GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cold Start Tanabe Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 10:57 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Cold Start Tanabe Exhaust

Since there isn't too many videos out there for the Tanabe exhaust. I figured I would contribute. I originally wanted a Fujitsubo exhaust, but they don't make one for our cars. So, I ended up with a Tanabe and I couldn't be any happier. Especially since this isn't meant to be a race car. I wanted something that wasn't going to draw unnecessary attention. Since I have all my windows tinted and have no front plate

No droning around town or on the highway. When you get on it and into the higher RPM's you are greeted with a nice symphony. I look forward to this as it breaks in further. I'll get more footage once it stops raining in the PNW. Car has been sitting for the last 4 days after the tint was applied.

The following 4 users liked this post by Measured:
CAKETOWN (07-03-20), F2D (07-06-20), Im2bz2p345 (07-02-20), Niralsp88 (07-11-20)
Old 07-03-20, 05:42 AM
Niralsp88
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for posting this! Have been searching for an axleback but the existing YouTube vids haven't convinced me on which one to go with yet. Look forward to seeing some more clips from ya!
The following users liked this post:
Measured (07-05-20)
Old 07-03-20, 11:25 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Nice, always great to have more clips.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Measured (07-05-20)
Old 07-04-20, 09:00 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds great, better than the Borla. What does it sound like when you give it some?
Droning is a big issue for me. I dont want to ruin the GS's comfort level by introducing a drone but I want to hear something when im having fun.
Measured (07-05-20)
Old 07-04-20, 08:03 PM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice - thanks for posting the clip.
Measured (07-05-20)
Old 07-05-20, 11:50 AM
Measured
Advanced

Originally Posted by Niralsp88
Thank you for posting this! Have been searching for an axleback but the existing YouTube vids haven't convinced me on which one to go with yet. Look forward to seeing some more clips from ya!
Yeah, audio and footage doesn't give the 100% accurate first person impressions. I am trying my best to replicate what you would hear, but of course listening to any footage on a phone or proper audio system will sound different. It was a struggle to find out what I wanted to get because of this.

The tanabe exhaust on my bro in-laws 2nd gen GS is too loud and droned. Almost made me not go this route.

I am hoping what I'll be posting will help others make that choice a lot easier

Originally Posted by conclevage
Nice - thanks for posting the clip.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Dreamcast
Sounds great, better than the Borla. What does it sound like when you give it some?
Droning is a big issue for me. I dont want to ruin the GS's comfort level by introducing a drone but I want to hear something when im having fun.
I went this route over borla because I think it sounds better. Once the car is warmed up it is pretty quiet, but not to the point you can't hear it. I'll be honest. After I just installed it, I was almost disappointed and thought it was too quiet. Couple hours/days later after getting the carbon build up in the exhaust. It is really, really, really nice IMO.

One of the biggest takeaways from all of this. The car is actually smoother to drive and feels like it has more get up and go. I hated driving around town in Sport mode + because if you aren't on it, the car felt like it would hesitate or was jarring on throttle at lower speeds. Like it didn't know what to do. My wife drove the car last night (she has a MKVII Gti post refresh) and really liked how the car felt more alive.

I'll try to get some more footage today or tomorrow. I finally have some days off and the weather isn't pissing rain.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Measured; 07-05-20 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-05-20, 01:51 PM
val91
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Measured
Yeah, audio and footage doesn't give the 100% accurate first person impressions. I am trying my best to replicate what you would hear, but of course listening to any footage on a phone or proper audio system will sound different. It was a struggle to find out what I wanted to get because of this.

The tanabe exhaust on my bro in-laws 2nd gen GS is too loud and droned. Almost made me not go this route.

I am hoping what I'll be posting will help others make that choice a lot easier

Thank you

I went this route over borla because I think it sounds better. Once the car is warmed up it is pretty quiet, but not to the point you can't hear it. I'll be honest. After I just installed it, I was almost disappointed and thought it was too quiet. Couple hours/days later after getting the carbon build up in the exhaust. It is really, really, really nice IMO.

One of the biggest takeaways from all of this. The car is actually smoother to drive and feels like it has more get up and go. I hated driving around town in Sport mode + because if you aren't on it, the car felt like it would hesitate or was jarring on throttle at lower speeds. Like it didn't know what to do. My wife drove the car last night (she has a MKVII Gti post refresh) and really liked how the car felt more alive.

I'll try to get some more footage today or tomorrow. I finally have some days off and the weather isn't pissing rain.
Just installed Tanabe exhaust recently also. I agree with you the sound is perfect to me for this car. Not loud but not quiet where you can't tell a difference between stock. It is definitely a nice low deep growl that you will hear while driving. There is almost no drone. I listened to a lot of different videos on clublexus and youtube it does give you an idea of how it sounds IRL in my opinion.
Measured (07-05-20)
Old 07-05-20, 07:11 PM
Measured
Advanced

Had a awesome day out in the sun on a long hike. On my way back I asked my wife to just take some quick footage. She said "why didn't we take footage from you driving by..." stay tuned for another one.

Don't mind my wife's leg

Old 07-05-20, 07:29 PM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds great. Definitely a deeper growl without being overpowering.
Old 07-07-20, 10:32 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Niralsp88
@Niralsp88 I recently installed the Tanabe axle-back on my '13 GS, I am located in North NJ if you want to hear it in person
Old 07-07-20, 01:11 PM
4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it just my computer because the vid isn't working for me
Old 07-07-20, 07:21 PM
Niralsp88
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplesh
@Niralsp88 I recently installed the Tanabe axle-back on my '13 GS, I am located in North NJ if you want to hear it in person
That sound's like a plan! PM sent
mrplesh (07-08-20)
Old 07-08-20, 07:31 AM
dTxworld
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

sound of the Tanabe exhaust changes after time. i've had mine 8 months and it sounds different (for the better) now than it did in the beginning. carbon does build up and slightly alters the exhaust note.
Old 07-08-20, 12:55 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dTxworld
sound of the Tanabe exhaust changes after time. i've had mine 8 months and it sounds different (for the better) now than it did in the beginning. carbon does build up and slightly alters the exhaust note.
Over the two weeks I have had mine installed I can tell the exhaust note is getting better with every drive I take. It was great brand new, but still is getting better and sportier sounding!
Old 07-09-20, 11:12 AM
Measured
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4GS
Is it just my computer because the vid isn't working for me
It's on youtube. Did you still have issues viewing it?

Quick Reply: Cold Start Tanabe Exhaust