GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus GS Production To End in August 2020

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-20, 03:23 PM
pbateson
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is sad on the Lexus to stop making GS. Not many people get GS because of covid. I learned GS when my father used to own GS400 in Hong Kong on 16 years ago. GS is the best car more than ES. BMW 5 series and M-Benz E Classes are still making. I am not of fan of ES and Telsa.

2017 or 2018 GS 350 AWD F-Sport still on my wishlist.
The following users liked this post:
natnut (04-27-20)
Old 04-26-20, 04:15 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbateson
It is sad on the Lexus to stop making GS. Not many people get GS because of covid.

This has nothing to do with Covid19 and was deader than a doorknob many years ago. The platform was simply outdated, technology is more or less obsolete, engine is like 50 years old, infotainment is the worst in the industry, virtually zero marketing or advertising by Lexus, outside of a few enthusiasts the car was meh at best especially when you started comparing it to its rivals and their offerings. The GS doesn't compete or is better at anything to any of it's competitors outside of reliability and dependability. So why do I own the GS? Because it was relatively cheap as a used vehicle, I needed something more reliable and drama free in my life and wanted to try the Lexus brand as a first time buyer. GS has good qualities but is far from a superior car.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 04-26-20 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 04:33 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by pbateson
It is sad on the Lexus to stop making GS. Not many people get GS because of covid. I learned GS when my father used to own GS400 in Hong Kong on 16 years ago. GS is the best car more than ES. BMW 5 series and M-Benz E Classes are still making. I am not of fan of ES and Telsa.

2017 or 2018 GS 350 AWD F-Sport still on my wishlist.
Paul ur new GS is still coming soon? It's 2020 already man.
pbateson (05-10-20)
Old 04-26-20, 05:01 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
2022 Lexus GS.
All jokes aside, it is interesting in hindsight that the GS was originally designed with the full predator maw in mind, even though everyone claimed that it was "tacked on" in the 2016 refresh. If anything, the 2016 refresh made it a complete representation of what it was meant to be from the beginning, for better or worse.

Had Lexus given it the full grille from the beginning, I wonder how that would have affected sales.
Old 04-26-20, 06:23 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
All jokes aside, it is interesting in hindsight that the GS was originally designed with the full predator maw in mind, even though everyone claimed that it was "tacked on" in the 2016 refresh. If anything, the 2016 refresh made it a complete representation of what it was meant to be from the beginning, for better or worse.

Had Lexus given it the full grille from the beginning, I wonder how that would have affected sales.
The 2016 grill was ugly, the concept grill is much better and goes with the body lines. The concept have a more muscular stance with the rear similar to the 3GS. Plus, those wheels looks better than the wheel options with the 4GS. If they made the 4GS that looked like the concept, it will still look very moden today and highly sought after.
natnut (04-27-20)
Old 04-26-20, 09:08 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

The production models never look like the concept, I think the BMW M8 is the same thing right? That got a lot of people disappointed too. The only one that looks 99% like the concept is the LC.
Old 04-26-20, 11:04 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 413 Likes on 251 Posts

Media center, lack of power and handling, options on chassis from shooting brake to wagon, who knows, what do i know, I'm a fan and i wish Lexus had ***** on its offerings. German counter parts still moving product, hell even Cadillac mid size is moving.
Old 04-27-20, 03:42 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
This has nothing to do with Covid19 and was deader than a doorknob many years ago. The platform was simply outdated, technology is more or less obsolete, engine is like 50 years old, infotainment is the worst in the industry, virtually zero marketing or advertising by Lexus, outside of a few enthusiasts the car was meh at best especially when you started comparing it to its rivals and their offerings. The GS doesn't compete or is better at anything to any of it's competitors outside of reliability and dependability. So why do I own the GS? Because it was relatively cheap as a used vehicle, I needed something more reliable and drama free in my life and wanted to try the Lexus brand as a first time buyer. GS has good qualities but is far from a superior car.
The 4GS has a world class chassis and suspension. It's handling and controllability at the limit still exceeds or is very close to its comparable (and brand new platform)German counterparts.

It's the dated powertrains/transmissions (specifically low off the line torque) and non-intuitive infotainment that let it down.

Lexus spent all that money and research on chassis development on the 4GS chassis and wasted it by pairing it to a powertrain and infotainment that couldn't keep up with the class leading body structure.

Last edited by natnut; 04-27-20 at 03:46 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by natnut:
Bavaria (04-27-20), Carmaker1 (04-27-20), signdetres (04-27-20)
Old 04-27-20, 04:51 AM
mrminsky
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Simple tweaks to the GS350 could have worked wonders for this car starting with the 2017 model year. The whole info system.mouse could have been easily redone. A slight improvement in HP output could have been done. There would have been a market for the many getting out of their GS leases. The legendary Lexus reputation and reliability can only go so far. This is why the car is a great purchase when it comes to preowned. Every smart buyer knows that a 3-year-old GS350 with low mileage can be had in the mid to high 20's and in some cases as CPO. The car will age well and will last for many many years with very little drama. The lack of exciting products from Lexus will most likely affect my future purchases as well.
Old 04-27-20, 09:00 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

I bought mine only a few months ago and I love every aspect of it. I respect the conservative ideology of sticking with what works. You can only push an NA V6 so far before it falls out of their idea of reliable. I had the V6 for many years in my wife's ES350 but we switched to the 4 cyl with her NX and now my GS. Its a remarkably refined engine for a 4cyl and to me makes the vehicle seem more high tech.

With the infotainment, I must be the only person who really likes it. Its safe, stable, predictable and does everything I need. If I find that it doesn't, instead of complaining about it, I will find a way make it better with the many aftermarket offerings and share my experience to help the community. With a total of 8 Lexus vehicles in my extended family, none have reported issues, which is what drew me to the brand for my personal commute vehicle after having a baby girl. I'll admit I will only buy used vehicles as a cash buyer, but the vehicles do represent a remarkable value. After driving a 575hp muscle car for many years, I don't need excitement any more in my drive so the current GS really spoke to what I was looking for. All of the F Sport models are a bit much for me (when comparing aggressive looks compared to whats under the hood) as I appreciate Lexus for the luxury and reliability (which to me is an aspect of luxury). I'll enjoy the years with the GS and see what else the brand has to offer.

Last edited by BMGS; 04-27-20 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 09:10 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
The 4GS has a world class chassis and suspension. It's handling and controllability at the limit still exceeds or is very close to its comparable (and brand new platform)German counterparts.

It's the dated powertrains/transmissions (specifically low off the line torque) and non-intuitive infotainment that let it down.

Lexus spent all that money and research on chassis development on the 4GS chassis and wasted it by pairing it to a powertrain and infotainment that couldn't keep up with the class leading body structure.
Yes, the chassis is excellent, from my experience and nearly every professional review. Some may think it has too much body roll, but that doesn't actually mean it does not "handle" or "take corners" well. A $300 set of thicker sway bars and a day in the garage or at the shop will fix that.

I am not sure what is dated about the 8 speed transmission, as its nearly ubiquitous in the vehicles of its class. Would a 9 or 10 speed make a difference? Probably more in price than anything. Lexus tried the new powertrain, the 4cyl, but no one bought it, at least in the USA to justify it. I'll admit a tune helps a ton, but even in factory form, the low end torque is plentiful. Just a fun fact, comparing a few dyno graphs I found on google, a tuned 200t makes plenty more (20-30ft. lbs) low end and peak torque than the V6 and is actually on par with the 5.0 V8 under 3300 rpm.

Last edited by BMGS; 04-27-20 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 03:39 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

if there's ever a lesson in complacency, this is it.

that's just how this business rolls. You can be ahead in the beginning, but everyone catches up and passes you.

Turtle and the hare.
The following 2 users liked this post by pman6:
emtam (04-28-20), HontoKuro (04-29-20)
Old 04-27-20, 10:44 PM
beachboy23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! No GS and the IS is just as outdated, plus the IS 4 cyl turbo isn’t smooth. Lexus no longer has a worthy sports sedan. What do I buy now? Tesla Model S?

Last edited by beachboy23; 04-27-20 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 10:57 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

You could buy one of the 4000 used gs350s listed for sale I guess
Old 04-27-20, 11:36 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
if there's ever a lesson in complacency, this is it.

that's just how this business rolls. You can be ahead in the beginning, but everyone catches up and passes you.

Turtle and the hare.
This. Toyota were smashing it out in the 90s and 00s with the hybrid tech. Ahead of the game. Now they're reduced to buying crap from BMW because they haven't been innovative in over a decade. Nothing against BMW but Lexus and BMW could not be more diaimperially opposed.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS Production To End in August 2020