GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why would you pay 2020 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-20, 10:26 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Boi
I'm always surprised to hear how people hate the GS infotainment systems. I have owned Mercs, many Cadillacs and others including even a Charger Hellcat and I can honestly say I love my GS infotainment system. The screens are bright and clear, the screen responds to my inputs fast, the little mouse always work great for me and I don't see the problem. My Iphone's bluetooth links up to the car perfectly so I can play my music, or I can plug the phone in the armrest and sync up and charge at the same time. I cant use the iPhone NAV on the car, but the factory NAV works great.

Maybe I'm just different, but I love the GS infotainment. The large screen is one of my favorite things about the interior.

Now would I pay 60K for one new??? HELL NO. If I was going to spend 60K FOR ANY CAR, (No Disrespect to Lexus b/c I love all their vehicles) I would get a CPO S-Class, 7 Series, Maserati or even a CPO Hellcat or Lexus LS. On the used car market, 60 grand opens up incredible possibilities.

This being my first Japanese car, I was actually looking to purchase a used LS460. While looking, I test drove a GS on a whim and IMMEDIATELY fell in love. I still want a LS tho. I switch up my cars quick so I may get a LS next. But I do love this GS so much, I could easily see myself just keeping it. My Build Thread is coming soon...... lol
I don't see a major problem with the infotainment but it could be way better. I had other vehicles like Acura and Honda and were a lot easier to use.
Old 05-29-20, 10:30 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

To tell the truth, I never buy new. All my cars were lightly used by one previous owner. Just had all of them inspected by an experienced mechanic before I concluded the purchase. That being said, I would never ever buy a German car used, just too many horror stories and from watching my Dad's E class spend more time in the workshop than on the road.

Another thing : a good chassis is a good chassis. Well sorted suspension is timeless no matter the model year. Quality is quality. Reliability is...well you get the idea. Not sure why everyone is so eager to believe the Kool-Aid that a newer model = better car.

In fact, let you guys in on a little secret I discovered : a new model year car is basically Prototype A with the buyer as a guinea pig to work out all the quirks and faults in the bodywork and especially the electronics/fuel/cooling systems. Which is why facelifts and light redesigns have better initial quality and long-term reliability than the 1st model year cars : the engineers take the feedback and reliability data from the 1st year owners and incorporate upgrades and improvements in the later year facelifts. So I always buy late model year cars since all the faults have been worked out of the car already.

Therefore, to OP: the better question should be why would you entrust your money to a brand new untested model????

Last edited by natnut; 05-30-20 at 12:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by natnut:
703 (06-02-20), Im2bz2p345 (06-03-20)
Old 06-01-20, 02:49 PM
sksinsdca
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a couple of bad experiences with used cars. I did buy a 2015 GS used which was very nice. I keep my cars 10-12 years, and upon finding the GS is discontinued, and seeing all the new improvements after 2015 (except the front styling) I leased a 2020. With technology changing, I can turn it in or buy it out. I'm afraid anything next will have a turbo (I don't want), smaller engine, or just not like. Especially since sedans are going the way of the dinosaurs, and I do not want an SUV. The GS has been around long enough to have the kinks worked out, and I love the Lexus brand (had a 2007 GS 350 too).
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (06-01-20)
Old 06-01-20, 02:54 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by sksinsdca
I've had a couple of bad experiences with used cars. I did buy a 2015 GS used which was very nice. I keep my cars 10-12 years, and upon finding the GS is discontinued, and seeing all the new improvements after 2015 (except the front styling) I leased a 2020. With technology changing, I can turn it in or buy it out. I'm afraid anything next will have a turbo (I don't want), smaller engine, or just not like. Especially since sedans are going the way of the dinosaurs, and I do not want an SUV. The GS has been around long enough to have the kinks worked out, and I love the Lexus brand (had a 2007 GS 350 too).
Congrats on your new ride.
I'm with your on this I don't like turbo and wanted a sedan (no SUV). Also, I got a CPO 2016 as bad experience plus another wife's ES350 (smoke smell, trim cracking). I suspect the GS had an accident before and it's not reported. If I had something nice, I'll keep for a while.

So you'll lease and buy at the end?

Last edited by websurfer; 06-01-20 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 03:00 PM
sksinsdca
Driver School Candidate

Regarding competitors having more horsepower, you still have to pay $$$ more to end up the additional HP, so it is not a apple to apple comparison.

Last edited by sksinsdca; 06-01-20 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 03:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Congrats on your new 2020, sksinsdca!
Old 06-02-20, 03:52 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 314 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by sksinsdca
Well said. i got mine with a super low price, leased at a low interest rate and should I still like the care in 2.5 years buy it. Owned this thing 5 months and only have 2800 miles because of the Covid.
Buy out is 27k. At $59.500 MSRP its a bad lease. At $49,500 its very very good.
If I could have bought a 3 year old CPO super clean with the options I wanted in the color I wanted at that price I'd have bought 2 of them!!
Not even close, it was more like $37k and up. I did not want a 2016, I wanted a 2017. Even fewer to find.
Bottom line im happy. OP don't want to think he all that and Im not? Have at it. Im glad he is happy with his value. Some of us with 2020 are also. Now he might not agree, but hopefull understand we exist.
Old 06-02-20, 04:47 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Nalod
Well said. i got mine with a super low price, leased at a low interest rate and should I still like the care in 2.5 years buy it. Owned this thing 5 months and only have 2800 miles because of the Covid.
Buy out is 27k. At $59.500 MSRP its a bad lease. At $49,500 its very very good.
If I could have bought a 3 year old CPO super clean with the options I wanted in the color I wanted at that price I'd have bought 2 of them!!
Not even close, it was more like $37k and up. I did not want a 2016, I wanted a 2017. Even fewer to find.
Bottom line im happy. OP don't want to think he all that and Im not? Have at it. Im glad he is happy with his value. Some of us with 2020 are also. Now he might not agree, but hopefull understand we exist.
You are right, I saw a 2018 GS F Sport CPO at around $37K with 18K miles gone in 1 week. For the right color ext and int is almost impossible to fine. Most of the dealers here rarely stock these vehicles for long esp. CPO ones.

I noticed a few 2019 ones floating around still.
Old 06-02-20, 06:25 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Just completed a 700+ miles road trip in my GS and I like this car a lot and finally saw 29+ MPG!!!!!!!

Car has great power and feels really good for long drives and my back didn't ache at all, it's a really nice car to be in. it's a My 2014 gave me back problems after long drives.
The following 2 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
NickMayer (06-04-20), signdetres (06-03-20)
Old 06-02-20, 07:32 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

The only thing I don't like the GS are the seats. They are not supportive like the ones I have in my RX or 2010 GS. The cushioning is just so thin in comparison.
Old 06-02-20, 07:34 PM
sksinsdca
Driver School Candidate

Will buy at end of lease depending on what else is available then. Hopefully can buy out in cash. Knowing my past habits I’ll probably keep it, but I do like the LS 460.... Too many wants, not enough time or $!
Old 06-03-20, 04:32 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by websurfer
You are right, I saw a 2018 GS F Sport CPO at around $37K with 18K miles gone in 1 week. For the right color ext and int is almost impossible to fine. Most of the dealers here rarely stock these vehicles for long esp. CPO ones.

I noticed a few 2019 ones floating around still.

Was that 2018 an AWD? Thats what I wanted. Then, color? Then I was flexible between black, Mica and Atomic Silver. No white. Wife has a white car. Not my thing. Then did it have Red Interior? Deal Breaker, can’t have it. first choice was Flaxen but that is a rare one! I know this is petty but I had to have the ML audio. LED lights I was flexible on. I got them though. they look nice but was not necessary. Add it all up not much was coming up within a few hundred miles of where I am. If I’m buying out of town CPO sight unseen I’m only doing it via Lexus dealer which does not guarantee a thing. Lexus does keep the cleanest best equipped cars. They they do like their prices to stay high and they dont’ stay on the lot long to negotiate on. Not my unicorn.
If I’m going to pay 38-40k on a what I wanted used. $49,500 was not a reach. I like it, I’ll write a check for it for $27k in 2.5 years. I’ll worry about it then. Until then why not just enjoy the new car goodness?

Last edited by Nalod; 06-03-20 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-03-20, 08:00 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Nalod
Was that 2018 an AWD? Thats what I wanted. Then, color? Then I was flexible between black, Mica and Atomic Silver. No white. Wife has a white car. Not my thing. Then did it have Red Interior? Deal Breaker, can’t have it. first choice was Flaxen but that is a rare one! I know this is petty but I had to have the ML audio. LED lights I was flexible on. I got them though. they look nice but was not necessary. Add it all up not much was coming up within a few hundred miles of where I am. If I’m buying out of town CPO sight unseen I’m only doing it via Lexus dealer which does not guarantee a thing. Lexus does keep the cleanest best equipped cars. They they do like their prices to stay high and they dont’ stay on the lot long to negotiate on. Not my unicorn.
If I’m going to pay 38-40k on a what I wanted used. $49,500 was not a reach. I like it, I’ll write a check for it for $27k in 2.5 years. I’ll worry about it then. Until then why not just enjoy the new car goodness?
It was RWD. I took a picture of it on craigslist. Sold in 1 week. Why Flaxen?

I know of a few 2019 4GS available.

I research the VIN and they dealer did so some work plus the new purchaser had rotors fixed. Doesn't look CPO though.

Old 06-03-20, 10:46 AM
Nalod
Advanced

I research the VIN and they dealer did so some work plus the new purchaser had rotors fixed. Doesn't look CPO though.

Why flaxen? Why any color? I like Gray with brown interior. I like low key combo's. Im 58 yrs old, and like cars but not draw attention to it.
I prefer it. Im about ambience and the sum of the parts, not each piece. How a car feels, sounds, the total dynamic. Fsport AWD is a great set up for me. Mica with Flaxen would be my first choice used. Then Atomic with Black. I have mica with black interior. Very happy. In retrospect I am toally smitten with the Naguri trim with the black and think I might not have liked the Flaxed as much with it. Wood trim would be better. All my BMW's had wood on dash. Really suprised how the Naguri comes off.
A cars "feel" is more important than the visuals. I have rented cars with ambient interior lighting and I turn it way down. No color. I lower my dash lighting as well as the led display. Its distracting. Im there to drive and be entertained by music. I Love the vibe the ML in the GS does. Im listening to more high rez jazz masters and they sound awesome.
This is why Im not bothered by the outdated tech. I drove the new ES and did not the same feel as this GS. I drove some nice cars at FOR THE MONEY really find this car a great value. Even new!!! LOL
I know for some a car is a form of self expression and individualism. I applaud that.
We have a third 2 seat sport coup convertable with MT so I don't have the need for this to be a fun car. The GS is a grand tourer and performance at mid 5 sec to 60mph is more than enough for what this does. Combined with an incredible reliable history this car new or used checked a lot of boxes for me.
If inantimite objects like cars have "competitors" then it pales vs a turbo 6 bmw 5 series with an MSRP over 70k. But its 20grand less. It stands great next to other cars costing 50k. Again, thats why I pay for 2020 GS.
If I sound a bit enthusiastoc I just returned from just second road trip and even more enamored with this car. 500 miles round trip, not a big deal and did it solo. So a bit of "Alone" time, or "Man with machine bonding time". 5 months old and less then 3000 miles on odo! ****ing Covid!!!!
websurfer (06-03-20)
Old 06-03-20, 06:32 PM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

keep in mind dealers often lower the price after deal already in place to sell to a buyer to drive traffic. 2018s are going for about $34k with this amount of miles at auctions off lease from Lexus
websurfer (06-03-20)

Quick Reply: Why would you pay 2020 GS?