Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 10:36 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default GS 350 F-Sport Black Line Edition Is a Proper Sendoff

GS 350 F-Sport Black Line Edition Is a Proper Sendoff
By Brett Foote

The Lexus GS is sadly officially dead, but not before it gets one final special edition.

Old 07-13-20, 07:51 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Has anyone seen one in person yet?
Old 07-13-20, 08:09 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm excited about this one, looks pretty good. Minor little details but makes it really nice. I hope to see one in person pretty soon
Old 07-14-20, 02:05 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Basically similar to the 2015 crafted line GS, just the post face lifted version of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
jonathancl (07-15-20), Markw4mms (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 10:31 AM
FH212
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Still dont want to believe they are not going to make the GS anymore..........Ugh
Old 07-14-20, 01:51 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by FH212
Still dont want to believe they are not going to make the GS anymore..........Ugh
Yes....this brings back all the pain and grief from that announcement. I can't believe Lexus will leave this bit of a hole in their lineup. The cars not perfect but it's pretty amazing in so many ways. I don't know what they plan to do - maybe something exciting for the 30th anniversary of the car in 2023? (I know, I know....I need to let it go) LOL.
The following users liked this post:
FH212 (07-16-20)
Old 07-14-20, 03:05 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I got a 2019 ES as a loaner a few weeks ago and was not impressed in comparison to the GS... no offense to the ES owners, it’s still a pretty damn nice car. I really couldn’t stand the 8 speed transmission, it is too jumpy and often resulted in uneven pedal response/acceleration for me, as well as some jerky shifts. And the GS just feels heavier and more firmly planted. Even if they release the AWD ES as it seems they will, I can’t see how it’s a good replacement for the GS. Oh well. The sales numbers are clearly what matter in the end.
Old 07-14-20, 04:00 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I got a 2019 ES as a loaner a few weeks ago and was not impressed in comparison to the GS... no offense to the ES owners, it’s still a pretty damn nice car. I really couldn’t stand the 8 speed transmission, it is too jumpy and often resulted in uneven pedal response/acceleration for me, as well as some jerky shifts. And the GS just feels heavier and more firmly planted. Even if they release the AWD ES as it seems they will, I can’t see how it’s a good replacement for the GS. Oh well. The sales numbers are clearly what matter in the end.
I had the same experience with a 2020 ES loaner. It felt like a nice Camry not a GS equivalent. I guess that's why the GS is $10-15k more.

I think the proper send off would have to somehow give a HP & torque bump but then that would have annoyed all previous owners.

I really wish they had not just let it languish for 5 plus years. I love the platform. All I could ask for is some more powerful engine options, something in the 350-400 HP range and a drastically updated entertainment/nav system and the updated safety features that many other cars including base model Toyotas have. My GS is approaching 90k miles and is in fantastic shape for its age. It still has quite a bit of power so if I could only have one upgrade it would be a better modern entertainment/nav.
The following users liked this post:
USMC84 (02-07-22)
Old 07-14-20, 04:42 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm getting one, I can't see myself in an ES. Also have had it as a loaner and it just felt meh... regular luxury family sedan and I can't do the front wheel drive, drives me nuts. Plus the suspension is waaay too soft or whatever... the GS is an extremely nice Sports Sedan, would have been great if it had a little bit more power but I can live with what it has. I've had a GS for the last 6 years or so (a 15 and an 18) and I really love the GS so I'm getting this last edition and then maybe in a few years when the IS500 becomes available I might consider that one since I lease.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slash300zx:
signdetres (07-15-20), websurfer (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 12:29 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

I test drove both the current body style ES (F Sport version) and the previous body style ES when I was looking for my GS. I don't mind FWD cars and until the GS I never quite understood the fascination of RWD (I'll come back to that).

I've always done one thing when I've looked to purchase a car. After the test drive I get in the back seat behind the driver to see if I can fit. I love to drive, I grew up driving everywhere with family. If friends and I are going someplace I'll always volunteer to drive and I want the folks to be relatively comfortable so they let me drive next time as well. The 2013-2018 ES had nice headroom but the leg room wasn't that much better than the GS. The 2019-Present ES had really nice leg room but the headroom was horrible - I'm hating all these super sloped roofs. I have to sit with my head tilted. An IS - yeah right - that back seat doesn't work for a normal adult at all.

Ultimately, while the GS's leg room isn't amazing - it's not horrible, the head room is decent and both the RWD and AWD are SOOOOO fun (once I figured out the detent on the 8 speed). I totally agree with the GS feeling more planted. It's a car of many personalities - great for a very nice night out on the town, or out on a fun winding country road going a little faster than one should, or to go play in the snow - you name it. Probably the only exception is maybe a crazy dirt road in the forest - that's what Subarus are for. It's amazingly quiet but punch the gas and that growl is pretty nice. The ES is a fine casual driver - well mannered, not harsh, predicable.

Having the GS AWD now for almost 5 months I can really appreciate the difference the extra power to the rear wheels makes. (sure it's not the same as the RWD but it's still nice) I can't imagine how they can take something like an ES and even make an AWD version feel as good as the GS does.

Power is nice but 311 HP is fine for most places I can use it. Personally I'd take a naturally aspirated with a hair more HP than a bunch more HP and some sort of turbo.

As others pointed out - for me the biggest issue was the tech. Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is almost a necessity as is a touch screen. While I LOVE the fact the car doesn't have that stupid blemish lcd screen thing sitting on the dash - I have to believe the designers could come up with something nice. About the only other thing I wish it had was another cubbie or two to hold things in/around the console area.

I keep looking at the new Crown and thinking what an awesome GS could come out of that. I guess it's good I keep my cars a while - it gives them plenty of time to realize the error of their ways and come out with a new mid sized RWD sports sedan

The following 2 users liked this post by LexusGSboy:
JDR76 (07-15-20), signdetres (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 07:48 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
I test drove both the current body style ES (F Sport version) and the previous body style ES when I was looking for my GS. I don't mind FWD cars and until the GS I never quite understood the fascination of RWD (I'll come back to that).

I've always done one thing when I've looked to purchase a car. After the test drive I get in the back seat behind the driver to see if I can fit. I love to drive, I grew up driving everywhere with family. If friends and I are going someplace I'll always volunteer to drive and I want the folks to be relatively comfortable so they let me drive next time as well. The 2013-2018 ES had nice headroom but the leg room wasn't that much better than the GS. The 2019-Present ES had really nice leg room but the headroom was horrible - I'm hating all these super sloped roofs. I have to sit with my head tilted. An IS - yeah right - that back seat doesn't work for a normal adult at all.

Ultimately, while the GS's leg room isn't amazing - it's not horrible, the head room is decent and both the RWD and AWD are SOOOOO fun (once I figured out the detent on the 8 speed). I totally agree with the GS feeling more planted. It's a car of many personalities - great for a very nice night out on the town, or out on a fun winding country road going a little faster than one should, or to go play in the snow - you name it. Probably the only exception is maybe a crazy dirt road in the forest - that's what Subarus are for. It's amazingly quiet but punch the gas and that growl is pretty nice. The ES is a fine casual driver - well mannered, not harsh, predicable.

Having the GS AWD now for almost 5 months I can really appreciate the difference the extra power to the rear wheels makes. (sure it's not the same as the RWD but it's still nice) I can't imagine how they can take something like an ES and even make an AWD version feel as good as the GS does.

Power is nice but 311 HP is fine for most places I can use it. Personally I'd take a naturally aspirated with a hair more HP than a bunch more HP and some sort of turbo.

As others pointed out - for me the biggest issue was the tech. Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is almost a necessity as is a touch screen. While I LOVE the fact the car doesn't have that stupid blemish lcd screen thing sitting on the dash - I have to believe the designers could come up with something nice. About the only other thing I wish it had was another cubbie or two to hold things in/around the console area.

I keep looking at the new Crown and thinking what an awesome GS could come out of that. I guess it's good I keep my cars a while - it gives them plenty of time to realize the error of their ways and come out with a new mid sized RWD sports sedan
Very well said. I've thought the same thing about the new Crown
Old 07-15-20, 09:56 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Very well said. I've thought the same thing about the new Crown
same here - all the tools are there, wake up Lexus!