GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wrapping Roof - Drip rails too?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-20, 09:18 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts
Question Wrapping Roof - Drip rails too?

For those of you with wrapped roofs, I'm having trouble getting a straight answer (seeing lots of variations online & videos).

- Do you cover your drip rails along with your roof? (single wrap)
or
- Do you remove the rails and reinstall as original color? (wrap roof only) - Not my first choice
or
- Do you remove to wrap the roof, wrap the rails separately, and reinstall? (all wrapped - 3 pieces)

I'm wrapping this weekend and I want a little guidance.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-20, 01:26 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpGent
For those of you with wrapped roofs, I'm having trouble getting a straight answer (seeing lots of variations online & videos).

- Do you cover your drip rails along with your roof? (single wrap)
or
- Do you remove the rails and reinstall as original color? (wrap roof only) - Not my first choice
or
- Do you remove to wrap the roof, wrap the rails separately, and reinstall? (all wrapped - 3 pieces)

I'm wrapping this weekend and I want a little guidance.

Thanks in advance!
I would remove the drip rails so the wrap sits cleanly under it. Then put the drip rail back on, wrap it, take it off to tuck the wrap around the edges and under it.

The following users liked this post:
SharpGent (05-13-20)
Old 05-13-20, 06:44 AM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Okay, option 3 then. That's what I was thinking. I want the clean edge-to-edge look, but I want to do it right.
Old 05-13-20, 08:00 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 360 Likes on 249 Posts

I did option 2. Thought I would hate it, but I don't mind it with the rain rails being white. Maybe black/white contrast makes it better to my eye than if it were any other color.
Old 05-13-20, 10:03 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

How do u remove the drip rails?
Old 05-13-20, 12:16 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

@ItzFilyO – Looks to just be clips at the front and back. Here's a video of an IS350

Also, this video gave me option #4 – Remove rails, wrap roof, plastidip rails, reinstall. It will give the rails the matte finish like the trim surrounding (left and right) the front windshield. That might just be the ticket for me.
Old 05-13-20, 02:17 PM
tantasticc
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The shop that did mine wrapped the roof then the roof molding.
SharpGent (05-13-20)
Old 05-13-20, 02:17 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I wrapped the roof and roof rails on my 3GS before. One thing to watch out for is the paint peeling off the rails. When I removed the vinyl from the roof rails, it peeled off a bit of the paint underneath. I won't be wrapping the roof on my GSF because of that.
SharpGent (05-13-20)
Old 05-15-20, 11:17 AM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

So I wrapped the roof last night, added the spoiler king spoiler (wrapped to match), but didn't have time to do the rails. They're so easy to remove and reinstall, I'll just wrap them another day.

One thing I haven't done yet is reinstall the shark fin. Holy crap, I'm afraid this will take me all day to line up that bolt. I took it off and replaced the outside fin with Lexus 212 black (instead of wrapping my white one). It's a very easy and affordable ($38 from LexusPartsNow), but it still doesn't make reinstalling any less arduous.

I'll post photos once the shark fin is back on.

Also, the wrap job is good enough for now. I'll have all of it redone in a shop later though. There are minor imperfections in the wrap, and "scrunches" where the wrap tucks into the seam at the back windshield. I can put up with it because it's so hard so see, but I have to stop listening to myself when I order more vinyl and think I'm a pro. I'm not and I should stop doing this.
Old 05-15-20, 11:27 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpGent
So I wrapped the roof last night, added the spoiler king spoiler (wrapped to match), but didn't have time to do the rails. They're so easy to remove and reinstall, I'll just wrap them another day.

One thing I haven't done yet is reinstall the shark fin. Holy crap, I'm afraid this will take me all day to line up that bolt. I took it off and replaced the outside fin with Lexus 212 black (instead of wrapping my white one). It's a very easy and affordable ($38 from LexusPartsNow), but it still doesn't make reinstalling any less arduous.

I'll post photos once the shark fin is back on.

Also, the wrap job is good enough for now. I'll have all of it redone in a shop later though. There are minor imperfections in the wrap, and "scrunches" where the wrap tucks into the seam at the back windshield. I can put up with it because it's so hard so see, but I have to stop listening to myself when I order more vinyl and think I'm a pro. I'm not and I should stop doing this.
You have to re-wrap the roof about 2 more times before you graduate to pro roof wrapping status lol. I wrapped a previous car roof once before, but I plan on practicing with smaller pieces on the front and back edge of the roof to practice tucking under the seal, before I go for the whole thing. With the money they charge for the roof wrap job you can buy enough wrap to do the roof at least 4 times over.
SharpGent (05-15-20)