GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013-2015 GS vs 2016-2020 GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 09:29 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@jsbach1685 there is some truth to this - i feel like Lexus tried to be "slick" and adjust the sportiness dial down to appeal to a wider range of buyers as sales slipped. In 2016, they introduced the beefiest GS with the GS F, still offered the GS hybrid, then down the line with the GS350 RWD/AWD F Sport, Lux and Premium packages, and then the economical GS200t in premium and F-Sport versions. There were so many variations of the GS during the initial refresh years, its like they were throwing all options out there to see what would stick just hoping to appeal to more potential buyers!

I don't think there was any vehicle in the Lexus lineup in 2016 that had as many configurations, variations, options as the GS.

@gs350noob when I was shopping for my GS, there was a 2013 AWD with the Lux package CPO. Blk/blk fully loaded with all the goodies including mark levinson sound. By the time I got to the dealership on the weekend, the car was sold. They had a white premium pkg GS, along with a silver F-Sport and another Lux pkg that was roughed up a bit.

I ended up buying the white premium pkg equipped GS. A week after, the dealership brought in a lux package '13 that was my car's twin - same exterior/interior! The timing was for me to buy the lux just wasn't there. My better half asked me if I wanted to trade in and get the lux, but I couldn't stand losing 3-4k trading in after just a week of ownership.

I was really shopping for a luxury pkg but I have no regrets. On the pre-refresh, the lux pkg GS does bring the best of both worlds in my opinion: Sporty with the right levels of luxury.
I guess the holy grail would be a GS 450H with the lux package. I believe that is quite the unicorn. Is BC's 450 a luxury model?
Old 12-22-23, 09:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I’ll say it again, having owned pre and post refreshed GSs. There are no bad years of the 4th gen GS. Personally, I wouldn’t go back to a pre-refreshed model, though I sure loved my 15. They’re all so good, though.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
greys0uled (12-22-23), jgscott (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 09:35 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
I bought my GS350 Lux years ago. Almost 7 years ago. It took me about a little more than a month to find it. To me its not about the time it takes, it's about finding exactly what you want. Color, condition, packages, miles, Carfax. You just have to be diligent about looking. I also wanted the Night vision but I just could not find it while also checking all the other boxes, like HUD that I have now too. The other headache was having to sometimes look at the cars in detail too see if it was really a Lux w/HUD by interior feature and wheel pics.

I would rather be patience and wait than settle, but that's just me. The one I have checked 6 of 7 boxes. The night vision just never was the color, miles and other. So I let go when I found one that had everything but. Also be aware as mine is, any Luxury Package car can be Lego converted up to be loaded. The other model are harder to do this with imo.
I just did a quick search. I know you are in a different area tho. These 2 are just like my GS350 Lux, less the HUD. At least they look like what it use to look like.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...4/NONE/DEFAULT

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...5/NONE/DEFAULT

Now
That's a nice looking 2013 there. Looks like you switched to the gunmetal F Sport wheels?
Old 12-22-23, 09:37 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

I bought my GS350 Lux years ago. Almost 7 years ago. It took me about a little more than a month to find it. To me its not about the time it takes, it's about finding exactly what you want. Color, condition, packages, miles, Carfax. You just have to be diligent about looking. I also wanted the Night vision but I just could not find it while also checking all the other boxes, like HUD that I have now too. The other headache was having to sometimes look at the cars in detail too see if it was really a Lux w/HUD by interior feature and wheel pics.

I would rather be patience and wait than settle, but that's just me. The one I have checked 6 of 7 boxes. The night vision just never was the color, miles and other. So I let go when I found one that had everything but. Also be aware as mine is, any Luxury Package car can be Lego converted up to be loaded. The other model are harder to do this with imo.
I just did a quick search. I know you are in a different area tho. These 2 are just like my GS350 Lux, less the HUD. At least they look like what it use to look like.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...4/NONE/DEFAULT

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...5/NONE/DEFAULT

Now
That's a nice looking 2013 there. Looks like you switched to the gunmetal F Sport wheels?
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (12-23-23)
Old 12-23-23, 02:44 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Thanks, they are not GS350 F Sport wheels.

They are kinda of a limited Alloy BBS very light weight, 19x9 and 19x10 staggered wheels. Lexus Factory, only came on only a very few 2016 Lexus RC F's. I did not want to make my 13 look too far away from the Pre-freshed classic look it should have.

Better pic's

Last edited by jgscott; 12-23-23 at 03:02 AM.
gs350noob (12-23-23)
Old 12-23-23, 03:00 AM
Hak24
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrade 2015 Navigation to 2016 Full screen

Originally Posted by tomex77
Same here. I have a 15. The nav split was bothering me. I did a swap to the 16 radio and screen. Now I have full screen nav.
Can u share how you had this switched? I've seen a few people mention this but not share the process or do a post. Also, I've heard that the process can be done for 2015 as the navigation and backup camera was updated vs previous years.
Old 12-24-23, 05:17 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes it is connected to climate to turn off/on and fan air speed. It's just only a blower is all. It does Not blow any different cool air than my 13 seat vent fan cooler. FYI - the 13 seat if put on the highest setting it will auto reduce the setting and speed and/or heat if on Heat itself also, but not connected to the Climate control.

Again what I said is - " No GS seats are Cooled, it's interior air blown thru not cooled". As you said above it is if I may quote you - " in Bold. My point is that Climate Control also blows cold air. By that def if Climate Control only blew interior temp fan air the temp of the seat fan, one would get very Hot on 90 degree summer heat. I am quite familiar with the Auto seat functions, as a few members here have actually upgraded their 13 model to the auto air blow function.

Also if you read back the entire topic was based on engine performance, suspension handling, and Transmission differences of the years. I pointed the options out as not anything that would effect performance at all. The 13 GS350 Luxury Package also has options that the F Sport 13 to 20 does not have also and were not even available, but that would not also effect a performance difference.

Fair enough. This can probably be chalked up to a difference in our definition of "climate control", which I take to mean the computer controlling the HVAC system, not the system itself.

Personally, to improve the effectiveness of the seat ventilation, I select both upper and floor vents, letting the computer handle the fan speed. This causes cold air to be blown directly on the fan intake under the seat, cooling the seat more quickly. If left in full auto, the computer will automatically select upper vents only, as that is the most efficient way to cool the cabin overall. However, I would rather deal with warm air for a few minutes longer than a piping hot seat against my body.

In terms of real performance, I currently have KYB AVS struts on the front of my car and OEM 2018 (softest?) AVS shocks on the rear, paired with RSR Down springs on my AWD, and it is fairly apparent to me that KYB did not benchmark the soft 2018 struts when designing their one-size-fits-all AVS replacement struts. The rears feel noticeably softer across all modes than the front, although much less so in Sport+, which was not my experience of the factory suspension. I actually prefer the stiffness of the KYB fronts and will be either changing to KYB rears or swapping to RSR Basic-I coils (probably retaining the Down rear spring, as the rates are nearly identical and I'm happy with the rear height) at some point in the future.

Does anyone know what year/version of the AVS dampers KYB benchmarked when designing their OE replacements?

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 12-24-23 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-24-23, 06:08 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panyo64
Fair enough. This can probably be chalked up to a difference in our definition of "climate control", which I take to mean the computer controlling the HVAC system, not the system itself.

Personally, to improve the effectiveness of the seat ventilation, I select both upper and floor vents, letting the computer handle the fan speed. This causes cold air to be blown directly on the fan intake under the seat, cooling the seat more quickly. If left in full auto, the computer will automatically select upper vents only, as that is the most efficient way to cool the cabin overall. However, I would rather deal with warm air for a few minutes longer than a piping hot seat against my body.

In terms of real performance, I currently have KYB AVS struts on the front of my car and OEM 2018 (softest?) AVS shocks on the rear, paired with RSR Down springs on my AWD, and it is fairly apparent to me that KYB did not benchmark the soft 2018 struts when designing their one-size-fits-all AVS replacement struts. The rears feel noticeably softer across all modes than the front, although much less so in Sport+, which was not my experience of the factory suspension. I actually prefer the stiffness of the KYB fronts and will be either changing to KYB rears or swapping to RSR Basic-I coils (probably retaining the Down rear spring, as the rates are nearly identical and I'm happy with the rear height) at some point in the future.

Does anyone know what year/version of the AVS dampers KYB benchmarked when designing their OE replacements?
Yes again it is a nice feature to have the Auto functions. In line with the comparison, the Luxury has the 3 Zone Climate with the rear controls for individual Climate Zones. It's a trade off. I would rather have the 3 way I have. I have heard the Amplifier for that system to try a conversion is $10k from Lexus. Much easier to mod the Auto Seat Cooler/Heat in.

Think we posted in the Suspension forum about Reindexing. I installed the KYB also with Swift springs. I agree they are not exactly the same as stock. They are stiffer than my 13 original AVS struts. I kinda wish I had just installed the OEM AVS GS F springs and struts for the drop and handling. Sometimes they are just a little too stiff for just cruising. When AVS is set to Firm there is like zero body roll and they handle very well.

Back to the 13 - 15 vs 16 - 20. I could have no problems living with a 16+. But I still would rather have the 16 Luxury and do the upgrades. Again there is No bad years GS to have. That's the nice thing about the GS. My next GS if..... would be a GS F from Canada. It comes in a Executive package. Has all the F stuff, plus Loaded up with the Luxury package stuff, incl, Winter pack, Electric Shades, 3 way Climate with rear Pass controls, Rear Heated seats. The U.S. got cheap'd out. lol!
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
GrandSedanFan (12-24-23), Hak24 (12-28-23)
Old 12-24-23, 06:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hak24
Can u share how you had this switched? I've seen a few people mention this but not share the process or do a post. Also, I've heard that the process can be done for 2015 as the navigation and backup camera was updated vs previous years.
I bought the 16+ Screen, and ML head unit from tomex77. He had a 15, it got totaled, and he then bought a very nice 2018 GS350. I saw it when I got the 16+ stuff from him. Just FYI - he also mention that his 15 was more peppy and quicker than his new 18. The 15 is plug and play direct connect for with the 16+. 13 & 14 require a Video cable and connector to make it work, but you lose the Camera and have to get a separate one for it to work.

There is a whole thread or 2 on doing the swap here.
Hak24 (12-28-23)
Old 12-24-23, 06:39 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes again it is a nice feature to have the Auto functions. In line with the comparison, the Luxury has the 3 Zone Climate with the rear controls for individual Climate Zones. It's a trade off. I would rather have the 3 way I have. I have heard the Amplifier for that system to try a conversion is $10k from Lexus. Much easier to mod the Auto Seat Cooler/Heat in.

Think we posted in the Suspension forum about Reindexing. I installed the KYB also with Swift springs. I agree they are not exactly the same as stock. They are stiffer than my 13 original AVS struts. I kinda wish I had just installed the OEM AVS GS F springs and struts for the drop and handling. Sometimes they are just a little too stiff for just cruising. When AVS is set to Firm there is like zero body roll and they handle very well.

Back to the 13 - 15 vs 16 - 20. I could have no problems living with a 16+. But I still would rather have the 16 Luxury and do the upgrades. Again there is No bad years GS to have. That's the nice thing about the GS. My next GS if..... would be a GS F from Canada. It comes in a Executive package. Has all the F stuff, plus Loaded up with the Luxury package stuff, incl, Winter pack, Electric Shades, 3 way Climate with rear Pass controls, Rear Heated seats. The U.S. got cheap'd out. lol!
As much as I enjoy my F-Sport, had I had the funds, I would have paid a broker to hunt down an L-Certified 2017 Luxury AWD for me. I really miss having semi-aniline leather, and it's very unfortunate that my wife's Subaru Legacy has heated rear seats and my car doesn't.

If the KYB dampers are stiffer than my 2018, and your 2013, I wonder if they are based on the 2015s. If that's the case, I'll probably go with them when I make my next move.
jgscott (12-24-23)
Old 12-27-23, 08:01 PM
jsbach1685
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

13 GS350 was the best of them. Faster responsive engine. 6 speed Trans in RWD. I am possibly biased. But I have driven a 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, and 20 too. No year drives like the 13 for some reason. It just hits different.

1ST PLACE: Lexus GS 350 F Sport
Maybe The Ultimate Driving Machine

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/s...luxury-sedans/

Great Motor Trend article. I definitely should’ve gone with a 2013-2015 F Sport. My ‘18 is even an AWD, so that makes it even worse. I guess the only way to get as close as possible to pre-facelift f-sport handling (AWD) is to get a set of 13-15 AVS dampers and springs. However, it may be cheaper to just sell my ‘18 and look for a 13-15, or go with a true sports sedan altogether.
Old 12-28-23, 09:05 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,158 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
I guess the holy grail would be a GS 450H with the lux package. I believe that is quite the unicorn. Is BC's 450 a luxury model?
The GS450h with the lux package would be a SUPER rare bird. I don't think BC's is a lux - based on his signature, he has a 2018 - the last year the lux pkg was offered was 2017.
Hak24 (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 09:49 PM
Hak24
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the 16+ Screen, and ML head unit from tomex77. He had a 15, it got totaled, and he then bought a very nice 2018 GS350. I saw it when I got the 16+ stuff from him. Just FYI - he also mention that his 15 was more peppy and quicker than his new 18. The 15 is plug and play direct connect for with the 16+. 13 & 14 require a Video cable and connector to make it work, but you lose the Camera and have to get a separate one for it to work.

There is a whole thread or 2 on doing the swap here.
Thank you!
Old 12-29-23, 12:44 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
The GS450h with the lux package would be a SUPER rare bird. I don't think BC's is a lux - based on his signature, he has a 2018 - the last year the lux pkg was offered was 2017.
Oh gotcha I thought his was a pre 2016. I didn't know the Lux package survived beyond 2015.