drive anywhere during the shelter in place order. Any advice?

Stay safe everyone!
Take a drive once a week or so and drive around for 15-20 minutes, maybe 5-6 miles around your neighborhood. That will keep the battery fully charged and fluids circulated even though the engine, transmission and fluids will not reach their normal operating temperature in such a short driving time. Every time you crank the engine the battery is loaded down briefly with an heavy inductive load - that is why you should drive around a little and let the battery fully charge back up.
davian112 (04-06-20)
Old 04-06-20, 03:37 PM
davian112
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Take a drive once a week or so and drive around for 15-20 minutes, maybe 5-6 miles around your neighborhood. That will keep the battery fully charged and fluids circulated even though the engine, transmission and fluids will not reach their normal operating temperature in such a short driving time. Every time you crank the engine the battery is loaded down briefly with an heavy inductive load - that is why you should drive around a little and let the battery fully charge back up.
Thanks bc!
Old 04-06-20, 03:57 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by davian112

Stay safe everyone!
Does California let people drive on the open road like the freeways? I mostly drive mine on the highways even though we have shelter in place orders.

Quick Reply: Car sitting during quarantine