GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

20k max budget for a GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20 | 03:28 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RTurner711
I call the 2016-2020 models the 5th gen since they made modifications to the previous model. But I guess technically it is only 4 gens...lol.
Oh lol yeah that's more like Gen 4.5
Old 09-07-20 | 10:15 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by teigen
My 2 cents

I was in the same position as you a couple months ago, wanted ‘14+ GS with under 75,000 miles and under $20k. First, be willing to travel. Second thing was to get priorities set, mine were as follows:
- Price -Maintenance records -One owner -Mileage -Options (specifically seat extender, I’m tall & it’s a necessity).

Everything else like exterior or interior color, year, options like ML or BSM, had to be negotiable. Due to my need for seat extender, this only allowed me to buy an FSport or Luxury Package. After a few months of searching, thought I found my car...’14 FSport, 1 owner, 69k, Gray with Merlot interior, $17,600, and at a Toyota dealership. Talked with sales guy, was arranging to test drive the next day....when they told me a buyer from NC put $5000 down via credit card over the phone & was flying in (WI) to drive it home the next day. Disappointing moment.

Kept searching. A month later the car I ended up buying showed in my searches. ‘13 Luxury package with ALL options except Lane keep assist & night vision (neither I would have wanted). 66,000 miles, 1owner, dealership did all maintenance, and Deep Sea Mica blue with Black interior, for sale at the Lexus dealer that originally sold it. I had to drive to Iowa to get it, and did not wait as they had it priced well, still managed to haggle it down ;-)

As far as the options go; I love BSM - never had it before, its a plus in my book. ML - had a base system in my 07 ES350, the ML is far superior In that comparison. However agree with others that with some upgrades/replacements to the base system, you’ll be just as happy. The bonus about buying a Luxury package is they are usually loaded, and are a bit rarer. I also have come to prefer the Lux rims over the others. I have zero regrets, love this car more every day.

In conclusion; set priorities, be willing to travel, and be patient.
BSM is extremely convenient. Only thing I'm missing is the LSS package. Hence the reason I want to upgrade to 2017 but as said repeatedly, they are all over priced right now.

Perhaps a lease may be a good option now..
Old 09-07-20 | 10:25 PM
Moustafa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MGs350
BSM is extremely convenient. Only thing I'm missing is the LSS package. Hence the reason I want to upgrade to 2017 but as said repeatedly, they are all over priced right now.

Perhaps a lease may be a good option now..
im actually also looking at 2016-2017 for under 27k too. So two options, either a 2013-2014 for under 20k or a 2016-2017 for under 27k. Everything seems overpriced now so trying to be patient.
Old 09-07-20 | 10:48 PM
websurfer
Racer

Pretty much all used car prices are inflated at the moment given the demand on used vehicles. My other friend traded in his Acura SUV lease vehicle over the weekend and got an awesome trade-in price at the 2nd dealer. It's not for a GS though. Carvana and Vroom has been overpaying to get inventory including for his SUV. One dealer was trying to low ball the trade-in so he went elsewhere and they beat the Caravan price and Vroom for his trade. Either way, the dealer can retail that vehicle at a higher price than before also.

I went to the Lexus dealer last week for something and we saw the new car inventory was way less than normal and the dealer has been back-filling the spaces with used vehicles instead.

I suspect some people are buying used vehicles instead of new ones given it's still cheaper than new vehicles and CPO has a great warranty also. The new vehicles aren't been discounted that much lately due to low inventory from manufacturer closures. I heard some buyers were only Lyft and Uber riders that all of sudden wants a car now also.

Last edited by websurfer; 09-07-20 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-20-20 | 02:53 PM
carlISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Moustafa
saw it person. Body is pretty banged up with several scratches. Didnt feel like it was taken care off including the rims so I skipped and decided to just keep looking!
Hey im looking at the same one in Jersey. How did it go? Any additional thoughts on the seller? How was the test drive? Not too worried about the scratches unless its egregious.
Old 09-20-20 | 04:02 PM
Moustafa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carlISF
Hey im looking at the same one in Jersey. How did it go? Any additional thoughts on the seller? How was the test drive? Not too worried about the scratches unless its egregious.
i know its been on the market for several months. He owes 19k on it and seems very firm on the price. Didnt drive it, just chatted with him through text and saw detailed pics of the scratches. Seems like a nice guy but stubborn?

Let me know how it goes! I decided to go for a 2016 so I raised my budget just waiting for used car prices to settle.

friend saw it in person not me.

Last edited by Moustafa; 09-20-20 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-20-20 | 09:14 PM
carlISF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Moustafa
i know its been on the market for several months. He owes 19k on it and seems very firm on the price. Didnt drive it, just chatted with him through text and saw detailed pics of the scratches. Seems like a nice guy but stubborn?

Let me know how it goes! I decided to go for a 2016 so I raised my budget just waiting for used car prices to settle.

friend saw it in person not me.
appreciate the feedback.