GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Maintainence cost for brakes and rotors on 4GS RWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20 | 11:54 AM
websurfer
Racer

Default Maintainence cost for brakes and rotors on 4GS RWD

There were a number of side discussions on the maintenance cost for the 4th gen GS 350 F Sport RWD.

I thought I make a new thread to better understand the cost of rotors and brakes.

How often they usually require these services and what's the cost like?

Local mechanic vs Dealer cost?

The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (10-05-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 12:16 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Depends on how much you drive per year. Most people overly exaggerate the cost of brakes on F Sport RWD. Worst case, say you daily drive your GS 30K /year. You'll probably need new front pads annually ($100/set) or maybe bi-annually if you're heavy on the brakes. Any local mechanic should be able to swap them for you under 1hr labor. They're super easy to change. Watch some YT videos you'll learn to do yourself to save a few $$$. You probably need new rotors every couple years, that runs about ($500 front rotors & pads). Again super easy job to change front rotors. Under 1 hr for most decent mechanics. Rears I wouldn't even worry about for many many years. I would advise you to avoid dealer for brake service, unless you like to be taken advantage of. This car is super easy to maintain. Any decent mechanic that knows Japanese imports can do most things. I only use dealer for warranty work and oil changes.

Last edited by jdpdata; 08-27-20 at 12:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
MOB561 (10-05-20), websurfer (08-27-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 12:19 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Depends on how much you drive per year. Most people overly exaggerate the cost of brakes on F Sport RWD. Worst case, say you daily drive your GS 30K /year. You'll probably need new front pads annually ($100/set) or maybe bi-annually if you're heavy on the brakes. Any local mechanic should be able to swap them for you under 1hr labor. They're super easy to change. Watch some YT videos you'll learn to do yourself to save a few $$$. You probably need new rotors every couple years, that runs about ($500 front rotors & pads). Again super easy job to change front rotors. Under 1 hr for most decent mechanics. Rears I wouldn't even worry about for many many years. I would advise you to avoid dealer for brake service, unless you like to be taken advantage of. This car is super easy to maintain. Any decent mechanic that knows Japanese import can do most things. I only use dealer for warranty work and oil changes.
whew, it doesn't sound that bad. Somehow I saw over $2500 in 1 post in another forum for brakes and rotors so I was shocked how they arrived with that number.
MOB561 (10-05-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 12:24 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

They probably went to dealer and got raped. My only other recommendation is stick with OEM rotors and pads especially if you own F Sport RWD. Don't even think about going with aftermarket brakes, the squealing will drive you insane. You can find OEM rotors and pads on eBay stores run by many local dealers.
MOB561 (10-05-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 12:27 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

It's not necessary to change the rotor every time you change your pads. People waste a lot of money doing this.

On my 2013 450h with 104k miles the front pads were changed 2 times, front rotor I changed once(not necessary but starting to rust), rear pads changed once. As long as the rotor is within spec and not warped your wasting money changing it, I ran original front rotors on my last car till 150k miles, and never changed the rears, was not necessary.

Your front brakes do most of the braking. The rate at which your pads wear out depends on how you drive, not set mileage for these things.

It helps having a 450h since the hybrid system does some of the braking to recharge the battery.

Last edited by peasodos; 08-27-20 at 12:30 PM.
MOB561 (10-05-20)
Old 08-27-20 | 12:45 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by peasodos
It's not necessary to change the rotor every time you change your pads. People waste a lot of money doing this.

On my 2013 450h with 104k miles the front pads were changed 2 times, front rotor I changed once(not necessary but starting to rust), rear pads changed once. As long as the rotor is within spec and not warped your wasting money changing it, I ran original front rotors on my last car till 150k miles, and never changed the rears, was not necessary.

Your front brakes do most of the braking. The rate at which your pads wear out depends on how you drive, not set mileage for these things.

It helps having a 450h since the hybrid system does some of the braking to recharge the battery.
For hybrid, I assume brake wear is less given it will probably do regen first. Right?
Old 08-27-20 | 12:51 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Hybrid vs RWD are two different animals. You can't compare them. Brake wear is way less with on hybrids. Heck our MDX hybrid is approaching 30K, the brakes are virtually brand new with very minimal wear.
Old 08-27-20 | 01:10 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by websurfer
whew, it doesn't sound that bad. Somehow I saw over $2500 in 1 post in another forum for brakes and rotors so I was shocked how they arrived with that number.
They probably got raped at the dealer. I don't ever go to dealer for anything other than recall work.