GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Why would you pay 2020 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 07:42 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why would you pay 2020 GS?

Saw an article recently about limited run 2020 Lexus GS350 F-Sport. I didn’t see its pricing, but I would guess somewhere close to $60k?

If you are on the market for a new car, why would you spend $60k on a brand-new but 8+ years old model in 2020? I am trying to understand some reasoning from those who are actually considering brand new Lexus GS a viable option.

I have had 5 lexus thus far and I still think Lexus makes great reliable cars. But specifically to 4GS, if I were to consider it new:
Pros: reliable engine/tranny, good interior build quality.
Cons: horrible infotainment including no apple car, lack of handling agility (I can feel the car was made yesterday).

I think it’s only attractive USED. $60k is a good number in USA car market where options are plentiful. Thanks for your thoughts.
The following users liked this post:
rehall7 (05-27-20)
Old 05-21-20, 08:26 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

I personally wouldn't care for the special July version of the GS350 but given only 200 will be made, maybe it will be a collector's edition. Who knows. I think the GS350 is still a very attractive styling and vehicle with great reliability and that's on my top list. Given my '16 CPO car purchase has been bad experience altogether with issues with paint, navigation button, bad odor, I rather purchase new for next vehicle. The time and headaches involved. The infotainment hasn't been updated for a while that's the issue. IMHO, I purchased the car to be reliable, fun to drive and something that will last a while. Technology always changes and I can get that at home or on my smartphone (iphone). Car manufacturers are not tech companies and if they just stay making reliable, beautiful, fun cars that's all I ask for.
The following 6 users liked this post by websurfer:
Bavaria (05-27-20), Carfan94 (12-10-23), edoggie (06-27-20), Markw4mms (05-29-20), Rajananda (05-27-20), Robertcave (05-22-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-21-20, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Meh, I bought my 19 new and would do it again.

I had a 15 which I loved, but was coming off lease and while I wanted to just buy it out, the residual didn't really line up to make that a viable deal, plus I wanted some additional features, like radar cruise and HUD.

I did a fairly exhaustive search of other new cars in the class and just couldn't find anything else that I liked as much. There were cars with more power, there were cars with somewhat better tech, but nothing I looked at and drove felt like something I wanted to own long term, and I was ready to get out of the leasing game. I looked up a bit in price range, to the BMW 540i, and down a bit, to the Kia Stinger GT2, and a few in between, but at the end of the day it was the GS that I wanted. The only tech that I wanted that the new GS didn't offer was a surround view camera, but that wasn't a show stopper.

I don't have the issue many others seem to have with the infotainment system. It does everything I need it to do and I've been using it, issue free, for years. I have no interest in CarPlay, so that wasn't an issue for me. And I really disagree that the handling isn't great. I think it hits a perfect balance between luxurious and sporty. In Sport S+ mode, handling is flat and secure and I've never been able to catch it off guard. I still love the car, and intend to keep it for a long, long time.

Edit: I would also add that while the MSRP on my GS was about $61k, you most definitely do not have to pay close to MSRP on a new GS. There are significant discounts to be had.

Last edited by JDR76; 05-21-20 at 08:39 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by JDR76:
Carfan94 (12-10-23), Jayson (05-28-20), LuckyguyM2 (05-29-20), Malu59RT (05-27-20), Markw4mms (05-29-20), MOB561 (08-06-20), natnut (05-21-20), NickMayer (06-04-20) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-21-20, 08:42 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I understand what you are saying for sure. But, it is a really nice car overall and very reliable. Some people also refuse to buy used because they are scared of inheriting someone else’s problem. Some people also have enough money that the price doesn’t matter to them. Some people can’t stand to have a single imperfection on their car.

Anyway, none of that applies to me. I’m buying a used one. I just think those are some of the reasons someone buys new.
Old 05-21-20, 08:45 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Someone had to buy my car new so I can buy it 3 years used 55% off msrp. The first owner always takes the biggest hit with depreciation.
The following 3 users liked this post by peasodos:
BROCKES300 (05-27-20), jonathancl (05-21-20), MOB561 (08-06-20)
Old 05-21-20, 09:01 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by JDR76

I had a 15 which I loved, but was coming off lease and while I wanted to just buy it out, the residual didn't really line up to make that a viable deal, plus I wanted some additional features, like radar cruise and HUD.

I did a fairly exhaustive search of other new cars in the class and just couldn't find anything else that I liked as much. There were cars with more power, there were cars with somewhat better tech, but nothing I looked at and drove felt like something I wanted to own long term, and I was ready to get out of the leasing game. I looked up a bit in price range, to the BMW 540i, and down a bit, to the Kia Stinger GT2, and a few in between, but at the end of the day it was the GS that I wanted. The only tech that I wanted that the new GS didn't offer was a surround view camera, but that wasn't a show stopper.

I don't have the issue many others seem to have with the infotainment system. It does everything I need it to do and I've been using it, issue free, for years. I have no interest in CarPlay, so that wasn't an issue for me. And I really disagree that the handling isn't great. I think it hits a perfect balance between luxurious and sporty. In Sport S+ mode, handling is flat and secure and I've never been able to catch it off guard. I still love the car, and intend to keep it for a long, long time.

Edit: I would also add that while the MSRP on my GS was about $61k, you most definitely do not have to pay close to MSRP on a new GS. There are significant discounts to be had.
I agree, surround camera was on my wish list also. Some Lexus and Toyota already have that.
Old 05-21-20, 09:05 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 529 Likes on 360 Posts

I would probably buy it if I was looking for a sedan. We love our GS.
The obvious exception is a Tesla Model 3.
But I doubt there is another current sedan that matches so much of what the GS350 F Sport does, at least for me.
Old 05-21-20, 09:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I agree, surround camera was on my wish list also. Some Lexus and Toyota already have that.
Yeah, we have it on our Highlander. I passed on it with my Tacoma, but maybe I should have went with it. But on the Tacoma I don't have to worry about curbing rims.

I like it on the Highlander and think it's a nice-to-have item but not critical at all. When I bought the 19, regardless of what car I ended up with, the features that I wanted were HUD, all-speed radar cruise, lane centering, and AWD.
Old 05-21-20, 09:43 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Not implying at all that our cars are trash but there is a saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."

In this world, there is something out there for everyone. Just because we (or a majority of us) think that spending $60k on a car that came out 8+ years ago is a waste of money, it doesn't mean that the person next to us will necessarily feel the same way.

Besides, that's why there's only going to be a limited number of these 2020 models! I'm sure Lexus will be able to find several hundred(?) of these people out of our population of 300+ million!
Old 05-21-20, 09:56 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by peasodos
Someone had to buy my car new so I can buy it 3 years used 55% off msrp. The first owner always takes the biggest hit with depreciation.
That was my original plan but I found so many issues with my CPO purchase.

Last edited by websurfer; 05-21-20 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 09:58 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I understand what you are saying for sure. But, it is a really nice car overall and very reliable. Some people also refuse to buy used because they are scared of inheriting someone else’s problem. Some people also have enough money that the price doesn’t matter to them. Some people can’t stand to have a single imperfection on their car.

Anyway, none of that applies to me. I’m buying a used one. I just think those are some of the reasons someone buys new.
I'm feeling the part of inheriting someone else's problem with the unknown past. Wife doesn't want to spend too much as always so that's how I ended up CPO.
Old 05-21-20, 10:43 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I am eternally grateful to everyone who has owned my cars before me, for I could not have enjoyed such valuable miles without them.

Their sacrifice is my pleasure.
The following 3 users liked this post by jonathancl:
Carfan94 (12-10-23), NoFire (05-30-20), Shvc0137 (05-27-20)
Old 05-21-20, 11:42 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

Exactly my sentiments on the GS. While I would love to have CarPlay, its not a dealbreaker. I recognize Lexus/Toyota is behind in terms of infotainment vs. peers, but I've been using the current system with no issue for years. Between Siri Eyes Free and navigation, it covers the basics for my daily use. For me, the other positive attributes of the GS like handling, build and materials quality, and styling weighted more in my decision than updated infotainment.
The following users liked this post:
natnut (05-21-20)
Old 05-21-20, 12:01 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

GS is the best car in the world! Long live the GS!!
Old 05-21-20, 12:35 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

The GS remains one of the most reliable 4 door mid-sized sedans that offers AWD at a price point that pretty much undercuts all German competition. If you plan to lease the car and reliability is not a concern, a more modern, updated, high tech car might suit you better.

You might buy a 2020 bc the 2020 GS is a rare car and you like that unique feeling. You might wait 3 years and get it for half that. Maybe you value the great, balance ride coupled with longevity and reliability that the 2020 might provide for the next decade...over the gadgetry and novelty that might wear off with other cars.

I wouldn't pay $60k for a 2020 GS - i'd pay $30k for a 2017
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
Jayson (05-28-20), Shvc0137 (05-27-20)

Quick Reply: Why would you pay 2020 GS?