GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Love and hate my black GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20, 10:12 PM
valfks
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Love and hate my black GS

I hate how easily the black gets dirty. But looks damn good when it’s cleaned! Was thinking about chrome delete but I’m starting to actually like the chrome look....

Last edited by valfks; 06-21-20 at 12:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by valfks:
CAKETOWN (06-20-20), signdetres (06-21-20)
Old 06-21-20, 12:46 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Black is hard work, but looks great when well maintained.

Old 06-21-20, 05:26 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

It’s a second job keeping it clean!
Old 06-21-20, 07:11 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a black Miata, a black motorcycle and soon will have a black (caviar) F Sport

I owned a black RX and. Black GX

I know the pains and pleasures of owning black vehicles. I will accept the pain for that millisecond of pleasure every day of the week and twice on Sundays
Old 06-21-20, 03:27 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Same here, every car since 2001 has been black, 01 Grand Am, 04 Grand Prix, 08 GS, 13 GS, 15 GS, and now 18 GS.
Old 06-21-20, 07:20 PM
MBradshaw
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh yeah!

PITA to keep clean, but yes - count me in the 'totally worth it' crowd!
Old 06-21-20, 08:37 PM
Wald4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here. PITA to maintain but all worth it when it's clean.

The following users liked this post:
signdetres (06-22-20)
Old 06-22-20, 05:49 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Sometimes you just gotta do black...

Old 06-22-20, 06:19 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Yup

chinee (06-22-20)
Old 06-24-20, 12:20 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Black Lexus Matter.

The following 3 users liked this post by HontoKuro:
BlazingEmu (07-25-20), GFlexus350 (04-27-23), jgscott (02-01-23)
Old 06-24-20, 06:58 PM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

worth it - imo black always looks best out of all colors when clean!
Old 02-01-23, 02:32 PM
Elsudah
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My black GS soon to be Satin Black

A new black coming soon. Until then...

She's naked and unashamed
Old 02-01-23, 04:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

A black car is absolutely beautiful when clean. The problem is - it only stays clean for a mere 42 seconds!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing! There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, dirty or scratched black car. Nothing!

When you’re looking for a new car, the black one will seduce you. You’ll look at that same model in another color, and think about being practical, but that black one will wink at you. Tip its chin. Purr, “Hey baby… I want you inside me.” Walk away NOW, or you’ll take it for a test drive. When you get into a black car for the first time, you’ll feel dangerously sexier than you ever felt in your whole life.

Your inner panther will roar. You’ll tingle in places you forgot you had. You’ll like it. And, chances are - you’ll buy that black car. The other cars just won’t make you tingle like that black one. Your only protection against buying a black car is to never get behind the wheel of a black car in the first place. Just walk away, and life will be uncomplicated. But, you’ll always wonder…'What if!

A thin film of dust becomes luminescent on a black car. Every single spot of anything, even dried sterile water, stands out like a goober zit on prom night. At first, it will disturb and upset you so much that you’ll wash your car immediately. And…then it’ll be dusty again before you even finish drying it. An unknown little fact is: Black cars only stay clean for a mere 42 seconds. But, they are the sexiest 42 seconds you’ll ever know. Because of that 42 second rush, you’ll wash your black baby faithfully every weekend. For the first year anyway. And then, all those scratches and swirls you put in the paint taking care of your baby will erode your resolve. You’ll start skipping. People will stare at your car in disgust, and make all sorts of judgments about your sloppiness. You'll scream things at them like; 'Shut up - I just washed this damn car 15 minutes ago.'

Of course, you could always buy the black car and make it a garage queen...and never drive it. That's really smart! But hey, it will still get dusty...and all scratched up by you carefully hand washing it.

If you’ve never owned a black car - you may want to admire them from afar, with someone else dealing with all that goes with owning a black car. But...maybe you're the kind of guy that is 'up for the job'. Because maybe you have loads of time and energy to deal with it. If so, you either don't have a job, or a wife, or a girlfriend (or both!), or children...or even much of a life!

A scratch on a black car means only one thing - extreme sadness. Be prepared, because you will have zillions of tiny scratches all over your black beauty. You know what color the car is underneath that glossy black? White. You know what scratches black cars? Car washes. Yes, you must always wash it by hand, or that slick black paint will be gouged with zillions of little white arcs where the car wash spinners hit it. Oh, but guess what? Just touching your paint when you hand wash it will also be putting zillions of scratches in the paint. It simply cannot be avoided. Two Bucket Car Wash Method? Forget it!

A scratched-up black car is not sexy. Don’t let your black car go like that. Don’t let it get all scratched up because you’re too lazy to take care it it properly. Or, because it's too cold. Or, you don't have the time. Nothing is worse looking than a black car with swirl rainbows in the black paint that is should be be like a fine mirror finish. Be prepared to buy thousands of dollars worth of car care products and tools to keep it decent looking. Are you ready to wash/clean, strip, clay, polish and wax/coat on a regular basis, all to see it looking less than sexy again as soon as you drive it around the block?

You will park under a tree only once where birds are known to perch for you to learn a tough lesson about how soft black paint etches from bird poop. It will only take you one time to park under the trees in a parking lot notorious for attracting flocks of pooping birds to learn this lesson the hard way. If the bird poop remains for more than an hour on that soft black finish the paint becomes acid etched for sure, which will add nicely to all those swirls and scratches you got.

Black cars aren’t just hot, they are HOT. Getting into a black car on an average summer day is like getting inside a Weber barbecue with the coals at a perfect red glow. If you like to wear shorts, get used to the smell of tender meat frying. It takes longer for the A/C to put out the fire.

Other than that - enjoy your black car!
JUTMSS32 (02-01-23)
Old 02-01-23, 05:43 PM
Reesh510
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys are so right about black car only being clean for about 42 seconds. I just picked this up about a few weeks ago and had paint correction and ceramic coated myself.

Truly is sexy when clean. But man it is work. My previous car was pewter color so you barely seen anything on it.

bclexus (02-01-23)
Old 02-01-23, 07:35 PM
oldguy77
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Everyone should have a black car……..ONCE. WHERE I LIVE THEY GET DUSTY BEFORE THEY ARE DRIED

Quick Reply: Love and hate my black GS