GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why would you pay 2020 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 12:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
Exactly my sentiments on the GS. While I would love to have CarPlay, its not a dealbreaker. I recognize Lexus/Toyota is behind in terms of infotainment vs. peers, but I've been using the current system with no issue for years. Between Siri Eyes Free and navigation, it covers the basics for my daily use. For me, the other positive attributes of the GS like handling, build and materials quality, and styling weighted more in my decision than updated infotainment.
The CarPlay thing is something I honestly don't really get, but seems to be so important to so many people. I have it on my Tacoma and, with all the hype, I was quite excited to try it out. I did and was like "this is it?" lol...

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
GS is the best car in the world! Long live the GS!!
Amen, buddy. Amen.
The following users liked this post:
Carfan94 (12-10-23)
Old 05-21-20, 02:40 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like those who commented on the thread are kind of on the same platform with me. GS seems to be an attractive option used. I also agree that I need a “new car sucker” out there so I can get a used one for cheap. I have been eyeing a used GSF for a minute and I think it is an attractive old-school V8 option. Currently one of my DDs is a plug-in hybrid, BMW 330e. When I am tired of it, I am thinking of either going full electric to Tesla Model S with dual motor. Or back to old school Japanese muscle car, like GSF/RCF. Maybe even LC500 solely for its design. Not going to lie, Lexus is always reliable hence I always keep one on my driveway. I know the car will be there when I need it.
Old 05-21-20, 04:53 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Tuber Doug Demuro just did a review of the 2020 GSF. I've always liked his reviews while most people can't stand him. I don't take his opinion too seriously but I like how he presents a car. He didn't really have too many positive comments for the GSF. He did claim it would be a great bargain used. If the GSF MSRP'ed in the low 70's I would've bought one. Two top things I like about my GS, you don't see one everyday like an RX and reliability. Bmw, Mecedes,Audi... cannot deliver LTO like my GS can.
Old 05-21-20, 04:57 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Tuber Doug Demuro just did a review of the 2020 GSF. I've always liked his reviews while most people can't stand him. I don't take his opinion too seriously but I like how he presents a car. He didn't really have too many positive comments for the GSF. He did claim it would be a great bargain used. If the GSF MSRP'ed in the low 70's I would've bought one. Two top things I like about my GS, you don't see one everyday like an RX and reliability. Bmw, Mecedes,Audi... cannot deliver LTO like my GS can.
I saw the review as well. I was very surprised to hear that he didn't think the car was fast even though he said it went 0-60 in like 4 1/2 seconds.

Old 05-21-20, 06:25 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
Seems like those who commented on the thread are kind of on the same platform with me. GS seems to be an attractive option used. I also agree that I need a “new car sucker” out there so I can get a used one for cheap. I have been eyeing a used GSF for a minute and I think it is an attractive old-school V8 option. Currently one of my DDs is a plug-in hybrid, BMW 330e. When I am tired of it, I am thinking of either going full electric to Tesla Model S with dual motor. Or back to old school Japanese muscle car, like GSF/RCF. Maybe even LC500 solely for its design. Not going to lie, Lexus is always reliable hence I always keep one on my driveway. I know the car will be there when I need it.
Nice lookin' "Superman" GS F under $50k: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2939/overview/
Old 05-21-20, 06:56 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
I am eternally grateful to everyone who has owned my cars before me, for I could not have enjoyed such valuable miles without them.

Their sacrifice is my pleasure.
Same haha. My GS350 was $110000 new, I bought it for $30000. I hope they enjoyed the 70000kms because it cost them $80000!
As for a buyer looking at a 2020GS, they'd need their head read. Unless money was no object, someone looking at a dealer GS F should be admitted!
Old 05-21-20, 08:17 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

I like how you conveniently removed the RC from your signature.
Old 05-21-20, 08:40 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I’ve been watching the GS since I was a kid and the GS400 came out in 1998. Fact is to 99% of non-hardcore-car people the 2020 GS looks like a fresh hot sharp luxury car. And I agree with that. I think the refresh in 2016 looks fantastic and brings this cars styling well into the 2020’s.

I bought my 2016 because it’s identical to a 2020 but was almost half the price given it’s tenderly driven 30,000miles likely at the hands of a grandma given it’s mint condition. So yea...it’s an 8yr old car but it doesn’t look or feel it. It’s sole fault is lack of raw power compared to competitors. In every other regard aside from perhaps infotainment it bests them - depreciation, build quality, reliability, maintenance costs etc.
Old 05-21-20, 08:55 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Hear, hear!
Old 05-21-20, 08:58 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
I would love a used GSF if I had that kinda money, love the build of the GS and add some more power to that... wow
Old 05-21-20, 09:31 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Nice lookin' "Superman" GS F under $50k: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2939/overview/
I always wondered if the red was really that bright in person. The bright red seats seem really out of place.

I did see one of the new ES with red seats a while ago and actually found it really nice. It was a dark red. Not sure if this is the same red found in the GSF.
vdavid (05-27-20)
Old 05-21-20, 09:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

2012-20 Calendar Year Lexus 4GS Series handles much better than 2009-16 W212 Mercedes E Class and 2010-17 F10 BMW 5 Series in handling.
4GS is pin sharp, good body control, with higher levels of adhesion, and very controllable at the limit.
The E Class is NOT pin sharp, while the 5 Series is not pin sharp either - floating around and bobbing up and down on bumpy corners.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi...luxury-sedans/

However, I have NEVER test driven the latest 2016-23 W213 E Class nor 2017-24 G30 5 Series, and both these new German rivals have high aluminium content - so I don't know how handling compares in the very latest Germans...
The following 2 users liked this post by peteharvey:
eddie420 (05-21-20), natnut (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20, 11:08 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Disagree with OP. The 4GS handily outhandled its German peers, the E and the 5 series Class when it came out in 2012. Some reviews even compared it to the legendary E39 5 series in driving engagement and handling ability. Not sure about how it compares to the current generation E class and 5 series tbh.

Last edited by natnut; 05-22-20 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-21-20, 11:46 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Disagree with OP. The 4GS handily outhandled its German peers, the E and the 5 series Class when it came out in 2012. Some reviews even compared it to the legendary E39 5 series driving engagement and handling ability. Not sure about how it compares to the current generation E class and 5 series tbh.
That's exactly the point, it was top of it's class in 2012, in 3rd place in 2015 and completely uncompetitive now. I'd buy my 2012 GS new if it were available for 50% of the rrp but it's not competitive at asking price.
Old 05-22-20, 01:36 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Disappointed to hear his thoughts. I thought he would have appreciated it more but I do agree with his main point. Lexus is asking too much considering the competition.

But by far worst review I have ever read is from this person.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-luxury-sedans
Here's another one tearing down the LC500. Her review is a gem too.
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...y-cars-of-2018

Last edited by Dreamcast; 05-22-20 at 01:49 AM.
Bavaria (05-27-20)

Quick Reply: Why would you pay 2020 GS?