GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Owning a GS and the job you have.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20 | 09:14 AM
wiltony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by taniner
I'm a property claims insurance adjuster. Bought it used 1 year old with less than $5k miles.

Dude the roof of that house in the background makes it look like you have a massive aftermarket spoiler on the back of that thing!
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20 | 10:32 AM
sle783
Driver School Candidate

I am a gigolo part time and I deliver pizza for dominos full time. I own a LS460L awd and my coworker can’t figure out how I afford such a car lol.
Old 09-16-20 | 11:42 AM
LSCurtis
10th Gear

Hear ya buddy, years ago I had a "95 BMW and I got sooo many negative comments about how I must be some kind of rich A-hole because that's who drives BMW's. The car was self destructing like BMW's with high mileage do so I sold it and bought a Cadillac STS. Same kind of comments. I even had a jealous young guy boot my door. Also had a '79 Vette and that was the worst. Every day something would happen with losers doing everything they could do to get in front of me, lay on the brakes just before turning, etc. Then got my first ls400. Cool, no one made any comments! Best car I ever had! Drove it 10 trouble free years. Now I have an '05 ls430. 5 trouble free years, now THIS is the best car I"ve ever had. No garbage comments ever. The thing is, when people make jealous, nasty comments, it takes away the joy of owning that car. Congrats on your GS, beautiful cars!
Old 09-16-20 | 11:45 AM
LSCurtis
10th Gear

Talking

Originally Posted by wiltony
Dude the roof of that house in the background makes it look like you have a massive aftermarket spoiler on the back of that thing!
What roof? Hey, nice spoiler!!
Old 09-16-20 | 11:48 AM
LSCurtis
10th Gear

Red face

Originally Posted by sle783
I am a gigolo part time and I deliver pizza for dominos full time. I own a LS460L awd and my coworker can’t figure out how I afford such a car lol.
Tell 'em you have a rich "aunt"
Old 09-16-20 | 11:52 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by LSCurtis
Hear ya buddy, years ago I had a "95 BMW and I got sooo many negative comments about how I must be some kind of rich A-hole because that's who drives BMW's. The car was self destructing like BMW's with high mileage do so I sold it and bought a Cadillac STS. Same kind of comments. I even had a jealous young guy boot my door. Also had a '79 Vette and that was the worst. Every day something would happen with losers doing everything they could do to get in front of me, lay on the brakes just before turning, etc. Then got my first ls400. Cool, no one made any comments! Best car I ever had! Drove it 10 trouble free years. Now I have an '05 ls430. 5 trouble free years, now THIS is the best car I"ve ever had. No garbage comments ever. The thing is, when people make jealous, nasty comments, it takes away the joy of owning that car. Congrats on your GS, beautiful cars!
Many only see the car and not the person who worked for it.
Old 09-16-20 | 12:00 PM
websurfer
Racer

Here's one for ya'll, others things we don't save $$$

Last edited by websurfer; 09-16-20 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-16-20 | 12:29 PM
kietlander
Racer

wait, you guys have jobs? suckers...
The following 5 users liked this post by kietlander:
Knucklebus (09-18-20), LexusGSboy (09-16-20), RichKnecht (09-17-20), signdetres (09-16-20), ThomasGS4 (09-21-20)
Old 09-16-20 | 12:33 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by sle783
Living the dream right there.

I considered a used 460L onceuponatime. It was $18k w high mileage but fully loaded. It wouldn't fit in my garage.
Old 09-16-20 | 01:10 PM
chicagoron
Rookie

Originally Posted by davian112
Some cars are stereotypically judged based on the type of job you got for sure. Unfortunately, in my case I work as a stock manager in a laboratory. I think I make good money but others might think I make less than what my position is. Today we had a group luncheon outside in the parking lot due to Covid. One of the Directors here at the lab points to my car and wonder who the owner was. My coworkers points to me and some of them quickly notice that I shouldn't be driving a car like this. Maybe I should be in a Honda Accord or some car that I maybe can afford. They were making points like wow that's a Lexus with rims. You must make a lot of money. Honestly, I got my car for under 37k when I purchased it used. This is pretty much the same price as a brand new Toyota Camry. If I was driving a Camry with rims I'm pretty sure no one would say anything. Do any of you guys ever get judged by how much you make and how nice and fixed up your car is, or do you all have nice jobs and could afford it? Sorry just venting. I'm sick of people like that!
I fully get what you're saying. I have similar thoughts. It seems that if you get a beater car to drive to work, you'll get a better raise and will not have to deal with these comments (which are mostly actual thoughts).
Old 09-16-20 | 04:43 PM
BradP350
Driver

Default lexus status

I have a 19 ES 350 F-Sport and my friends think i spend alot of money on my car. But in reality its cheaper thank most big trucks or SUVs.
Thats cool they think i have money thats all that matter whether i do or not lol.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20 | 05:33 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by BradP350
I have a 19 ES 350 F-Sport and my friends think i spend alot of money on my car. But in reality its cheaper thank most big trucks or SUVs.
Thats cool they think i have money thats all that matter whether i do or not lol.
My friend thinks I wasted $$$ also.
Old 09-17-20 | 10:42 AM
ScarletRC
Driver School Candidate

Default Teacher

I’m a teacher. 25 years in education. I catch **** all the time for my rc350. What they don’t know is that my wife and I made some real estate investments many years ago that are still paying dividends. And guess what? **** them...they don’t need to know.

My RC is a 2016. I bought it used with 29k miles and for a reasonable price. They don’t need to know that either. Let them think I bought it new at retail cost.

’They’ is referring to other teachers and administrators. Let all others think what they want I didn’t buy it for them. I bought it for me. I say as long as you can make the payments and still care of whatever else needs to be done for you and family everyone else can go to hell 🙂
The following 7 users liked this post by ScarletRC:
CAKETOWN (09-17-20), davian112 (09-17-20), FSportOnly (09-17-20), LexusGSboy (09-17-20), MBradshaw (09-17-20), signdetres (09-17-20), ThomasGS4 (09-21-20) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-18-20 | 09:18 AM
WNYX
Driver

I've been very fortunate to have been able to drive luxury cars. I happen to look really young for my age. I've heard all sorts of comments:
1. "I'm paying you too much." - from my employer
2. "Your parents must have gotten the car for you."
3. You must be driving your parent's car."
4. "You must be a go-fer or the guy that puts in the gas for the cars being serviced."
Sometimes when I leave work (either for lunch or to go home), it's almost like I have to get in my car in secret because I don't want my coworkers/clients judging me.
Old 09-18-20 | 11:04 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

lol man i really couldn't give a **** less what people think, i enjoy the car and that's all that matters.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAKETOWN:
LexusGSboy (09-18-20), websurfer (09-18-20)

Quick Reply: Owning a GS and the job you have.