GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus GS Production To End in August 2020

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 12:47 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

After over 100 years, we are now nearing the end of the fossil fuel burning combustion era, hence many manufacturers have put a freeze on electric turbos and other fossil fuel burning internal combustion technologies.
Electrification is here to stay.
Hence Carmaker1 echos the rumors of a stop gap model in sharing the next generation Mazda 6 midsize platform with a 48V mild hybrid 3.0 in-line six RWD.

Back in 2011, Mazda did suffer huge losses, and by 2015, TMC did partner with Mazda exchanging Mazda's Skyactiv engines for TMC's hydrogen fuel cell system.
Hence, TMC could go the traditional route and reskin a Japanese Domestic Market Toyota Crown RWD, but in this case, TMC may have chosen the Mazda 6 midsize platform powered by a 48V mild hybrid 3.0 in-line six RWD...
Old 04-28-20, 08:23 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

you serious, Clark?
Old 04-28-20, 10:17 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
you serious, Clark?
That's one of the rumors circulating.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/06/why-a-joint-toyota-mazda-rwd-platform-and-inline-6-engine-makemms-sense/​​​​​​

However, it is more of a 2022 premium rear drive platform & premium longitudinal in-line six for a premium Mazda 9, bringing back to life their premium Mazda 929 Series last axed in 1999 - rather than a bread & butter FWD-baaed Mazda 6 replacement which would continue to compete with Camry & Accord.

48V mild hybrids have a minimal size battery to recover kinetic energy for greater efficiency, as well as provide additional torque via electric motors, while minimizing weight to maximize handling.
Hybrids, PHEV's & BEV's never have as much agility nor grip due to the size & weight of their battery packs.

Thanks to straight inlet tract port design and air pulsation as one valve closes while another valve opens, in-line sixes have naturally more torque than V6's.
In-line sixes are more naturally smoother idling & smoother revving too.

However, in-line sixes do take up more longitudinal cabin length, while the long crankshaft is prone to torsional snapping under Formula 1 racing conditions where the red lines can be 20,000 rpm, but road car red lines of 7,000 rpm have no such issues.

Such a GS badged Mazda will be very cheap for TMC, as it will be assembled along a Mazda production line.
May as well service this GS at a Mazda dealer.

Worse for Lexus - may as well buy the original Mazda 9 version - unless the Lexus GS version has some benefit?
Back in the 1990's, the RWD-based Mazda 929 was more 3 Series priced, while the 1990's Lexus GS were more 5 Series priced.

At the end of the day, Mazda platform & driveline sharing is a cost saving stop gap bridging e-TNGA full electrification.
Rather than invest heavily into one more fossil fuel burning internal combustion ICEV GS, TMC has probably chosen to focus on electrification - because that's where the future lies.

I have owned several RWD-based Mazda 929's back in the 80's & 90's, and they are great cars.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-28-20 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-29-20, 09:04 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
if there's ever a lesson in complacency, this is it.

that's just how this business rolls. You can be ahead in the beginning, but everyone catches up and passes you.

Turtle and the hare.
Exactly on point. Lexus had a major opportunity in their mid year life cycle refresh on their 2016+ models but instead put lipstick on a pig and called it a game changer. In fact they removed the best part of the GS and made it worse by changing or modifying the handling, suspension and overall driving dynamics. Although Lexus never officially declared or noted the changes it clearly changed something to the amazing, fun driving dynamics and overall experience that the 2012-2015 models had. (It's been well documented and discussed in these forums including myself) The 2016+ refresh should have been the year to revamp and breath some new life into the GS but instead just gave us same crappy outdated Infotainment system, some minor cosmetic changes, more or less same outdated engine with no new increased HP or Turbocharger etc. but instead slapped on an ugly predator grill, new clock, rear view mirror, outdated safety standard features and OPTIONAL triple beams and riced out rear lights from the late 90's and somehow this was suppose to bring in new customers?

Lexus is clearly been stale and not only behind the times but clearly shows competitors are eating their breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lexus will become the next Acura brand. Started off hot but now a former shell of themselves. As a first time owner and introduction of Lexus brand via the GS I own, news like this and stale innovation movement won't have me coming back to the brand unless a major "wow or holy cow" vehicle comes into life but this will probably be my first and last Lexus vehicle as other car manufactures offer something that is simply more appealing, better tech suited, better priced, better value, more powerful and in some cases have surpassed Lexus in fit and finish with more or less same reliability nowadays. Sad.
The following 2 users liked this post by HontoKuro:
Im2bz2p345 (04-29-20), Sevn86 (05-01-20)
Old 04-29-20, 09:14 AM
dtk3493
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy at Lexus mentioned that an AWD version of the ES350 F Sport will be available this year. Good to have that option, but VERY disappointed that the GS will be discontinued. Such an underrated car that is truly an equal competitor to the E350 and BMW 540i.
Old 04-29-20, 09:19 AM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Unfortunately makes sense...

I have owned the 2GS and 3GS personally. Along with 1GS they were good looking, well performing vehicles. The 4GS may perform well but it’s looks are such a departure from previous years. With previous years it was easy to tell a GS was approaching from the front or rear, now you can not tell if it’s a GS or ES or maybe even another branded car. Good riddens!
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (04-29-20)
Old 04-29-20, 09:53 AM
KTGS300
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by phillymac
I have owned the 2GS and 3GS personally. Along with 1GS they were good looking, well performing vehicles. The 4GS may perform well but it’s looks are such a departure from previous years. With previous years it was easy to tell a GS was approaching from the front or rear, now you can not tell if it’s a GS or ES or maybe even another branded car. Good riddens!
It's so true about the 2GS. I have moved on to Subaru but I kept my 2GS that I bought over 15yrs ago.
Old 04-29-20, 10:03 AM
phillymac
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I wish..

Originally Posted by KTGS300
It's so true about the 2GS. I have moved on to Subaru but I kept my 2GS that I bought over 15yrs ago.
I wish I would’ve kept my 2GS! I sold it for a song just a few years ago actually. Good for you!!! It’s certainly a classic.
Old 04-29-20, 10:06 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
C'mon guys, they're not going to replace it. The sooner you let that sink in, the better off you will be.
Even automagazines are now promoting alternatives.
Upon a quick review of these 25 cars, it is a competitive market. Almost too many in this niche segment. The notable omission is the white elephant in the room (Tesla Model 3 & S)
https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports...s-gs/?slide=25
Old 04-29-20, 10:45 AM
mrminsky
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

A 2018 Audi (3 year old car already) has more safety features and tech than a current GS. I have to say that my 15 White F Sports looks pretty good even as a 5-year-old. It has aged well and it looks pretty current vs anything out there. The issue with Lexus is that a of now they do not offer anything that would entice me to come back. Acura is ready to launch what looks to be an amazing looking TLX. Not even sure what the future IS would even look like.
Old 04-29-20, 10:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

The only "tech" that I wish my GS had was a surround view camera. Not a deal breaker, but I have it on the Highlander and it's pretty nice to have. I wouldn't mind more power, but that would probably be true no matter what. I'm very happy with the car overall.

But when my next vehicle comes around there won't be anything in the Lexus lineup that interests me. The LS is too big, the IS too small, and the ES too...FWD.
signdetres (04-29-20)
Old 04-29-20, 10:58 AM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Spoiler

I’m glad the GS is ending. I never planned on selling my GSF and certainly won’t now. However, I HATE that Lexus is cheapening the exclusive aspects of the GSF (carbon fiber, alcantara, and orange calipers) and putting it on a GS350? Come on man!
dbs821 (05-09-20)
Old 04-29-20, 11:12 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Even automagazines are now promoting alternatives.
Upon a quick review of these 25 cars, it is a competitive market. Almost too many in this niche segment. The notable omission is the white elephant in the room (Tesla Model 3 & S)
https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports...s-gs/?slide=25
From that entire list of cars, there are some they are including that wouldn't be comparable to a GS in my opinion (e.g. an S-Class Benz or a 3 Series BMW). The only ones I see fit from that list for comparison are the following:

Genesis G80
BMW 5 series
Jaguar XF
Maserati Ghibli
MB E Class
Porsche Panamera

A prior thread on this topic of the GS going away and cars folks would consider: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ter-4gs-4.html
All4Lexus (04-29-20)
Old 04-29-20, 11:35 AM
Sig1855
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a little over a year left on my lease, and thanks to a change in career and currently staying home, I will be WAY under my mileage! Guess I'm buying this one out and driving it another few years.
Old 04-29-20, 11:46 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
Spoiler

I’m glad the GS is ending. I never planned on selling my GSF and certainly won’t now. However, I HATE that Lexus is cheapening the exclusive aspects of the GSF (carbon fiber, alcantara, and orange calipers) and putting it on a GS350? Come on man!
i think putting these things on a normal GS cheapens it. I expect real leather and real wood in a luxury car not synthetic and plastic.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS Production To End in August 2020