GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2018 GS 350 Triple Beam Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 06:33 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus4jess
I did the swap. your head light will just have one ECU. Just the black one.
Ok great, good to know.

Does the bumper come off for the headlamp removal?

So you did the swap and then took it to a shop for the Techstream part? I am planning to buy the three day Techstream subscription as I have in the past, but want to drill a little more into the process if you know anything more about it.

Appreciate any help!
Old 11-04-22, 05:00 PM
BMGS
Racer

I found a couple of lights on eBay and they are on their way. I'll wait until the Black Friday sale at Bell Lexus to order the modules. If anyone wants my single beam LEDs, I'll sell them super cheap once the triple beams are in.

After some research, I found the attached Techstream procedure that seems to be consistent across various models of this era (RC, NX, RX) so I assume it is valid for the GS. Any ideas on that?

Also, on the 2016+ with the single beam LED headlamps, are there variations of those lights? Mine is the max BASE model that had no navigation before I added it and has no parking sensors, for example. I'm not sure if I'm missing something on my trim level that would make my experience different than the other swaps.

It doesn't have AFS although it seems that's the procedure that needs to be done? I'm a bit confused if I need to buy the multiplex body module from a GS-F or if all 2016+ are the same.

Do the triple beams follow the road when the steering wheel moves or am I thinking of something different with AFS (i.e. AFS is the turning feature and/or auto-leveling?)

Last edited by BMGS; 11-04-22 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 06:15 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

On my ES with factory installed triple-beams and AFS, yes, it follows the steering wheel. This was nice when I drove in a pitch black mountain roads last time, u can see the the light beam moves left and right. The ES also has cornering lights on both sides that lights up when it senses that ur slowing down to make a turn and if ur blinker is on or u start turning ur wheel slowly, like turning in a intersection or onto a driveway. I wish my GS has all these stuff from the factory.
Old 11-07-22, 12:08 PM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
On my ES with factory installed triple-beams and AFS, yes, it follows the steering wheel. This was nice when I drove in a pitch black mountain roads last time, u can see the the light beam moves left and right. The ES also has cornering lights on both sides that lights up when it senses that ur slowing down to make a turn and if ur blinker is on or u start turning ur wheel slowly, like turning in a intersection or onto a driveway. I wish my GS has all these stuff from the factory.
Yeah I don't think any 2016+ GS had that option. Now that I have one of the lights, I don't see anything that would move it on its own, so I guess that's a good thing. I have the modules on order and I'll install these as soon as those come in.
Old 11-08-22, 04:46 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by lexus4jess
I did the swap. your head light will just have one ECU. Just the black one.
After you installed the lights but before your mechanic did the Techstream initialization, how did the lights behave? Did the low beams and turn signals work?

I am trying to plan for the worst case scenario in case I have issues with the Techstream initialization.

I think it won't be terrible for a few days to sort it out , if needed, as long as I can turn on low beams and have turn signals. I'll try this next week once the modules arrive, I couldn't wait for Cyber Monday!

Thanks!
Old 11-09-22, 03:37 AM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

The triple beams are indeed plug and play for the 2016+ as long as you buy new headlamp ECUs for it.

Then you’ll want to initialize the ECUs by using Techstream!

I been there and done it!
Old 11-09-22, 05:16 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
The triple beams are indeed plug and play for the 2016+ as long as you buy new headlamp ECUs for it.

Then you’ll want to initialize the ECUs by using Techstream!

I been there and done it!
Thanks for the confirmation, can you provide more detail on initializing the ECUs by using Techstream? Was it the process I posted above in post 32?
Old 11-09-22, 01:08 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so how much are we looking at if we buy the headlights and ECU brand new from a dealer? I know some dealers have discounts.
Old 11-09-22, 01:47 PM
BMGS
Racer

Okay, so how much are we looking at if we buy the headlights and ECU brand new from a dealer? I know some dealers have discounts.
The ECUs are $408 for both and headlamps are about $2,400 each. I buy from Bell Lexus which usually has the lowest prices but more importantly, they have a ton of holiday sales that are available across the dealer parts site network. Their best (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) sale is about 30% off those prices but I couldn't wait once I found the set of lamps on ebay.

I found one headlamp for $550 and one for $1,100 on ebay. Both look great so far and the damage is in the mounting tabs which are hidden once installed.

The $550 one had two broken tabs but I have been working on replacing those with metal brackets. Lexus sells replacement top brackets that can be screwed into a factory provisioned location for this exact purpose. On the $550 headlamp I found, those factory replacement points were missing but I was able to fabricate around it using parts I had on hand. Well worth the savings for a few hours of work.
Old 11-09-22, 03:59 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

So we need 2 ECUs, one for each headlight? Wow okay that's basically a used car price for this whole upgrade.
Old 11-09-22, 06:05 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

Easily over $5000. Not sure if it’s worth $5000 or not haha.

You can easily find insurance grade on eBay for about $1200 a piece. I was able to find two great units for $1400.
The following users liked this post:
lexus4jess (11-16-22)
Old 11-12-22, 10:41 AM
BMGS
Racer

I installed them and they look fantastic. I haven't gotten around to the Techstream part yet but even without that, the low beams, turn signals, emergency signals and high beams work.

Last edited by BMGS; 11-13-22 at 02:08 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BMGS:
AJLex19 (11-14-22), byungkuk (11-13-22), JDR76 (11-12-22), jgscott (11-12-22), lexus4jess (11-16-22)
Old 11-13-22, 02:13 AM
BMGS
Racer

I completed the Techstream process. The error message is gone and everything seems to be working perfectly.

I followed the guide I posted earlier which is essentially the following steps once you are connected:

1. Go to the Body/Electrical menu

2. Select the AFS module

3. Select the Utilities option

4. First, run the ECU Information Synchronization utility.

5. Second, run the initialization utility.

After that, everything was good.
The following 2 users liked this post by BMGS:
JDR76 (11-14-22), thisguy_06 (11-13-22)
Old 11-13-22, 10:01 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

So everything is plug and play + Techstream? Do these have AFS or just auto leveling?
Old 11-13-22, 01:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
I completed the Techstream process. The error message is gone and everything seems to be working perfectly.

I followed the guide I posted earlier which is essentially the following steps once you are connected:

1. Go to the Body/Electrical menu

2. Select the AFS module

3. Select the Utilities option

4. First, run the ECU Information Synchronization utility.

5. Second, run the initialization utility.

After that, everything was good.
Nice BM! Looks great. Did you get to do a alignment of them yet?

I have almost everything I need for a set of the used 450h Round Triples for my GS. Cant wait to install them. BTW: Did you sand/polish the used lens on the ones you got?

Quick Reply: 2018 GS 350 Triple Beam Lights