GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

A/C not working after replacing the battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 07:04 AM
AMGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C not working after replacing the battery

Hello guys, i just had to replace the battery for my 2014 GS350, and when I put the new battery, everything was operating fine except the Air conditioner its only blowing with 3rd level! when I try to set the fan higher the compressor will shut down right away have anyone faced that before? any ideas?

Thanks,,
Old 06-16-20, 12:12 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

No idea... just replying to say that when my battery dies, I’m trading my GS... the AC, e-brake, door actuators, starter, radio... so many things reported with dead batteries... Lol
The following users liked this post:
enguyen88 (06-17-20)
Old 06-16-20, 02:37 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
No idea... just replying to say that when my battery dies, I’m trading my GS... the AC, e-brake, door actuators, starter, radio... so many things reported with dead batteries... Lol
You need to let the car sit for like 5-10 minutes after turning the car off before pulling the battery to make sure all the system shut down properly. I think this is what people are doing wrong, that or not taking the terminals on/off in the correct order.
websurfer (06-16-20)
Old 06-16-20, 02:41 PM
AMGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
You need to let the car sit for like 5-10 minutes after turning the car off before pulling the battery to make sure all the system shut down properly. I think this is what people are doing wrong, that or not taking the terminals on/off in the correct order.

probably this what happened. So what’s the solution for that? Any advices or ideas?
Old 06-16-20, 06:05 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGS350F
probably this what happened. So what’s the solution for that? Any advices or ideas?
A visit to dealer.
Old 06-16-20, 06:09 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,282 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
A visit to dealer.
Why is the dealer the only solution? Please give a bit more info about your answer.
Old 06-16-20, 07:16 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

I have no idea if this will work, but maybe you can try this... turn off the car and let it sit for 15 minutes like peasodos suggests. Disconnect the battery and let it sit for another 15 minutes. Reconnect the battery and let it sit for another 15 minutes. Turn the ignition to the ACC setting... without touching the brake pedal, press the Start button twice... engine DOES NOT run. This allows power to the systems and allows for each component to "boot up" or "re-initialize" settings. This includes those AC servo motors that have been a little glitchy for some.

Again... I do not know if this will work, but if it does...
Im2bz2p345 (06-18-20)
Old 06-16-20, 07:26 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Certainly worth trying before overpaying a dealer. I've also seen a post for an ac reset protocol. Pushing some of the ac buttons in a precise sequence. Worth searching the forums for that procedure.

Last edited by swfla; 06-16-20 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-17-20, 01:25 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Yes try what @chinee suggested. Otherwise you might have to hook up techstream to read the error codes. You can get the cd and cable to install/connect to your computer on eBay or amazon for around $15.

swfla (06-17-20)
Old 06-17-20, 04:13 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGS350F
You need to get it scanned. Or remove the battery to reset everything again, but follow correct proceedure. Not saying that you caused any damage, sometimes things just happen.

I know Chinee covered it but I'll say it too. This should be a sticky.

1. Switch off car and open the bonnet. Wait 5 minutes. Get yourself a pair of rubber gloves as battery acid is nasty stuff.
2. Disconnect Neg, undo bolt and remove clamp in one clean movement. Take the time to clean the terminal if need be. Mine was wrank. Don't let it touch the battery terminal again.
3. Disconnect positive in the same manner as the negative. Place out of the way.
4. Unbolt the casing etc. Replace battery and casing etc.
5. Ensure the key is in the car or the horn will murder your earballs when making the connections and bugger up the last connection (happened to me)
6. Double check the terminal orientation.
7. Triple check you are placing the correct clamps to the correct terminals. I believe incorrect polarity is where damage is done.
8. Connect the positive and snug up.
9. This is where you need to be precise. WIth your ratcheting socket driver nearby, connect the negative terminal without flinching and in one move, it may spark but you must be brave! Keep downwards pressure on it until you can snug it up with the socket driver. Give the terminals a gentle wiggle to ensure it's connected firmly. I won't go into details but I've had experience with German industrial processors dying because voltage was quickly applied and removed, I'm sure vehicles don't like arcing either. I believe intermittant voltage supply is where damage is done.
10. Wait 5 minutes.
11. Push the start button twice but keep your foot away from the brake pedal. The stereo will tell you that the car is booting and not interupt it. Do NOT start the car. I believe cranking during a processor's cold boot is where damage is done.
12. By the time you've cleaned up your tools/mess the car will be OK to start but don't hurry. Reset your A/C auto buttons and mirror auto folding feature so you can see when the car is locked.
My source - Am an electrican with electronics exp and I changed my battery 3 days ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cwang:
01raja (08-12-20), Im2bz2p345 (06-18-20)
Old 06-17-20, 06:30 AM
silverjdm
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When my vehicle arrived at the port, it arrived with a dead battery.
I purchased a new battery, hooked it up and every thing worked fine except the AC, similar to what you are experiencing.

I hooked it up to Techstream and pulled a number of codes all related to the AC

B1441
B1442
B1446
B1453
These codes were all related to the servo motors which regulate the inlet and outlet air mix for the passenger and driver sides.
This occurs when the vehicle is not allowed to initialize properly after a new battery is installed.

To fix it, Techstream has a utility which allowed me to initialize the servos, the initialization process took less then 10 seconds after which the AC worked fine and the codes went away.

If you don't have Technstream, I would suggest removing the battery, for 10-15 mins, then reinstalling it and allowing the car to sit for a while.
After you enter the vehicle do not start right away, turn it on (don't depress the brake pedal) and let it sit for a couple mins. Hopefully this would reset and initialize the servos. if you listen carefully you would hear the servo motors moving the flaps under the dashboard.

Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by silverjdm:
01raja (08-12-20), websurfer (06-21-20)
Old 06-17-20, 08:01 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I typed "techstream" into ebay just now. Total of $30 for cd and cable. Direct from China 2 weeks shipping estimate. I've gotten things faster from China on occasion.
Old 06-17-20, 08:56 AM
silverjdm
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you can get it on Amazon in 2 days. if you have Prime

You get the cable and they send u a link to download the software and the License code.
Old 06-17-20, 10:15 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

AMGS350F, you've gotten a battery disconnect reset procedure from multiple sources. Give that a shot, it makes sense and can't hurt. As a new member, you should know it's important that you post what your outcome is so others can learn from your experiences. Hopefully you'll have good results.
Old 06-21-20, 12:20 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Lots of good members offered you assistance. What's the outcome? We all benefit from you sharing.

Quick Reply: A/C not working after replacing the battery