GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 vs RC350

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 01:48 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I've had 2 RCs before, 2017 with FSE and 2018 with FKS engines.

I feel that the RC isn't as quick on its feet as the GS maybe due to the weight and plus the new RC line still doesn't have the all speed cruise control and self driving. It's a big let down in that department.
How did you go from two RCs in two years to a GS again? Where they leases or you traded-in? I remember the first RC you got but then lost track of everything after that.

Ed
Old 06-17-20, 04:37 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Have you come to a decision on what you might get Sign?
Old 06-17-20, 08:00 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
How did you go from two RCs in two years to a GS again? Where they leases or you traded-in? I remember the first RC you got but then lost track of everything after that.

Ed
They were all leases. My 2017 RC got hit and I got a 2018, then I got tired of it cause it lacks a lot of stuff compared to the GS, that's why I went back.
The following users liked this post:
SC300Es (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 08:52 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
My lease ends November 4th and I'm already beginning to get texts and emails from dealers who want to get me out of my 2018 GS and "into a new 2020 GS for a lower monthly payment." I normally roll my eyes at these claims because that's what they say all the time, I've heard it so many times over the years and most of the time, it never really works out as those remaining payments still have to go somewhere.

That said, given the state of sedans, the 4GS, and the rest of the world, I feel like it may actually be worth looking into, if not now, at least in a month or two when my lease is even closer to ending.

I haven't really been thinking about getting a new car and am still really enjoying my GS and am still finding new things to enjoy about it everyday. The experience never really gets old & I may likely just wait out the next few months until my lease actually ends. I feel like by the end of this year there will be a lot of cool new cars worth considering & that said, I don't know if I'll be able to go another 3 years on my 3rd 4GS - it may truly feel dated by then.

If I decide to get another GS, my requirements are that it has to be RWD with rear-wheel steering, limited-slip diff, and triple beam headlights. I would also really like the Rioja Red interior & at this point am leaning towards Obsidian or Caviar, maybe Smoke Granite Mica. I don't know what the inventory will look like in a couple months time but as of right now, nationwide there is only *one* RWD GS with triple beam headlights. From what I can see there are *zero* with rear-wheel steering and the limited slip diff. How do I go about getting this unicorn of a GS model?

On the other hand, I'm really leaning towards the 2020 RC 350 F-Sport. I like the idea of switching it up and going back to a coupe. I've used the rear-seats on my GS for people probably just a handful of times so I really don't need the extra space. I really like the styling of the updated RC with the updated triple beam headlights. I think it's really beautifully styled and has so many lines and curves to explore. I don't love that the rear taillights don't have LED turn signals from the factory, but that's an easy and quick fix to do.

I do have similar requirements for the RC though. It has to be a RWD model with triple beams, rear-wheel steering, and a red interior. As of this moment, it would appear nationwide there are RWD models aplenty with triple beams and a red interior, but it doesn't seem like any have rear-wheel steering. How would I go about finding an RC with all of these options?

Here are some of the pros and cons I've come up with for switching from my '18 GS to a '20 GS vs '20 RC and some of the things I'd be looking forward to gaining but also some of the things I am not excited about losing:

Pros:
+ Newer bold design with very expressive styling
+ More fresh look/feel inside & out
+ Newer, current infotainment system with the touchpad setup
+ F-Sport Digital Cluster that actually slides back and forth
+ Touch sensitive lighting controls for the ceiling lights
+ Updated blind-spot monitoring system
+ Would get rear-wheel steering, which also adds VGRS (if I can find one with this option)
+ Would get triple-beam headlights (seems easy to find)
+ Front end of the car is based on the GS, so it should have a little bit of GS feel and flavor in there, I hope

Cons:
- Lower quality interior vs GS. It's still nice, no doubt, but the GS is clearly a small notch nicer.
- Lose automatic parking brake
- Lose automatic trunk
- Lose power folding mirrors
- Lose ambient lighting on the doors (I'm not sure about this but I think I read these were removed for the RC facelift. I hope this is wrong.)
- No LED turn signals in the rear
- No power rear sunshade (Not sure about this but it may have been removed for the RC facelift as well.)
- No all-speed cruise control. This might be a dealbreaker for me. It has the "high-speed" system that only works from 30mph+ which means it doesn't do stop and go traffic, which is pretty much the only type of traffic there is around me. I really need to think about this one. I don't drive that much these days, but when I have to, I would hate to not have this option. That said, I don't love how the "all-speed" system works in my 18 GS. It is not the most relaxing system to monitor and use, so even though it does work in stop and go traffic, I tend to stick it out more often than not and drive myself (but this is also because the GS is so enjoyable to drive that I don't mind having to drive it myself - not sure if the RC will also have this quality)

Getting an RC over another GS excites me for a number of reasons, but then I think about some of the things I'll be losing by switching to the RC and I think I should just go after another GS with the features I actually want. What are your thoughts/feelings/opinions on the RC, good and bad? What would you do?

I am kind of in the same boat - I've had my 2015 for a couple years and am getting an itch again. My dealer offered me a fantastic trade-in on a 12k/mile a year lease of a 2020 Caviar/Rioja F-Sport (AWD) OR a 2020 Caviar/Rioja RC 350 F-Sport (AWD) Both are completely equipped so I am debating which one to get with around $9K in discounts on each. My wife just picked up a 2020 Mazda 3 AWD Premium so that takes care of passenger and cargo needs in case I choose the RC but I really like the GS in the color combo I mentioned. Decisions, decisions.

I got my '15 CPO'd and it is still in great condition but I am seeing the 2020 GS being a car I might want to keep for a while (as in buy out the lease) and the RC being a lease-only. I think I am tired of going through cars every two years. I take out both cars later today to see which one I can live with.
Old 06-17-20, 02:40 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Those that want the RC, I'd suggest u wait!!!! The current gen RC is already outdated in terms of tech and no self driving thing compared to the GS. They just released the Lexus Safety 2.5 for the new IS and it's only a matter of time before they put it on the RC. Or wait until the next gen RC.

Also the trunk/cargo space, u better be sure ur not going to carry big stuff cause u can't fit anything in the RC like the GS could. I had to carry a large electric scooter last week from SF to LA and glad that I had a GS and it fits in the back seat. If I still had the RC, forget it. And no power trunk and auto folding mirrors, all these might seem useless but u will miss it when u don't have it anymore.
Old 06-18-20, 08:38 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

The GS won out. The RC just didn’t do it for me and some of the items not available tipped the decision. I take delivery Monday and it will be sitting in my driveway until I can get the clear bra installed
The following 7 users liked this post by MX5NES350:
CAKETOWN (06-18-20), FH212 (06-22-20), Im2bz2p345 (06-18-20), JDR76 (06-19-20), Markw4mms (06-22-20), signdetres (06-21-20), websurfer (06-19-20) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-18-20, 08:39 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
The GS won out. The RC just didn’t do it for me and some of the items not available tipped the decision. I take delivery Monday and it will be sitting in my driveway until I can get the clear bra installed
Very nice! Congrats!

promise to share pics on Monday???
Old 06-19-20, 06:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Yay! I think you made the right choice. Congrats!
Old 06-19-20, 09:33 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I sat in the new RC and inspected it in more details yesterday at the dealer while getting my ES serviced. It doesn't seem to feel any different than my old one, only minor changes to some parts but still feel the same and what were missing from mine are still missing on this one.

I think they cheap out on the trunk lid grab handle there, I think mine used to be chrome trimmed like the GS but the new one is body color painted and definitely looks cheaper.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (06-21-20)
Old 06-19-20, 11:30 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by azipod
Very nice! Congrats!

promise to share pics on Monday???
yup I will!
Old 06-19-20, 11:35 AM
LSSAH
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats on new GS, great choice!
Old 06-19-20, 04:34 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Congrats on a great choice.
Old 06-22-20, 11:15 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Took delivery today. I went with purchase vs. a lease. Although I gave up 0.3% on a rate I got an extra $3K rebate.

The following 4 users liked this post by MX5NES350:
azipod (06-22-20), FH212 (06-22-20), signdetres (06-23-20), websurfer (06-22-20)
Old 06-22-20, 11:42 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase.
Old 06-22-20, 12:46 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Congrats and good choice.

Not to knock the RC - but I think it's a downgrade from the GS. The interior is more liken to IS, no automatic parking brake, it's just as heavy as the GS. The RC design is also not going to age as well as the GS.

Quick Reply: GS350 vs RC350