GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Paint Protection Film (PPF) is that worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 06:04 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Whatever sections you don't get ppf'd, make sure you get the touchup paint and apply it asap and then some clear after it dries, makes all the difference especially on the metal parts of the car. Plastic won't rust.
Old 06-24-20, 09:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I see. I used to have a '14 TL and it was pretty bad on the hood. I can't remember the fenders much.

I'm negotiating with the local detailing shop, I just have to sell it to the wife also
Just make sure negotiating price does affect the quality of the work.
Old 06-24-20, 09:37 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Just make sure negotiating price does affect the quality of the work.
Thanks, will do.
Old 06-24-20, 09:39 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
Whatever sections you don't get ppf'd, make sure you get the touchup paint and apply it asap and then some clear after it dries, makes all the difference especially on the metal parts of the car. Plastic won't rust.
I order Dr Colorchip already. It's a 1 step compared to the dealer one for Ultra White. I think it's a 2-stage process. Ultra White then the clear coat.

I had a '14 TL and it was 2 stage to touch up with dealer paint, a real pain.
Old 06-25-20, 02:31 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by websurfer
I order Dr Colorchip already. It's a 1 step compared to the dealer one for Ultra White. I think it's a 2-stage process. Ultra White then the clear coat.

I had a '14 TL and it was 2 stage to touch up with dealer paint, a real pain.
On my car liquid platinum chip looked worse off when I tried to touch it up, just cleaned out my touchup job and leave it as is, not down to metal so no risk of rusting. I only have 3 rock chips on the entire car, 2 rear fender and one on a door, all are low so not obvious unless you know where to look. For a 100k+ mile car, 3 rock chips I can live with that.
Old 06-25-20, 06:27 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
100% worth it Lexus paint is soft compared to German cars, you will end up with rock chips on the bumper and hood and regret not getting PPF. I recommend Xpel Ultimate, or whatever their latest product is.

Do the full front, the most vulnerable areas are hood, front bumper, and side mirrors. make sure you do full hood otherwise you will have a dirt line if you only do 1/3 hood.

My 2013 had the factory ppf when I bought it 3.5 years ago and zero rock chips. I had it redone with xpel when I changed my front bumper, over 100k miles on the car and zero rock chips on the front end.
The newer XPel PPF won't show that dirt mark depending on the paint. My wife just bought a '20- Mazda3 Hatch in a Polymetal and we had the "regular treatment" done which included 1/3 hood and quarters. It will show a dirt line on a Corvette. It all depends on the paint because, in the case of the Corvette, the XPel has a higher gloss than the factory paint does. Most all the Corvettes that my resource does get the full body panels done for exactly this reason. And the Lexus paint is definitely super soft. It reminds me of my first pair of Oakleys. Stare at it wrong and it scratches.

Last edited by MX5NES350; 06-25-20 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 06:51 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
The newer XPel PPF won't show that dirt mark depending on the paint. My wife just bought a '20- Mazda3 Hatch in a Polymetal and we had the "regular treatment" done which included 1/3 hood and quarters. It will show a dirt line on a Corvette. It all depends on the paint because, in the case of the Corvette, the XPel has a higher gloss than the factory paint does. Most all the Corvettes that my resource does get the full body panels done for exactly this reason. And the Lexus paint is definitely super soft. It reminds me of my first pair of Oakleys. Stare at it wrong and it scratches.

Dirt will collect in the edge of the film especially on a flat surface. Xpel is relatively thick compared to other films and you will see the line across the hood, even when the car is clean. After a couple years it will be even more noticeable.
Old 06-25-20, 07:03 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Xpel on mine for almost 3 years now with no build up on the edges. A little detail spray and a tooth pick is all I use.
Old 06-25-20, 07:08 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
Xpel on mine for almost 3 years now with no build up on the edges. A little detail spray and a tooth pick is all I use.
the point is you can see the edge of the film and will have a line going across your hood whether it’s dirty or clean. I know because when I bought my car it had the ppf on the first few feet of the hood. Easily avoid able by having the full hood wrapped.
Old 06-25-20, 07:13 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Seeing the edge doesn't bother me vs. having no protection at all. Did yours have the Lexus installed 3M on the hood?
Old 06-25-20, 07:19 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
Seeing the edge doesn't bother me vs. having no protection at all. Did yours have the Lexus installed 3M on the hood?
yes it was the factory ppf. I peeled it off and had the whole front end done after changing my bumper to f-sport
Old 06-25-20, 08:01 AM
charley95
Pole Position

I'm trying to build up the courage to DIY on my hood. "The PPF channel" on the Tube has some really good tutorials. A sheet from Xpel is about 300. I specifically want to wrap the edges since my DD is really beat up on the front edge. A hood wrap doesn't appear that difficult since there's no complex curves.

Last edited by charley95; 06-25-20 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 08:58 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As someone that did a partial install (partial hood and fenders, front bumper, headlights, a pillars, door cups) at home. This is not an easy DIY.
The hardest thing is trapped air, water, lint that causes bubbles to form. They're not easily spotted during install unless you have good lighting.
It will cost more than bulk sheet but I'd suggest the precut film.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (07-01-20)
Old 06-25-20, 09:50 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

I have a partial hood film on my white Lexus and I can't see a line where it ends unless I'm 12 inches away. PPF is 10 times more difficult than window tint. Pay a pro, it's guaranteed to be perfect and warrantied.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (07-01-20)
Old 06-25-20, 10:01 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swfla
I have a partial hood film on my white Lexus and I can't see a line where it ends unless I'm 12 inches away. PPF is 10 times more difficult than window tint. Pay a pro, it's guaranteed to be perfect and warrantied.
It's one of those things once you see it you can't unsee it. Also after several years crap gets built up on the edge and you end up with a more noticeable line.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film (PPF) is that worth it?