GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

20k max budget for a GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 02:21 PM
teigen
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2 cents

I was in the same position as you a couple months ago, wanted ‘14+ GS with under 75,000 miles and under $20k. First, be willing to travel. Second thing was to get priorities set, mine were as follows:
- Price -Maintenance records -One owner -Mileage -Options (specifically seat extender, I’m tall & it’s a necessity).

Everything else like exterior or interior color, year, options like ML or BSM, had to be negotiable. Due to my need for seat extender, this only allowed me to buy an FSport or Luxury Package. After a few months of searching, thought I found my car...’14 FSport, 1 owner, 69k, Gray with Merlot interior, $17,600, and at a Toyota dealership. Talked with sales guy, was arranging to test drive the next day....when they told me a buyer from NC put $5000 down via credit card over the phone & was flying in (WI) to drive it home the next day. Disappointing moment.

Kept searching. A month later the car I ended up buying showed in my searches. ‘13 Luxury package with ALL options except Lane keep assist & night vision (neither I would have wanted). 66,000 miles, 1owner, dealership did all maintenance, and Deep Sea Mica blue with Black interior, for sale at the Lexus dealer that originally sold it. I had to drive to Iowa to get it, and did not wait as they had it priced well, still managed to haggle it down ;-)

As far as the options go; I love BSM - never had it before, its a plus in my book. ML - had a base system in my 07 ES350, the ML is far superior In that comparison. However agree with others that with some upgrades/replacements to the base system, you’ll be just as happy. The bonus about buying a Luxury package is they are usually loaded, and are a bit rarer. I also have come to prefer the Lux rims over the others. I have zero regrets, love this car more every day.

In conclusion; set priorities, be willing to travel, and be patient.
Old 08-21-20, 02:25 PM
Moustafa
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by teigen
My 2 cents

I was in the same position as you a couple months ago, wanted ‘14+ GS with under 75,000 miles and under $20k. First, be willing to travel. Second thing was to get priorities set, mine were as follows:
- Price -Maintenance records -One owner -Mileage -Options (specifically seat extender, I’m tall & it’s a necessity).

Everything else like exterior or interior color, year, options like ML or BSM, had to be negotiable. Due to my need for seat extender, this only allowed me to buy an FSport or Luxury Package. After a few months of searching, thought I found my car...’14 FSport, 1 owner, 69k, Gray with Merlot interior, $17,600, and at a Toyota dealership. Talked with sales guy, was arranging to test drive the next day....when they told me a buyer from NC put $5000 down via credit card over the phone & was flying in (WI) to drive it home the next day. Disappointing moment.

Kept searching. A month later the car I ended up buying showed in my searches. ‘13 Luxury package with ALL options except Lane keep assist & night vision (neither I would have wanted). 66,000 miles, 1owner, dealership did all maintenance, and Deep Sea Mica blue with Black interior, for sale at the Lexus dealer that originally sold it. I had to drive to Iowa to get it, and did not wait as they had it priced well, still managed to haggle it down ;-)

As far as the options go; I love BSM - never had it before, its a plus in my book. ML - had a base system in my 07 ES350, the ML is far superior In that comparison. However agree with others that with some upgrades/replacements to the base system, you’ll be just as happy. The bonus about buying a Luxury package is they are usually loaded, and are a bit rarer. I also have come to prefer the Lux rims over the others. I have zero regrets, love this car more every day.

In conclusion; set priorities, be willing to travel, and be patient.
thanks alot for your detailed response!

so if you were in my place (I have been searching for 2 weeks now); would you jump on the 2013 45k miles gs 350 f sport package with nothing else for 18k or your opinion would be patient since I dont need a car until Dec or Jan 2021? Perhaps prices will drop as 2021 approaches and dealerships start offering deals on new vehicles?

i am willing to travel up to 1000 miles so all my searches are within that range!
Old 08-21-20, 02:39 PM
teigen
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Moustafa
thanks alot for your detailed response!

so if you were in my place (I have been searching for 2 weeks now); would you jump on the 2013 45k miles gs 350 f sport package with nothing else for 18k or your opinion would be patient since I dont need a car until Dec or Jan 2021? Perhaps prices will drop as 2021 approaches and dealerships start offering deals on new vehicles?

i am willing to travel up to 1000 miles so all my searches are within that range!
I can not and would tell you what to do.

I can agree that a ‘13 FSport with 45,000 miles for $18k “seems” like a great deal. How many owners, maintenance records, carfax? These pieces need to be taken into account. Also, you need to test drive a car you buy. I’ve driven low mileage GS’s that were obviously driven hard their whole life, and it showed. It may sound odd, but if all my other criteria is met (maintenance records, etc) I go more by gut feeling/intuition when test driving & seeing the car in person. That’s just me.

Also, you have time and have only been searching for 2 weeks. Take your time and test drive all possibilities.
Old 08-21-20, 02:41 PM
Moustafa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by teigen
I can not and would tell you what to do.

I can agree that a ‘13 FSport with 45,000 miles for $18k “seems” like a great deal. How many owners, maintenance records, carfax? These pieces need to be taken into account. Also, you need to test drive a car you buy. I’ve driven low mileage GS’s that were obviously driven hard theIr whole life, and it showed. It may sound odd, but if all my other criteria is met (maintenance records, etc) I go more by gut feeling/intuition when test driving & seeing the car in person. That’s just me.

Also, you have time and have only been searching for 2 weeks. Take your time and test drive all possibilities.
carfax is clean and I actually saw the maintenance records on lexus website (you can create an account enter the VIN). A few minor repairs like wind shield wipers, squeeking in brakes, one tire replacement. Looks like a lady driver maybe lol. I am test driving it on Sunday.

For some reason I am always rushed and feel like I dont pull the trigger on this “unicorn” deal I will regret it forever. Maybe Im just paranoid but I think I need to take my time and never assume a deal will never occur again especially in the span of the next 4 months.
The following users liked this post:
zimdba (08-28-20)
Old 08-26-20, 06:18 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

carfax is clean and I actually saw the maintenance records on lexus website (you can create an account enter the VIN). A few minor repairs like wind shield wipers, squeeking in brakes, one tire replacement. Looks like a lady driver maybe lol. I am test driving it on Sunday.

For some reason I am always rushed and feel like I dont pull the trigger on this “unicorn” deal I will regret it forever. Maybe Im just paranoid but I think I need to take my time and never assume a deal will never occur again especially in the span of the next 4 months.
I would have picked that one also. Trying to drive it on the freeway and local streets as well. Should be 20-30mins at least. From what you posted, it's looks pretty good choice.
Old 08-26-20, 06:19 PM
Moustafa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by websurfer
I would have picked that one also. Trying to drive it on the freeway and local streets as well. Should be 20-30mins at least. From what you posted, it's looks pretty good choice.
saw it person. Body is pretty banged up with several scratches. Didnt feel like it was taken care off including the rims so I skipped and decided to just keep looking!
The following 2 users liked this post by Moustafa:
Im2bz2p345 (08-26-20), websurfer (08-26-20)
Old 08-26-20, 09:37 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

saw it person. Body is pretty banged up with several scratches. Didnt feel like it was taken care off including the rims so I skipped and decided to just keep looking!
Too good to be true. Made the right decision to skip it.
Old 08-26-20, 09:42 PM
Moustafa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by websurfer
Too good to be true. Made the right decision to skip it.
yeah, patiently waiting for 2013 fsport with ML to pop up within 1500 miles haha. Hopefully under 20k when prices settle end of year!
Old 08-27-20, 05:50 AM
RTurner711
Rookie

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

Something else to consider, the 2013 to 2015 GS 350 models (especially the F-Sport) are considered to be the best driving gen cars. Even better than the current gen models but it doesn't mean you can't find one for right at $20,000. I paid $21,000 for a 2015 Riviera Red F-Sport with 49,000 miles that was in excellent condition. Got $9,000 knockoff for my trade in (2011 ES 350 that was also in great condition, 83,000 miles) so I ended up paying a little over $12,000. Just keep looking, especially at the Lexus dealerships because they are really looking to unload these cars and will probably work with you to get the price you want.
Old 08-27-20, 05:58 AM
Moustafa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RTurner711
Something else to consider, the 2013 to 2015 GS 350 models (especially the F-Sport) are considered to be the best driving gen cars. Even better than the current gen models but it doesn't mean you can't find one for right at $20,000. I paid $21,000 for a 2015 Riviera Red F-Sport with 49,000 miles that was in excellent condition. Got $9,000 knockoff for my trade in (2011 ES 350 that was also in great condition, 83,000 miles) so I ended up paying a little over $12,000. Just keep looking, especially at the Lexus dealerships because they are really looking to unload these cars and will probably work with you to get the price you want.
i hope so man! For the right car I am willing to go over budget.

May I ask what packages are on your GS? Also location and when was this? Just looking to have as many reference data points to compare to!
Old 08-27-20, 06:35 AM
RTurner711
Rookie

i hope so man! For the right car I am willing to go over budget.

May I ask what packages are on your GS? Also location and when was this? Just looking to have as many reference data points to compare to!
I have the GS Premium Package equipment) + Drive Mode Select adds Sport S+ mode // 19-inch split-five-spoke alloy wheels7 with Dark Graphite finish // F SPORT–tuned Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) // Variable Gear-Ratio Steering (VGRS) (RWD only) // 14.0-in, two-piece front-brake rotors with monoblock four-piston calipers (RWD only) // 16-way F SPORT driver’s seat // Striated Aluminum interior trim // Black headliner // F SPORT exterior styling including unique front bumper, upper and lower grille inserts, rear valance and rear spoiler.

I purchase my car last December from Lexus of Birmingham.
Old 08-27-20, 08:46 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by davyboygs
Inventory is way down and prices are way up at this time, I would hold off until the end of 2020 or early 2021. I was at a Lexus dealer this past Saturday, their inventory was only about 1/3 of their normal level. There was only 1 GS on the lot, the staff at the dealer advised me not to consider attempting to buy a car at this time.
Wow a dealer telling you to not buy a car is when you really know you should not buy a car lol
Old 08-27-20, 09:03 AM
RTurner711
Rookie

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Wow a dealer telling you to not buy a car is when you really know you should not buy a car lol
Since Lexus announced they are discontinuing the GS series I guarantee it will be hard to find good deals especially for the Gen 4 cars. Personally, I don't like the Gen 5 models but that's just me. I agree with the dealer if you are wanting to buy a Gen 5 model definitely wait but if you can find a Gen 4 model you better jump on it if you can get a good deal.
Old 08-27-20, 01:08 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RTurner711
Since Lexus announced they are discontinuing the GS series I guarantee it will be hard to find good deals especially for the Gen 4 cars. Personally, I don't like the Gen 5 models but that's just me. I agree with the dealer if you are wanting to buy a Gen 5 model definitely wait but if you can find a Gen 4 model you better jump on it if you can get a good deal.
There is a 5th gen GS???????
Old 08-27-20, 02:10 PM
RTurner711
Rookie

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
There is a 5th gen GS???????
I call the 2016-2020 models the 5th gen since they made modifications to the previous model. But I guess technically it is only 4 gens...lol.

Quick Reply: 20k max budget for a GS 350