GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why would you pay 2020 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 04:44 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Nope would never get the GS350. GS450h yes. It’s fuel economy is still competitive and just as fast if not faster, with no transmission lag.
The following users liked this post:
natnut (05-22-20)
Old 05-22-20, 09:32 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree that the GS nowadays new is highly uncompetitive. Only thing it has going for it is the Lexus reliability. But even then competitors have really gotten more reliable in the past 10 years. I loved the GS line and still do but am highly disappointed in what Lexus has done to it or rather .. not done. The new GS is very hard to distinguish from the front from the IS. The GS used to be clearly different in terms of styling but Lexus has pretty much blended them all together now.
Old 05-22-20, 10:47 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Disagree with OP. The 4GS handily outhandled its German peers, the E and the 5 series Class when it came out in 2012. Some reviews even compared it to the legendary E39 5 series in driving engagement and handling ability. Not sure about how it compares to the current generation E class and 5 series tbh.
I can't say I agree with this. I owned both the E39 with a V8 and the even larger E38 also with the V8. Both cars will run circles around our GS. And this was 20-yrs ago back in Y2K.
Old 05-22-20, 12:08 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 464 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
I can't say I agree with this. I owned both the E39 with a V8 and the even larger E38 also with the V8. Both cars will run circles around our GS. And this was 20-yrs ago back in Y2K.
Yes, back in the old days, the 1995-03 BMW E39 5 Series could run circles around old GS.

However, today things have changed.
The 2010-17 BMW F10 5 Series used the very old full size platform from the very old 2001-08 BMW E65 7 Series - thus it ended up being an overweight 5 Series with lack of agility and sharpness, and ponderous floating around.
It wasn't just a case of new 5 Series using old 7 Series platform - there was actually something wrong with BMW's suspension set up, because the 2011-18 F30 3 Series did NOT share 7 Series platform, but F30 was also ponderous and floating around too.

Nowadays, the very latest 2017-24 G30 5 Series, and 2018-25 G20 3 Series use BMW's all new global CLAR OKL rear drive architecture with high aluminium content - similar to the TNGA GA-L platform shared by Lexus LC Coupe, 5LS and overseas Toyota Crowns, but I have yet to test drive BMW's all new OKL platforms.

Carfan94 (12-10-23)
Old 05-27-20, 09:55 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

I’ve always admired the GS-F especially in the blue color but I couldn’t honestly pay that much for basically an old car. I had the same problem with the GX I love the look but I can’t pay that much for what’s basically essentially an old car. I agree that getting a car off of a lease is the best business decision you can make but there’s nothing like that new car feeling! It’s awesome knowing you’ve put every single mile on there, you know every single scratch, ding on the car, and you know the actual history not just a few receipts and a car fax print out. I ended up getting an RX which at least feels like a newer car, as it has most of the new technologies. Lexus infotainment is horrible my RX is a 2019 which doesn’t have car play and has the mouse which everyone hates. I just got a loaner 2020 RX with CarPlay which is awesome but it has the the lap top touch pad and I hate it!!! Good thing the screen itself is touch screen becauce this is way worse that the older style mouse control.
Old 05-27-20, 10:16 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Absolutely nothing special about a 2020 GS except for waiting to depreciate and becoming a better deal. If I need a new car, the GS at $60K will not be on the list much less a shortlist.
Old 05-27-20, 10:18 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

PeteHarvey, what about the e60? What platform was that on? The e39s?
Old 05-27-20, 10:55 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Currently drive an '07 GS350 bought new. It has 101k miles on it, and I'll probably drive it cross-country this summer (as I've done four times in the past). I looked at the new GS and couldn't take the cow catcher grill or the asking price. May look again in another 13 years!
Old 05-27-20, 11:27 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 314 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
Saw an article recently about limited run 2020 Lexus GS350 F-Sport. I didn’t see its pricing, but I would guess somewhere close to $60k?

If you are on the market for a new car, why would you spend $60k on a brand-new but 8+ years old model in 2020? I am trying to understand some reasoning from those who are actually considering brand new Lexus GS a viable option.

I have had 5 lexus thus far and I still think Lexus makes great reliable cars. But specifically to 4GS, if I were to consider it new:
Pros: reliable engine/tranny, good interior build quality.
Cons: horrible infotainment including no apple car, lack of handling agility (I can feel the car was made yesterday).

I think it’s only attractive USED. $60k is a good number in USA car market where options are plentiful. Thanks for your thoughts.

Its all perspective. I set out to replace my beloved 2013 535i Msport its rare 6spd manual. Great car, only 60k miles. Out of warranty and my first BMW that was a pain i the *** after years and years of both leasing and owning. Since we have a small convertible sport 2 seater with MT as third car its not so important my daily driver be “fun”. I sought out to buy a 2017 Fsport with 36k miles for about 32-35k. With three German cars in the driveway (wife has a 2015 Audi Allroad with 60k miles) I thought it was time to not have a 2.0 turbo and I wanted Japan Build. I wanted reliable and obvious the GS was a choice even with its older platform. Had to have certain color combo’s and no red interior. Must haves were AWD and Levinson. Not easy to find in NC.
Come end of December I get an offer for a 2020 with MSRP for $59.5 for 10 grand off. What IM learning is while there are deals out there I have to buy one sight unseen and have it shipped. CPO at Lexus for 2017-18 in a fine *** car as I want it starts to get closer to higher 30’s and nearly 40k. I know there are those with epic stories but for weeks shopped a lot of cars. I know the market. My experience was AWD, and two choices of gray and no red interior the pickings get slim!!
So what does up to $50 grand buy? A lot of German car if used!!! But I’m not going that route. New? You ever see what $50k buys in BMW-Audi-Mercedes land?? 2.0 turbo motors, and nothing exciting or over the top luxury. Compare a $60k GS to those brands and its a relative bargain when compared with same options. But.......you don’t get the performance or modern interior/tech. That comes with $70K MSRP in E class, A6 and 5 series.
Now lets compare real world $50k pricing of GS and compare it to new real world pricing on 3 series-A4-Class. Your getting nicer variants and good performance from 4cyl motors. But I want to own the car 7 years.
Build quality of GS Fsport with AWD and Levinson vs. those German builds and it starts looking better. Not impressed with BMW 3 series interior vs GS. Mercedes is much better but the GS fit and finish and materials is a grade or two higher.
Genesis did not really excite me either.
Kia? I’m a 58 year old man, I’m not driving a car called “Stinger”.
New GS special edition? No performance enhancements and I don’t see it being a collectors item. Real world pricing? We’ll see. I don’t see the value added.
If you like to be noticed in a car I get how a stock GS can be boring. My complaints of this car is it has no real soul and because it does everything really well it kind of is just a really nice place to be and drive. It has LED headlights and they are really cool especially to some of the fan boys out there. The front end styling is nice but so are all the new Lexus’, rest of it looks like generic Japanese/Koren build with finer details. It does not stand out. I’m OK it’s that. It has more tech then the car it replaced. Apple car play is great but not if I have to plug my phone in. Other complaint is the AWD does not feel as good as RWD. But I chose utility over performance. This car checks a lot of boxes but not the emotions.
At 50k Tesla was not even a thought. No dealer within 70 miles of me. Not hating on it. Just practical.
Hope this better describes why I bought an old new car.

Last edited by Nalod; 05-27-20 at 11:37 AM.
Carfan94 (12-10-23)
Old 05-27-20, 05:24 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Only an idiot would spend anywhere near that type of money for a new GS hell even at 50k is absurd especially one so obsolete and old as the GS. is. Used is the best value and way to go on any GS model in my opinion. Pay 40-50% of the cars MSRP with 90% of its life left. Win
Lend0 (06-22-20)
Old 05-27-20, 06:10 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
Currently drive an '07 GS350 bought new. It has 101k miles on it, and I'll probably drive it cross-country this summer (as I've done four times in the past). I looked at the new GS and couldn't take the cow catcher grill or the asking price. May look again in another 13 years!
In my area, I'm finding $5K discount (10% off) off MSRP isn't hard to get right now. I see a number of dealers have GS350s just sitting on the lot for weeks and willing to deal. I see Lexus ES, RX sell with $9K-10K discounts occasionally but timing is key I guess. Not sure about GS350 factory discounts to dealers, sometimes they pass it to the consumers.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $50K+ for any car (not Tesla also). There are also 2019 GS350s at a few dealers but they can't sell due a recall. (not sure the details, they aren't talking). I'm guessing the fuel filter but there maybe something else. Maybe you can get a good deal if you can have somebody fix the issue and sell it.

The CPO vehicles (ES, GS) that we purchased has been a real disappointment with extra repairs and expenses. I guess you get what you pay for. You will be buying somebody else's problem if you don't how to look.

Old 05-28-20, 08:07 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

My dealer has a new 19 GS that hasn't sold and it's been on their lot for a year now. Wonder what happens with these 19's that haven't sold?!
Old 05-28-20, 10:01 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
Saw an article recently about limited run 2020 Lexus GS350 F-Sport. I didn’t see its pricing, but I would guess somewhere close to $60k?

If you are on the market for a new car, why would you spend $60k on a brand-new but 8+ years old model in 2020? I am trying to understand some reasoning from those who are actually considering brand new Lexus GS a viable option.
Some people might be currently leasing a 3-year-old GS and want to renew their lease with the same vehicle, and don't care for the ES or any CUV. Lexus customers aren't all knowledgeable car enthusiasts like on this board. The brunt of the customer base just want a vehicle they can depend on that they're used to with a dealership they trust that can get them from A to B.
Old 05-28-20, 10:07 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

I would never buy an ES again. I purchased a CPO for the wife. It's feels like an Avalon and that feels like a Camry in material.

GS drives better with RWD but is going away.

Last edited by websurfer; 05-28-20 at 10:17 AM.
natnut (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 11:53 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
My dealer has a new 19 GS that hasn't sold and it's been on their lot for a year now. Wonder what happens with these 19's that haven't sold?!
They'll get cheaper until they do.

Quick Reply: Why would you pay 2020 GS?