GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013-2015 GS vs 2016-2020 GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-21, 11:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Interesting! I know all the general suspension parts/components but getting into more detail and learning more is cool.

Just a question, are those all brand new coils or was one set used and one new? The ones on the left didn't quite look as "new" as the ones on the right at first.
Yes, you are correct; in the photo above, the left pair of coil springs are my old original 2015's, while the right pair are my new 2019-20's.
The old pair are used and a bit dirty, and I didn't bother to clean them prior to taking photos.

Below is my original old 2015 48520-80442 front left shock absorber versus my new 2016-20 48520-80465 front left.
Notice how the first 5-digits of the part number is the same with Toyota Motor Corp versus KYB, while the last 5-digits of TMC and KYB are different.
I wonder if I could have purchased these directly from KYB for a lot less?
I imagine the "L" sticker below denotes left, since my the other side uses an "R" suffix sticker.

Unlike the front coil springs in the post above, the front pair of shock absorbers look pretty much identical in dimension.

The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (06-09-21)
Old 07-11-22, 07:53 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Just look at this picture right here.

2013-2015 F Sport front end is a timeless design.

(I’m biased of course! )
signdetres (12-21-23)
Old 12-21-23, 06:48 PM
jsbach1685
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
As many of us have noted, Sport S+ in particular feels much more aggressive on the 13-15 models than on the refreshed models. We also know that, at least when the 4GS debuted, the Luxury models and F Sport models used different AVS programming, where it was more aggressive on the F Sport. Since moving to the 4.5GS, I have often wondered if, when they did the refresh, they didn't just move all AVS equipped GSs to the Luxury programming.

I wonder if the old 13-15 F Sport programming can be installed on the 16-20 F Sport?
When I originally started looking at 4th Gen GS’s, I wish I would’ve researched here first. I never knew there were
such differences between the 4 gen and 4.5 gen models. I even initially wanted a 2015 F sport, but ended up with a 2018 F sport.
The 4.5’s are too soft and luxurious. In my opinion, Lexus lost the original idea of the GS from 2016 to the final 2020.
greys0uled (12-22-23)
Old 12-21-23, 10:13 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Haha very timely revival of an old but very illuminating thread! Right now I'm looking to replace my 2013 RWD GS 350 F Sport that I lost in an accident several months back so a lot of the info in here was very interesting to me. Much thanks to the original posters for all their information and research.

In the months that I've been looking, I've driven several rear wheel drive 4th gens - all having their strengths and weaknesses. The 2013 F Sports I've driven all feel great to me as I remember and loved my original car. I drove a 2015 F Sport and it was overly firm so I would be looking for a 2013 if I were going pre refresh. The non F Sport 2013's have a smoother ride than the F Sport from the smaller wheels, but lack a little of the edge and good looks the F Sport has.

I have also driven a 2016 and 2017 with very similar F Sport setups and they are sort of a mixed bag for me. I'm ambivalent about the 8 speed transmission. I liked how smooth it was but didn't love the pedal response which is a personal thing as I have a very light right foot. I only got to take a short drive in each so before buying I'd have to take a more complete test drive to see how it wakes up when you kick it in the ***. The strong point on the refresh models is refinement from my experience. Noticeably quieter in the cabin, and the engine was quieter both at idle and during driving. The ride was much creamier and softer in the softer modes, but still woke up nicely in Sport plus. Looks wise I think the front grill of the 2013-2015 is nicer than the larger grill on the newer ones, but it's not a deal breaker for me. The added expense is a bummer with the newer models but it may be worth it.

As I think about it now, I think my ideal would be a 2013 Luxury package RWD. I wouldn't have to worry about the fast-wearing tires and brakes, and I'd still get sport plus mode, upgraded seats and interior, and the ML stereo. May be hard to find though.

The following 2 users liked this post by gs350noob:
greys0uled (12-22-23), signdetres (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 05:01 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

You should've bought the black GS that you posted earlier, that car appeared to be very nice.
Old 12-22-23, 07:03 AM
jsbach1685
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Haha very timely revival of an old but very illuminating thread! Right now I'm looking to replace my 2013 RWD GS 350 F Sport that I lost in an accident several months back so a lot of the info in here was very interesting to me. Much thanks to the original posters for all their information and research.

In the months that I've been looking, I've driven several rear wheel drive 4th gens - all having their strengths and weaknesses. The 2013 F Sports I've driven all feel great to me as I remember and loved my original car. I drove a 2015 F Sport and it was overly firm so I would be looking for a 2013 if I were going pre refresh. The non F Sport 2013's have a smoother ride than the F Sport from the smaller wheels, but lack a little of the edge and good looks the F Sport has.

I have also driven a 2016 and 2017 with very similar F Sport setups and they are sort of a mixed bag for me. I'm ambivalent about the 8 speed transmission. I liked how smooth it was but didn't love the pedal response which is a personal thing as I have a very light right foot. I only got to take a short drive in each so before buying I'd have to take a more complete test drive to see how it wakes up when you kick it in the ***. The strong point on the refresh models is refinement from my experience. Noticeably quieter in the cabin, and the engine was quieter both at idle and during driving. The ride was much creamier and softer in the softer modes, but still woke up nicely in Sport plus. Looks wise I think the front grill of the 2013-2015 is nicer than the larger grill on the newer ones, but it's not a deal breaker for me. The added expense is a bummer with the newer models but it may be worth it.

As I think about it now, I think my ideal would be a 2013 Luxury package RWD. I wouldn't have to worry about the fast-wearing tires and brakes, and I'd still get sport plus mode, upgraded seats and interior, and the ML stereo. May be hard to find though.

If I would do it over again (and I might anyway) I would’ve looked for a late production 2015 GS F-Sport RWD. I think that specific model was the most performance oriented, dare I say “sports sedan” of the entire 4th Gen GS series. Another issue I have with my 2018 F-sport is that it’s an AWD, which makes even less of a performance oriented version. Truth be told, after owning this car for about 3 months now, I’m thinking of trading it in as I still yearn for a true sports sedan—like my old Infiniti G37. Another reason for my epiphany is that my brother recently bought an Alfa Romeo Giulia. That car really makes me miss my G… and then some. The Giulia is literally a true four door sports car and really has me mesmerized. The driving experience is so much fun. My GS feels like a boat by comparison, but yes, we are talking about two totally different types of vehicles here. However, if you want pure luxury, there’s no contest.
The following 2 users liked this post by jsbach1685:
greys0uled (12-22-23), signdetres (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 12:22 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by charley95
You should've bought the black GS that you posted earlier, that car appeared to be very nice.
Yup that car was a great example with the low mileage and spotless condition, but he wants $40K and even if he came to blue book (around $33K) that's more than I want to spend right now. It sounds petty but the black color is sort of a DQ for me as I park the car outside and it annoys me when the car doesn't look good LOL. I'd spend half my life washing the damn thing.

There was a similarly equipped 2016 in the atomic silver (my fave color) that I really liked. 30K miles and totally loaded with excellent interior/exterior condition. Also has some extra goodies like the triple beams, rear steer, and HUD. He wants $32.5K. If it sits for a while I may low ball him and offer $28K and see if he bites. Blue book is around $29K.

I'm in no rush. Not a big deal for me if it takes me a year or more to find the right one. It's not easy here in Hawaii so I need to be patient. I've got a decent car as a placeholder until I find what I want..

PS: I think the moderators should make this a sticky thread - a lot of good info in here for people who are unsure what years and trims have what features

Last edited by gs350noob; 12-22-23 at 12:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gs350noob:
greys0uled (12-22-23), Kira X (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 01:36 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

13 GS350 was the best of them. Faster responsive engine. 6 speed Trans in RWD. I am possibly biased. But I have driven a 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, and 20 too. No year drives like the 13 for some reason. It just hits different.

1ST PLACE: Lexus GS 350 F Sport
Maybe The Ultimate Driving Machine

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/s...luxury-sedans/

Last edited by jgscott; 12-22-23 at 01:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
AJLex19 (12-22-23), gs350noob (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 01:45 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
13 GS350 was the best of them. Faster responsive engine. 6 speed Trans in RWD. I am possibly biased. But I have driven a 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, and 20 too. No year drives like the 13 for some reason. It just hits different.

1ST PLACE: Lexus GS 350 F Sport
Maybe The Ultimate Driving Machine

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/s...luxury-sedans/
Hey just realized you drive the same car I think is my preference (2013 RWD Luxury). How hard was it to find yours? When I look online they seem pretty rare. I see lots of 2013 premiums and f sports but very few luxuries.
Old 12-22-23, 02:47 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

[Original comment retracted]

Seeing this might be a touchy topic between owners. Don't want to spend too much time correcting my misnomers as well.

Like others have stated, all GS years are great. The MY differences have been well documented, It's all about picking the one that suits you the best.

Very grateful for this forum and the knowledge it brings.

Last edited by greys0uled; 12-22-23 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 03:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Hey just realized you drive the same car I think is my preference (2013 RWD Luxury). How hard was it to find yours? When I look online they seem pretty rare. I see lots of 2013 premiums and f sports but very few luxuries.
I bought my GS350 Lux years ago. Almost 7 years ago. It took me about a little more than a month to find it. To me its not about the time it takes, it's about finding exactly what you want. Color, condition, packages, miles, Carfax. You just have to be diligent about looking. I also wanted the Night vision but I just could not find it while also checking all the other boxes, like HUD that I have now too. The other headache was having to sometimes look at the cars in detail too see if it was really a Lux w/HUD by interior feature and wheel pics.

I would rather be patience and wait than settle, but that's just me. The one I have checked 6 of 7 boxes. The night vision just never was the color, miles and other. So I let go when I found one that had everything but. Also be aware as mine is, any Luxury Package car can be Lego converted up to be loaded. The other model are harder to do this with imo.
I just did a quick search. I know you are in a different area tho. These 2 are just like my GS350 Lux, less the HUD. At least they look like what it use to look like.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...4/NONE/DEFAULT

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...5/NONE/DEFAULT

Now

greys0uled (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 05:25 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbach1685
I wonder if the old 13-15 F Sport programming can be installed on the 16-20 F Sport?
When I originally started looking at 4th Gen GS’s, I wish I would’ve researched here first. I never knew there were
such differences between the 4 gen and 4.5 gen models. I even initially wanted a 2015 F sport, but ended up with a 2018 F sport.
The 4.5’s are too soft and luxurious. In my opinion, Lexus lost the original idea of the GS from 2016 to the final 2020.
@jsbach1685 there is some truth to this - i feel like Lexus tried to be "slick" and adjust the sportiness dial down to appeal to a wider range of buyers as sales slipped. In 2016, they introduced the beefiest GS with the GS F, still offered the GS hybrid, then down the line with the GS350 RWD/AWD F Sport, Lux and Premium packages, and then the economical GS200t in premium and F-Sport versions. There were so many variations of the GS during the initial refresh years, its like they were throwing all options out there to see what would stick just hoping to appeal to more potential buyers!

I don't think there was any vehicle in the Lexus lineup in 2016 that had as many configurations, variations, options as the GS.

@gs350noob when I was shopping for my GS, there was a 2013 AWD with the Lux package CPO. Blk/blk fully loaded with all the goodies including mark levinson sound. By the time I got to the dealership on the weekend, the car was sold. They had a white premium pkg GS, along with a silver F-Sport and another Lux pkg that was roughed up a bit.

I ended up buying the white premium pkg equipped GS. A week after, the dealership brought in a lux package '13 that was my car's twin - same exterior/interior! The timing was for me to buy the lux just wasn't there. My better half asked me if I wanted to trade in and get the lux, but I couldn't stand losing 3-4k trading in after just a week of ownership.

I was really shopping for a luxury pkg but I have no regrets. On the pre-refresh, the lux pkg GS does bring the best of both worlds in my opinion: Sporty with the right levels of luxury.
Old 12-22-23, 05:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by greys0uled
Agreed. I've even driven a 17 GS F which counts as a 4.5 and steering was much lighter in Sport+ than my 14. Besides the brutality of the V8, I'd say it was much less aggressive overall in terms of chassis feel compared to my 14 IMO. I would bet a 16 GS F that didn't come with AVS feels more akin to a pre-refresh 4GS. All the AVS shocks that came with 4.5 are just too soft.

Agreed and I would look for one with dual pane windows.

Though the 8 speed may hunt it is a faster transmission than the 6. I've Driven a 13 and Sport+ wasn't as aggressive as 14 and 15. Steering was too light and suspension isn't as firm.

13 also lacks minor features that later model years added - i.e auto cooled/heated seats, auto folding mirrors, rear cross path detection, flush bumper parking sensors (There's some more but don't know them all)

Agreed!
I've been driving different GS's for 8 years now, GS F included. Not including a prior GS460 I owned before that. I think you are confused about a few things.

First the 6speed is a way faster Trans in shift points and other. You may not know this but in fact in a dead start race, the 13 RWD 6 speed changes gears each time long before the 8 speed does and pulls ahead of the 8 speed on the gear changes. Ran the 8 speeds, when my 13 was stock, a few times, even one with a RR Tune.

Next it's springs and struts combo, not just struts that make the suspension firmness. You also can drive 2 like or not like GS's and feel a major difference in just the tires they have on them.

No GS seats are Cooled, it's interior air blown thru not cooled. So auto with climate is a myth. Some vented air yes. This and the few other features have nothing to do with the Performance of the GS. I do realize that most think their year is the best. My personal best GS is the 2020 GS F. Followed by the 3rd GS460. No comparison to the other GS's.

At the end of the day I always say. There is no bad GS.

Last edited by jgscott; 12-22-23 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 07:57 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I've been driving different GS's for 8 years now, GS F included. Not including a prior GS460 I owned before that. I think you are confused about a few things.

First the 6speed is a way faster Trans in shift points and other. You may not know this but in fact in a dead start race, the 13 RWD 6 speed changes gears each time long before the 8 speed does and pulls ahead of the 8 speed on the gear changes. Ran the 8 speeds, when my 13 was stock, a few times, even one with a RR Tune.

Next it's springs and struts combo, not just struts that make the suspension firmness. You also can drive 2 like or not like GS's and feel a major difference in just the tires they have on them.

No GS seats are Cooled, it's interior air blown thru not cooled. So auto with climate is a myth. Some vented air yes. This and the few other features have nothing to do with the Performance of the GS. I do realize that most think their year is the best. My personal best GS is the 2020 GS F. Followed by the 3rd GS460. No comparison to the other GS's.

At the end of the day I always say. There is no bad GS.
Point of clarification - Auto Seat Heat/Ventilation is absolutely connected to the climate control.

The seats have three levels of heat and three fan speeds for ventilation, and there is a temperature sensor in the seat. I have my seats set to auto. In the summer, when the car is hot, the seat fans will come on at max speed to blow the heat out of the seat cushion and blow the rapidly cooling cabin air through the seat. When the seat has cooled, the car will automatically reduce the fan speed. However, if I lower the temperature of the climate control again while driving, the seat fan speed will automatically increase as colder air is blown into the cabin. The cabin temperature lowers, and, accordingly, colder air is blown through the seat at a higher volume. When the temperature of seat lowers, the car will automatically reduce the fan speed. While this is not the same as having cold air routed directly from the condenser to the seat, calling the link between the seat and the climate control a myth is inaccurate.

The inverse is also true - if the car is cold, the seat heaters will come on at max heat automatically, and will then slowly reduce as the seats come up to temperature. However, if I raise the temperature of the climate control, the seat heaters will come back on or switch to a higher setting.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrandSedanFan:
bclexus (12-23-23), JDR76 (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 09:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
Point of clarification - Auto Seat Heat/Ventilation is absolutely connected to the climate control.

The seats have three levels of heat and three fan speeds for ventilation, and there is a temperature sensor in the seat. I have my seats set to auto. In the summer, when the car is hot, the seat fans will come on at max speed to blow the heat out of the seat cushion and blow the rapidly cooling cabin air through the seat. When the seat has cooled, the car will automatically reduce the fan speed. However, if I lower the temperature of the climate control again while driving, the seat fan speed will automatically increase as colder air is blown into the cabin. The cabin temperature lowers, and, accordingly, colder air is blown through the seat at a higher volume. When the temperature of seat lowers, the car will automatically reduce the fan speed. While this is not the same as having cold air routed directly from the condenser to the seat, calling the link between the seat and the climate control a myth is inaccurate.

The inverse is also true - if the car is cold, the seat heaters will come on at max heat automatically, and will then slowly reduce as the seats come up to temperature. However, if I raise the temperature of the climate control, the seat heaters will come back on or switch to a higher setting.
Yes it is connected to climate to turn off/on and fan air speed. It's just only a blower is all. It does Not blow any different cool air than my 13 seat vent fan cooler. FYI - the 13 seat if put on the highest setting it will auto reduce the setting and speed and/or heat if on Heat itself also, but not connected to the Climate control.

Again what I said is - " No GS seats are Cooled, it's interior air blown thru not cooled". As you said above it is if I may quote you - " in Bold. My point is that Climate Control also blows cold air. By that def if Climate Control only blew interior temp fan air the temp of the seat fan, one would get very Hot on 90 degree summer heat. I am quite familiar with the Auto seat functions, as a few members here have actually upgraded their 13 model to the auto air blow function.

Also if you read back the entire topic was based on engine performance, suspension handling, and Transmission differences of the years. I pointed the options out as not anything that would effect performance at all. The 13 GS350 Luxury Package also has options that the F Sport 13 to 20 does not have also and were not even available, but that would not also effect a performance difference.

Quick Reply: 2013-2015 GS vs 2016-2020 GS