GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 vs RC350

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 04:09 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts
Default GS350 vs RC350

My lease ends November 4th and I'm already beginning to get texts and emails from dealers who want to get me out of my 2018 GS and "into a new 2020 GS for a lower monthly payment." I normally roll my eyes at these claims because that's what they say all the time, I've heard it so many times over the years and most of the time, it never really works out as those remaining payments still have to go somewhere.

That said, given the state of sedans, the 4GS, and the rest of the world, I feel like it may actually be worth looking into, if not now, at least in a month or two when my lease is even closer to ending.

I haven't really been thinking about getting a new car and am still really enjoying my GS and am still finding new things to enjoy about it everyday. The experience never really gets old & I may likely just wait out the next few months until my lease actually ends. I feel like by the end of this year there will be a lot of cool new cars worth considering & that said, I don't know if I'll be able to go another 3 years on my 3rd 4GS - it may truly feel dated by then.

If I decide to get another GS, my requirements are that it has to be RWD with rear-wheel steering, limited-slip diff, and triple beam headlights. I would also really like the Rioja Red interior & at this point am leaning towards Obsidian or Caviar, maybe Smoke Granite Mica. I don't know what the inventory will look like in a couple months time but as of right now, nationwide there is only *one* RWD GS with triple beam headlights. From what I can see there are *zero* with rear-wheel steering and the limited slip diff. How do I go about getting this unicorn of a GS model?

On the other hand, I'm really leaning towards the 2020 RC 350 F-Sport. I like the idea of switching it up and going back to a coupe. I've used the rear-seats on my GS for people probably just a handful of times so I really don't need the extra space. I really like the styling of the updated RC with the updated triple beam headlights. I think it's really beautifully styled and has so many lines and curves to explore. I don't love that the rear taillights don't have LED turn signals from the factory, but that's an easy and quick fix to do.

I do have similar requirements for the RC though. It has to be a RWD model with triple beams, rear-wheel steering, and a red interior. As of this moment, it would appear nationwide there are RWD models aplenty with triple beams and a red interior, but it doesn't seem like any have rear-wheel steering. How would I go about finding an RC with all of these options?

Here are some of the pros and cons I've come up with for switching from my '18 GS to a '20 GS vs '20 RC and some of the things I'd be looking forward to gaining but also some of the things I am not excited about losing:

Pros:
+ Newer bold design with very expressive styling
+ More fresh look/feel inside & out
+ Newer, current infotainment system with the touchpad setup
+ F-Sport Digital Cluster that actually slides back and forth
+ Touch sensitive lighting controls for the ceiling lights
+ Updated blind-spot monitoring system
+ Would get rear-wheel steering, which also adds VGRS (if I can find one with this option)
+ Would get triple-beam headlights (seems easy to find)
+ Front end of the car is based on the GS, so it should have a little bit of GS feel and flavor in there, I hope

Cons:
- Lower quality interior vs GS. It's still nice, no doubt, but the GS is clearly a small notch nicer.
- Lose automatic parking brake
- Lose automatic trunk
- Lose power folding mirrors
- Lose ambient lighting on the doors (I'm not sure about this but I think I read these were removed for the RC facelift. I hope this is wrong.)
- No LED turn signals in the rear
- No power rear sunshade (Not sure about this but it may have been removed for the RC facelift as well.)
- No all-speed cruise control. This might be a dealbreaker for me. It has the "high-speed" system that only works from 30mph+ which means it doesn't do stop and go traffic, which is pretty much the only type of traffic there is around me. I really need to think about this one. I don't drive that much these days, but when I have to, I would hate to not have this option. That said, I don't love how the "all-speed" system works in my 18 GS. It is not the most relaxing system to monitor and use, so even though it does work in stop and go traffic, I tend to stick it out more often than not and drive myself (but this is also because the GS is so enjoyable to drive that I don't mind having to drive it myself - not sure if the RC will also have this quality)

Getting an RC over another GS excites me for a number of reasons, but then I think about some of the things I'll be losing by switching to the RC and I think I should just go after another GS with the features I actually want. What are your thoughts/feelings/opinions on the RC, good and bad? What would you do?

Last edited by signdetres; 06-10-20 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 05:09 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

You'll be over the RC before you know it. IMO it's a flawed vehicle at it's core, just read about it's chassis. If I went to any dealer in my town I'd see many certified used RCs for sale, they're flooded with them, where there are few IS and GS on the lot. They look great but nobody wants them.

I suspect people dump them when they realise that the experience doesn't live up to the vehicle's image. They weight more and are slower to 100 than both the equivalent IS AND GS, and are longer than an IS. From an enthusiasts point of view it doesn't make sense, just watch any review. It should have used a lighter chassis and been a 2 seater like the 370Z, which is outdated yet makes more power and is 250kg lighter.

I'm sure it's a comfortable, stylish and more modern vehicle to pot around in but sports car enthusiasts aren't impressed.
Old 06-10-20, 05:30 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

The RC doesn't get very good reviews in general. I think the GS is a much better car, but is obviously more dated than the RC. Would you consider an used GSF?
The following 2 users liked this post by azipod:
AJLex19 (06-10-20), websurfer (06-12-20)
Old 06-10-20, 06:56 PM
silver4gs
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're going to lease, I don't see why not and get the RC. Payment is going to be about the same, but it's totally a different car. I can live with the Cons listed, but maybe that's because my car doesn't have those haha. The new GS is pretty much the same car you're driving now. How about a lease buyout or a used GSF like Azipod mentioned?
Old 06-10-20, 08:56 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

Drive one and give your impressions......
Old 06-10-20, 09:24 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Not a fan of the RC. If you'd consider an RC, maybe holdout to see what the new redesigned IS looks like - with the departure of the GS, it might be something to consider as well. I did like fellow member @azipod 's suggestion of maybe a GS F. Seems like dealers may have low mileage 2019/2020s sitting on the lot.

I've spoken to dealers who were willing to lease-out their CPO cars (in 2015, I could've leased my current '13 GS for about $375 month w/$2000 down for 3yrs; 42k on the clock). I'd say find out what a GS F like this one (https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2953/overview/) would look like in terms of a lease...
Old 06-11-20, 06:08 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

It's a tough call that only you can decide. I would try to get as much seat time in a RC as you can. I drove quite a few GS's before I pulled the trigger. Red interiors is a love it or hate it thing, I love red interiors and owned several cars with it. Getting a GS with RWD,RWS and triples will be next to impossible unless you can still order one which I don't even know if you can order a 2020 by now?! I'd try and get an RC for the day so you know if it's the right car for you. The sales gal at my local dealer told me I could have a Lexus for a day in order to decide if needed. Be prepared for more detail time once you go with a dark color.
Old 06-11-20, 09:34 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

I get the automotive press is very infuential and they are helpful. at the same time they can taint a view.
For me, it was well known my new GS was out of date and not up to the standard of its competitors but.......Im not paying 70k, I paid $49,700.
So is my shopping is at ths price point and personal preference. I lked it better than what was out ther for $45-50k.
The RC is a looker, but compared to the 4 series coup it is not up to standard. I get that.
But if there is ample supply, what is the price? Money matters. No doubt you pay to play. You can have it all at a price. Your driving the car and paying for it, not the Automotive press.
Old 06-11-20, 04:28 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I've had 2 RCs before, 2017 with FSE and 2018 with FKS engines.

I feel that the RC isn't as quick on its feet as the GS maybe due to the weight and plus the new RC line still doesn't have the all speed cruise control and self driving. It's a big let down in that department.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (06-11-20)
Old 06-11-20, 06:11 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

I had the option to purchase a RC and a GS... I went with the GS. More comfortable and more updated than the RC.

I am glad @ItzFilyO chipped in, I used to see him lurking in the GS forums since there was nothing much going in the RC forums.
Im2bz2p345 (06-14-20)
Old 06-11-20, 07:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
I had the option to purchase a RC and a GS... I went with the GS. More comfortable and more updated than the RC.

I am glad @ItzFilyO chipped in, I used to see him lurking in the GS forums since there was nothing much going in the RC forums.
The RC forum is dead and dry.

Well, I drove the RC for 2 years so nobody knows RC vs GS better than me! and y'all see why I'm back here again and let's not forget trunk space here.
Im2bz2p345 (06-14-20)
Old 06-12-20, 10:44 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

I would go with the GS, I like the roominess in mines.
Old 06-12-20, 11:11 AM
FSportOnly
Rookie

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

There is something special about the GS that the RC just doesn't have. The RC is a great used car purchase type of vehicle. I wouldn't get a new one. I would purchase a new GS however.
Old 06-13-20, 09:52 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

The last new GS350s are 2020 also.
Old 06-15-20, 09:18 AM
MBradshaw
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I briefly considered the RC prior to getting my GS, so I understand the appeal. I definitely wanted something sporty, but when I looked at it, it just didn't feel like *me*. To me, it was a bit small, and seemed like car for a much younger person - so I went with what I considered to be the 'adult' car.

Of course, I could just be the 'old fart' now that I'm in my 50s....

Quick Reply: GS350 vs RC350