GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2016 F Sport / Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20 | 07:32 PM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Default 2016 F Sport / Questions

1) What year did the speedometer go digital?
2) Can WeatherTech floor mats be put on top of the stock mats?
3) I have brand new Michelin Primacy MXM 4 per the L Certified process with recent purchase - good tire?
Old 08-15-20 | 08:45 PM
initial
Intermediate

2. Yes, but I recommend oem Lexus all weather mats instead
Old 08-15-20 | 08:57 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

2016 FSport is when it went digital I think and do not stack mats please, that's just asking for trouble. Just buy a floor liner instead of mats to cover more area and no need to worry about the carpet getting dirty. Either WeatherTech or OEM is good. I have OEM floor liner and only paid $40.
Old 08-16-20 | 01:42 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironman50
1) What year did the speedometer go digital?
2016 is when the "LFA-inspired digital instrumentation" happened on the F Sport. Non F Sports will have a different gauge layout/cluster. I believe it's all digital as well (???) or at least some portion is digital. I would love it if you could choose which layout you wanted - The LFA is fine but I'm a bit old school and like the separate speedometer/tachometer layout.

2) Can WeatherTech floor mats be put on top of the stock mats?
I echo what ItzFilyO said - don't stack them. The all weather are not going to sit as nice with that extra layer in there. I negotiated a set of the Lexus OEM as part of my CPO purchase. Going into the purchase I wanted to know the price so I looked them up on the Lexus site and they were roughly $125. I called my local dealer to confirm that was for all 4 thinking that they had to be more expensive. NOTE: there are two options - the liners and the mats. Luckily they suggested the liners, I didn't know there was a difference, I thought we were talking about the same thing. I'm glad they got me the liners, I think they look and fit better than the mats. I just looked them up the liners and they're $50 or $82 depending on your transmission (RWD vs AWD) and as one person pointed out - they managed to pick them up for $40. The liners do a good job at catching things....I messed up one evening and forgot I picked up a bag of ice on the way home. It sat on the floor of the rear seat for a few hours before the "oh **** moment" hit me. 2/3rds of the ice had melted the liner contained a good majority of it.

I tend to like OEM where it's reasonable and these are nice because they say "Lexus GS" on them. I swap mine out - carpeted mats from around May until October - all weather liners from October to May (our rainy/snowy season). Many folks like the WetherTech so they're not a bad choice.

3) I have brand new Michelin Primacy MXM 4 per the L Certified process with recent purchase - good tire?
I have the Primacy MXM 4 on my CPO - I think they're fine - when it's time to replace them I'll research and see what's good at that point. That said, tires are a very personal thing to an extent. Our Subaru wagon always handled like it had a fat *** - though a couple sets of tires. The last time I went in I did the little tire love quiz thing where you put in how you like to drive, whats important to you (tread life, water channeling, etc...) It recommended a different Michelin and I chatted with the guy and surprisingly the fat *** feel almost went away - I noticed it immediately. (there were no other changes to the car/suspension at the time). The side walls are a little thick if I remember correctly - which may give it a slightly rougher ride but it has 55s or 60s. I think the side wall is tall enough that it doesn't make a big difference (that I've noticed). On the F Sport I'm sure that model of tire would impact the ride quite a bit.

On my Infiniti one of my favorite sets of tires were a directional tire by Yokohama. They were super expensive tires but they gave them to me at a crazy discount because they had ordered them in and then the person decided they wanted something else. I didn't really understand the difference at the time. I loved those Yokos........until .......I moved to Oregon. Those tires were super sticky - they grabbed wonderfully when cornering. In Oregon however, they allow studded tires for about 5 months and half the city puts them on I swear. The studs do a great job at creating ruts in the pavement on the highways and those Yokos would grab the rut at times and pull the steering. I was used to it but I always warned anyone visiting who drove my car not to freak out if they felt the front end pull. I don't think it was the Yokos specificially - I think any directional tire would have grabbed the same way.

If I didn't live here I would likely get directional tires again because of how they grab the road, even though I always had to be on top of the tire folks in terms of the rotation (you don't cross directionals - you just swap front to back) I always mark my wheels so I know exactly which is which. One time they only rotated one side, another time they crossed them when they shouldn't have. The time they only did one side the manager argued with me so I pulled out my tread depth gauge and asked him to explain to why the matching tread depths were diagonal from one another. He then tried to claim I had something wrong with my suspension at which point I showed him my marks on the wheels and explained wheels 1 and 3 should be on one axle and 2 and 4 should be on the other. Believe it or not he still tried to claim they did it but agreed to move the side they forgot.

So....I'd say unless you really have money burning a hole in your pocket or there's something you hate about them, keep the Michelins for now and do your research when the time comes. Tire models are always changing and sometimes one generation won't be as good as the last.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 08-16-20 at 01:49 AM.