GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20 | 02:08 PM
Reastman13
Driver School Candidate

Default Rotor Replacement

1st post here. Thank you in advance.

I recently bought a set of r1 Concept Brakes and slotted/drilled rotors for my 2015 gs350 AWD

. I've had great experiences with r1 before on my Audi a4.

I work in sales at a Cadillac dealer and had a guy from a local shop put the rotors and pads on for me. I am now having a metal on metal rubbing on my back passenger side. I am assuming this is just the rotor shield hitting the rotor as it spins. The sound diminishes as I hit the brakes.

I am now wondering if the brakes and rotors do not properly fit my car. There was a black oxide coating applied to the rotors so you are easily able to see where the pads are making contact with my rotors because it is now a shiny silver. But if you look at the photo of the rotors I posted, it almost looks like the pads are not making contact on the rotors in the correct spot. As you can see, the rotor is untouched by the pads closer to the center of the wheel and the contact on the outside of the rotors goes to the very edge.

So I guess my question is...is this normal? Or is it possible that I have incorrect parts? Thank you guys.
Old 07-07-20 | 01:06 PM
4GS
Driver School Candidate

Metal on metal is no good,, especially on brakes. Do you hear it only when the brake is applied? Or any time the wheel is moving. That can rule out the dust shield.

Perhaps the pad wasn't seated properly and/or had some sort of debris on it?
Old 07-18-20 | 12:33 PM
MX73
Racer

Originally Posted by Reastman13
1st post here. Thank you in advance.

I recently bought a set of r1 Concept Brakes and slotted/drilled rotors for my 2015 gs350 AWD

. I've had great experiences with r1 before on my Audi a4.

I work in sales at a Cadillac dealer and had a guy from a local shop put the rotors and pads on for me. I am now having a metal on metal rubbing on my back passenger side. I am assuming this is just the rotor shield hitting the rotor as it spins. The sound diminishes as I hit the brakes.

I am now wondering if the brakes and rotors do not properly fit my car. There was a black oxide coating applied to the rotors so you are easily able to see where the pads are making contact with my rotors because it is now a shiny silver. But if you look at the photo of the rotors I posted, it almost looks like the pads are not making contact on the rotors in the correct spot. As you can see, the rotor is untouched by the pads closer to the center of the wheel and the contact on the outside of the rotors goes to the very edge.

So I guess my question is...is this normal? Or is it possible that I have incorrect parts? Thank you guys.
You are not alone. I noticed this on my 2006 just now after doing the break-in period. I ordered the power stop kit from rockauto. But it looks correct. I have installed pads and rotors a dozen time. Even comparing it to the stock rotors, the contact path is closer to the outside edge. I made sure that the pad has full contact with the rotor which it did. It doesn’t hang outside the rotor. Maybe because they are cross drilled/slotted and have a special coating, it just looks weird.
Old 07-19-20 | 05:42 AM
chinee
Racer

Likely the rotor shield, and that noise would drive me nuts! Wear looks normal. See if you can bend the shield back a bit. BTW... great pics.