GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New 2016 GS350 F Sport AWD owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 11:11 PM
cammyfive
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New 2016 GS350 F Sport AWD owner

Hello, all! After a bit of research and browsing every used car website out there for a month or so I decided to pull the trigger on a 2016 GS350 AWD F Sport with just under 39K miles. This will be my first Lexus as I've recently owned (leased) a BMW 3 series, Cadillac ATS, and owned a variety of Hondas and Acuras over the last 25 years or so. I'm actually selling my recently purchased 2020 Honda Civic Si which is a spectacular car for the price, but it's more of a young mans car and a bit too uncomfortable on longer road trips for me now; 20 years ago the Si would have been the PERFECT car for me, now I'm a bit over that.

The low mileage and the fact that it had the Mark Levinson sound system and up level seat adjustments are what won me over. I actually test drove a new GS in 2019 and loved it, but decided against a $50K purchase outright at that time. I'm paying right around $30K for the car I've described above. My *plan* is to keep this as my daily driver for a total of 100-150K miles and possibly even more if I fall in love with it. If all goes according to plan, I am looking to buy an additional car "just for fun" this upcoming Spring/Summer although I haven't really narrowed down what I want in that genre.

I added the VIN number to the Lexus owners site and am reassured that the car has been serviced exactly according to schedule every 5K miles by the book and had some GPS location campaign update done to it around 6 months ago or so. It is a 1 owner car prior to me and the original inservice date was December 2016 so it has around 3 months/11K miles of original bumper to bumper warranty left. I'm entertaining the idea of the Lexus Platinum VSA for a total of 8 yrs/100K miles and I'll need to decide on that before December obviously. I know these cars are pretty rock solid but depending on the price of that VSA, it might be worth it to me.

My questions are this:

1) I was actually looking for a RWD F Sport originally but the mileage/color/price on this AWD F Sport was too good for me to pass up. Is the AWD system split a certain way - 50/50 front to rear or 30/70 front to rear or something - or is it RWD entirely until slippage is sensed and then a portion of power is sent to the front?

2) With this car having the F Sport package and ML Sound I assumed it is pretty fully loaded, but is there some way to get a hold of the original window sticker or at least see the exact packages/options it has and the cost of those new in 2016? I pick the car up on the 9th and the only thing I'm not sure if it has or not is the Heads Up Display; it does not have the passenger seat memory features.

3) I will need to replace the tires on this car probably Spring of 2021 and with it being AWD and a square set up, I'm not having a lot of luck finding my favorite all-season tire - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ - in the OEM size. I see the PS4S in this size and I might run those half the year during the hot temps but I'd like the all-season Michelin for the early part of the year.

Any other advice for taking loving care of this and/or things to be aware of?

*Attaching picture of the car for attention.

Old 09-01-20, 01:04 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Congrats on the new to you F Sport! Your deal sounds very similar to what I purchased in February - 2016 F Sport AWD with 37K. I was looking for an AWD at the time and had entertained a RWD.

Originally Posted by cammyfive
My questions are this:

1) I was actually looking for a RWD F Sport originally but the mileage/color/price on this AWD F Sport was too good for me to pass up. Is the AWD system split a certain way - 50/50 front to rear or 30/70 front to rear or something - or is it RWD entirely until slippage is sensed and then a portion of power is sent to the front?
From my understanding it's 70 rear / 30 front but will adjust to 50/50 based on traction. Personally I think the AWD drives very nice in terms of how the power distribution feels. I drove both RWD and AWD while I was looking and personally I liked the 6 speed transmission over the 8 - to me it just felt like it had a little better power without the hard push of the accelerator to the detent switch. Actually the first couple RWD I drove I didn't even realize the detent was there because I was afraid to really stomp on the gas pedal that hard with the dealer in the car.

2) With this car having the F Sport package and ML Sound I assumed it is pretty fully loaded, but is there some way to get a hold of the original window sticker or at least see the exact packages/options it has and the cost of those new in 2016? I pick the car up on the 9th and the only thing I'm not sure if it has or not is the Heads Up Display; it does not have the passenger seat memory features.
The dealer can pull up the original window sticker or if you put the VIN in (which I think you said you did) you should be able to see everything it has on it. When you log in and see your vehicle click on the "View Specs" and under Port or Factory Installed Equipment you should see everything. I could not get the "Download Full Specs" button to work but they should still be viewable on the screen.

You can also read this thread (sticky at the top of the forum) in terms of how to identify the options. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html It has some info on the cost of the options.

For HUD there should be two things - there will be an HUD button somewhere on dash (probably to the left of the steering wheel not far from the ODO button), and, if I remember correctly, you should see an area on the top of the dash where the projector is. I don't remember it being super noticable until I looked for it but I think I only saw it on two cars I test drove. If you have it you'll likely need to adjust it or your height or you won't see it or you'll only see part of it. I know when I was looking the HUD was one of the rarest options I was seeing at the time.

Passenger seat memory is only on the LUX model which has different wheels and some other features not available on an F Sport.

If you haven't already found it - you can view the 2016 Brochure here: https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...d-Brochure.pdf This will show you the packages and the options. There were only 6 individual options.

3) I will need to replace the tires on this car probably Spring of 2021 and with it being AWD and a square set up, I'm not having a lot of luck finding my favorite all-season tire - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ - in the OEM size. I see the PS4S in this size and I might run those half the year during the hot temps but I'd like the all-season Michelin for the early part of the year.
There's a lot of info on tires if you read through threads. I'm wondering if that tire been replaced with the next gen version of it??

Any other advice for taking loving care of this and/or things to be aware of?
I'd say read the sticky at the top of the forum on the "favorite found feature" There will be all kinds of little things you never knew you had.

Also lots of good info over in the Special Interest Forums on the care and detailing - of course for every opinion you'll find 12 others

INRE to the warranty - I negotiated mine in the overall deal and I forget what it came out to exactly - I think I did 3 on top of the two from the CPO and I had 2 months of the original so in the end it was something like 5 years 2 months from my date of purchase. Some folks will tell you it's a waste - these cars are so well built you're unlikely to see any issues. For me it's like insurance - I really don't want to know what replacing one of the mirrors cost should the thing decide to stop folding in or moving into position during reverse, etc... It was peace of mind and that peace of mind was worth what I paid.

Oh...and make sure you know about service/snow mode on the wipers...you'll need that one day to replace the blades .
The following users liked this post:
cammyfive (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 08:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Congrats on your purchase!

I agree with pretty much everything LexusGSboy said. He did a good job of answering your questions.
cammyfive (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 09:08 AM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on the new whip! I ran into the same issue trying to find Michelin A/S 3+ tires in the OEM size so I ended up going with 245/40ZR19 tires (assuming you have 19 inch wheels) and they run just fine with the stock suspension. No issues at all.

Last edited by conclevage; 09-01-20 at 09:16 AM. Reason: added more information
cammyfive (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 11:47 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Congrats on your new ride.
cammyfive (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 02:28 PM
cammyfive
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
Congrats on the new to you F Sport! Your deal sounds very similar to what I purchased in February - 2016 F Sport AWD with 37K. I was looking for an AWD at the time and had entertained a RWD.

From my understanding it's 70 rear / 30 front but will adjust to 50/50 based on traction. Personally I think the AWD drives very nice in terms of how the power distribution feels. I drove both RWD and AWD while I was looking and personally I liked the 6 speed transmission over the 8 - to me it just felt like it had a little better power without the hard push of the accelerator to the detent switch. Actually the first couple RWD I drove I didn't even realize the detent was there because I was afraid to really stomp on the gas pedal that hard with the dealer in the car.

The dealer can pull up the original window sticker or if you put the VIN in (which I think you said you did) you should be able to see everything it has on it. When you log in and see your vehicle click on the "View Specs" and under Port or Factory Installed Equipment you should see everything. I could not get the "Download Full Specs" button to work but they should still be viewable on the screen.

You can also read this thread (sticky at the top of the forum) in terms of how to identify the options. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html It has some info on the cost of the options.

For HUD there should be two things - there will be an HUD button somewhere on dash (probably to the left of the steering wheel not far from the ODO button), and, if I remember correctly, you should see an area on the top of the dash where the projector is. I don't remember it being super noticable until I looked for it but I think I only saw it on two cars I test drove. If you have it you'll likely need to adjust it or your height or you won't see it or you'll only see part of it. I know when I was looking the HUD was one of the rarest options I was seeing at the time.

Passenger seat memory is only on the LUX model which has different wheels and some other features not available on an F Sport.

If you haven't already found it - you can view the 2016 Brochure here: https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...d-Brochure.pdf This will show you the packages and the options. There were only 6 individual options.

There's a lot of info on tires if you read through threads. I'm wondering if that tire been replaced with the next gen version of it??

I'd say read the sticky at the top of the forum on the "favorite found feature" There will be all kinds of little things you never knew you had.

Also lots of good info over in the Special Interest Forums on the care and detailing - of course for every opinion you'll find 12 others

INRE to the warranty - I negotiated mine in the overall deal and I forget what it came out to exactly - I think I did 3 on top of the two from the CPO and I had 2 months of the original so in the end it was something like 5 years 2 months from my date of purchase. Some folks will tell you it's a waste - these cars are so well built you're unlikely to see any issues. For me it's like insurance - I really don't want to know what replacing one of the mirrors cost should the thing decide to stop folding in or moving into position during reverse, etc... It was peace of mind and that peace of mind was worth what I paid.

Oh...and make sure you know about service/snow mode on the wipers...you'll need that one day to replace the blades .
Thanks for the very thorough reply!

These are the packages/options that my car has according to the Owners Portal:

*F Sport Pkg
*Lexus Safety System Plus Pkg
*Navigation with 12.3" Display
*Mark Levinson Audio
*Intuitive Park Assist
*F Sport Heated Leather Steering Wheel

According to the 2016 brochure these are the options it lacks:

*Cold Weather Pkg
*Color Heads Up Display
*Power Open/Close Trunk

I have to say the only thing I really wish it had was the power trunk that I see even on lesser equipped cars. Interesting.

Your Atomic Silver or Nebular Grey were my preferred colors but the white is nice too, I wish the F Sport White was the same Pearl White as the luxury models though.
Old 09-01-20, 04:44 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@cammyfive Congrats! Looks great and like it was well taken care of by the previous owner!

Everyone has pretty much answered your questions already - you got a great deal overall considering the mileage, condition and options. Just as mentioned, you can size up from 235 to 245 without issue on the tires to buy your preferred make/brand. The 2016+ F Sport GS was offered in Ultra White as they ditched the Starfire Pearl (i have a '13 Starfire Pearl White exterior). Don't worry so much about the power trunk - that's a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.

Also: is the interior color Flaxen? Any plans for tint or other minor/major modifications?

Last edited by AJLex19; 09-01-20 at 04:57 PM.
cammyfive (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 04:52 PM
LSSAH
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats on the new GS! I am just curious what is the difference between starfire pearl compared to Ultra white 14+ GS F sport color, mine was a 14 F sport Ultra white.

I am not sure why Lexus only offer 1 year of Starfire pearl and then discontinuous in just one model year?
cammyfive (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 05:00 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@LSSAH see this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9326183

Ultra White will be more of a flat, bright white whereas the Starfire has a pearl/yellow finish - here's mine:

Last edited by AJLex19; 09-01-20 at 05:04 PM.
timmer844 (09-29-20)
Old 09-01-20, 05:13 PM
LSSAH
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

AJLEX19, Thanks for the link and picture. Starfire pearl is more like a pearl white compared to ultra white. I see the difference now and still a great looking color to own
Old 09-01-20, 06:08 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Thanks for the very thorough reply!

These are the packages/options that my car has according to the Owners Portal:

*F Sport Pkg
*Lexus Safety System Plus Pkg
*Navigation with 12.3" Display
*Mark Levinson Audio
*Intuitive Park Assist
*F Sport Heated Leather Steering Wheel

According to the 2016 brochure these are the options it lacks:

*Cold Weather Pkg
*Color Heads Up Display
*Power Open/Close Trunk

I have to say the only thing I really wish it had was the power trunk that I see even on lesser equipped cars. Interesting.

Your Atomic Silver or Nebular Grey were my preferred colors but the white is nice too, I wish the F Sport White was the same Pearl White as the luxury models though.
The Ultra white is really nice looking. It was one I would have considered if the car had everything else I was looking for....when you're shopping CPO you have to know where you're willing to compromise. I really wanted a LUX but I'm definitely happy with the F Sport.

I am really glad I went with (and found) the Atomic Silver - I count it as a blessing (now) that these things were selling so fast earlier in the year that if you didn't get to them literally within hours they were often gone. I was extremely frustrated at the time, I think I lost 4 (the first one being the perfect 2015 Nebula Gray Lux) because I didn't and./or couldn't physically get to the dealer in time (without some sort of Star Trek transporters). One weekend alone I think I drove 4 different 4th gens which is where the '16 refresh really started growing on me. It also gave me time to realize that here in the Pacific NW the Nebula Gray sorta looks blah in the rainy season when it's overcast for months. If I lived elsewhere I might feel different - although Atomic Silver has me wrapped around it's little finger - it SOOOOOOOO much better the Liquid Platinum <JK>

It is a little weird it doesn't have the cold weather package given they added the heated steering wheel and it's AWD - do you know where the car was originally sold/registered? Usually that's on the CarFAX. When I was looking there was definitely some weirdness at times with what options some cars would have on them. If I remember correctly, heated steering wheel was on all of them - I think because it's one of those features the sales folks can really talk up.

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@cammyfiveDon't worry so much about the power trunk - that's a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.
So I have to admit - when I was first shopping the power trunk was one of those things that I thought would be nice but I could live without. With my job I'm often carrying things so it's very nice to be able to tap it with both arms full - I wish they had the foot opener/closer as an OEM option (I know there are aftermarket options). Here's at least one thread on the mod in case you really want to add it.... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-retrofit.html NOTE: By clicking this link you absolve me of all responsibility for starting you on the Mod path

OH....and yesterday just found something new! There's a sensor on the underside of the door handle to lock the door - not just on top. My guess is that that part of the handle assembly is universal for both sides of the car.
cammyfive (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 07:21 PM
cammyfive
Rookie

The car was originally owned in NJ, which makes the lack of the Cold Weather Pkg even more interesting. Once I physically take delivery of the car I'll go over it and see if it is truly missing.

My "mods" plan is pretty simple and pretty much cosmetic/ease of cleaning related; it's one I've done to my last few cars:

*Xpel XR Prime+ ceramic window tint
*Paint correction/polishing and then Stek Paint Protection Film on the front bumper and mirrors from a good friend who does high end detailing
*New Michelin Pilot Sport all-season tires for year round

This is a maybe but I would LOVE to get it upgraded/done within the first 6 months of ownership:

*OEM Triple Beam LED Headlights

I've read about some folks installing them and I know it certainly isn't cheap but I'm a lighting snob and I think it not only puts out a wider beam pattern which is great, but classes up the appearance of the front end and makes it look more upscale.
Old 09-01-20, 07:25 PM
cammyfive
Rookie

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@cammyfive Congrats! Looks great and like it was well taken care of by the previous owner!

Everyone has pretty much answered your questions already - you got a great deal overall considering the mileage, condition and options. Just as mentioned, you can size up from 235 to 245 without issue on the tires to buy your preferred make/brand. The 2016+ F Sport GS was offered in Ultra White as they ditched the Starfire Pearl (i have a '13 Starfire Pearl White exterior). Don't worry so much about the power trunk - that's a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.

Also: is the interior color Flaxen? Any plans for tint or other minor/major modifications?

The interior is black. I definitely would have loved flaxen; the first car I was interested in was a non-F Sport/base car with Red over Flaxen. It had almost 70k miles on it which is objectively nothing on these cars but I just wanted something under factory warranty still and with ML sound. Had it had 20K fewer miles and ML sound I would have went with it. Truth be told, I actually prefer the non-F Sport front end on these cars.

I'll be doing my usual small cosmetic upgrades - Xpel XR Prime+ ceramic window tint, paint correction and paint protection film, and new Michelin tires when it is due. Other than that, I would love to upgrade to the OEM Triple Beam LED headlights; I know a couple of folks have and it isn't cheap but I love them. I could not find a single pre-owned 2016-2018 GS350 in any trim that had the triple beam LEDs within 500 miles of me (Atlanta) for sale.

Last edited by cammyfive; 09-01-20 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 09:32 AM
Cheng27182
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Full Potential

Make sure you take advantage of the sport s + mode and really get on the gas. Enjoy the car they are a really nice blend of luxury and sport
cammyfive (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 11:26 AM
cammyfive
Rookie

Update: I'm picking up the car this late afternoon as it was ready much earlier than expected. I'll post a pic to this thread after I get home with it. I'm excited to finally have it!
websurfer (09-02-20)

Quick Reply: New 2016 GS350 F Sport AWD owner