Lexus GS map SD Cards

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-20, 02:57 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Lexus GS map SD Cards

Hi,

I replaced my old '16 Navi map SD with a new version and it's working well. I'm wondering if the Lexus vehicle writes anything to the SD card?

Last edited by websurfer; 05-02-20 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (07-08-20)
Old 05-02-20, 04:58 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Hi,

I replaced my old '16 Navi map SD with a new version and it's working well. I'm wondering if the Lexus vehicle writes anything to the SD card?
not sure anyone is able to unregister a car to the specific sd card.
Old 05-02-20, 07:19 PM
websurfer
Racer

So you are saying it write data to the SD card?
Old 07-08-20, 05:39 AM
MOB561
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

did the map interface update ? was there any difference. I'm interested in updating my 2018 GS 350.
Old 07-08-20, 06:35 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Not a Lexus specific experience but my wife got a '20 Mazda3 and it didn't have the Nav SD installed. Dealer told her it would be $389 plus labor and tax to put it in.

I bought one from Amazon for $95. Inserted it and it worked peachy. The only warning is the SD card writes to the VIN of the car after the first 50 miles of driving. My guess is so you can't just transfer it from compatible car to compatible car. Example would be if I had a current Mazda CX-30, 5 or 9 the same SD card is applicable so we could, in theory, negate the need for 2 and only use one like a Garmin or something. I am not sure if Toyota/Lexus does the same thing but I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 07-08-20, 08:34 AM
websurfer
Racer

PT219-GEN08-19 is the 2016 and newer radio.

I updated both the GS and ES.

NickMayer (07-09-20)
Old 07-09-20, 09:08 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm getting the fuel pump recall done, and I had some GPS error message in Enform so having that looked at as well... ANyway, IU asked about the map update and they said 358 plus tax, lol. I told them all it is, is a SD card that needs plugged in. He seemed confused, then told me $209. I told him it was highway robbery to charge 150 to plug in a SD card, lol
Old 07-09-20, 09:45 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by NickMayer
I'm getting the fuel pump recall done, and I had some GPS error message in Enform so having that looked at as well... ANyway, IU asked about the map update and they said 358 plus tax, lol. I told them all it is, is a SD card that needs plugged in. He seemed confused, then told me $209. I told him it was highway robbery to charge 150 to plug in a SD card, lol
IMO, It's a simple DIY for the GPS update. Simple as that. I wouldn't pay anything other than the GPS maps (they made $$ on that already when is fair). It's a profit center so every minute they wait for the maps update on the screen. Be empowered. Lexus/Toyota can also sell a lot more GPS maps if people knows how to update.
them.

Changing engine and pollen filters, I do that myself also. It's simple.
Old 07-09-20, 11:46 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by websurfer
IMO, It's a simple DIY for the GPS update. Simple as that. I wouldn't pay anything other than the GPS maps (they made $$ on that already when is fair). It's a profit center so every minute they wait for the maps update on the screen. Be empowered. Lexus/Toyota can also sell a lot more GPS maps if people knows how to update.
them.

Changing engine and pollen filters, I do that myself also. It's simple.
Yea, I jumped on the engine and cabin filter myself, cabin filter was disgusting, lol. Saved couple hundred bucks though.

Kills me what they get away with, lol.
Old 07-09-20, 02:05 PM
jwolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of things to remember. when you install the new SD card there are some steps that you have to follow and follow them carefully. I have seen people Brick the Lexus Nav and or the SD card by not completing the process or having the power die during install. while it is in this process the SD card gets coded to that specific Radio/Nav system, meaning that it will only work on that unit and that unit alone once installed. I agree that it should be a simple install and have done it myself before, But what you get when having a dealer install the update is peace of mind, that if something does go wrong the dealer is responsible for it. So if the system bricks its on them to replace not you. spend a hundred here or potentially be stuck with a couple thousand later. like i said i have done it myself a few times but take the install process serious or it could cost you more than a install fee..
Old 07-10-20, 07:26 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by jwolf
A couple of things to remember. when you install the new SD card there are some steps that you have to follow and follow them carefully. I have seen people Brick the Lexus Nav and or the SD card by not completing the process or having the power die during install. while it is in this process the SD card gets coded to that specific Radio/Nav system, meaning that it will only work on that unit and that unit alone once installed. I agree that it should be a simple install and have done it myself before, But what you get when having a dealer install the update is peace of mind, that if something does go wrong the dealer is responsible for it. So if the system bricks its on them to replace not you. spend a hundred here or potentially be stuck with a couple thousand later. like i said i have done it myself a few times but take the install process serious or it could cost you more than a install fee..
Well yea, obviously follow the instructions. ANd I guess for some, paying $160+ to have someone plug in the card and follow the prompts gives piece of mind, but for real, highway robbery that price... IMO of course.
Old 07-10-20, 11:02 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I say don’t waste your money updating stock nav. Google maps and Waze in Apple CarPlay is 100x better than stock nav. I have wireless CarPlay that connects to my phone automatically when I turn the car on.

NickMayer (07-10-20)
Old 07-10-20, 01:51 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by peasodos
I say don’t waste your money updating stock nav. Google maps and Waze in Apple CarPlay is 100x better than stock nav. I have wireless CarPlay that connects to my phone automatically when I turn the car on.

I'd kill to get android auto in here. Link to your thread on installing this? This the grom v.2 thingy?
Old 07-10-20, 08:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
I'd kill to get android auto in here. Link to your thread on installing this? This the grom v.2 thingy?
Carlinkit, I’m like the pioneer for the product/thread on this forum, it only works with 2016+ head unit and not everyone has got it to work due to bad tech support and lack of good instructions. But for those of us who have gotten it to work it works great. Seems to be the only wireless CarPlay solution. Also only for CarPlay, android auto doesn’t work so well.
Old 07-10-20, 08:21 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

GROM VL2 has wireless carplay, and LSAILT, Beatsonic, and this dealer of LSAILT http://www.carnavigationbox.com/

There are a handful , it all depends on what level of support you want .

Quick Reply: Lexus GS map SD Cards