2014 GS 350 F-Sport Moonroof Won't Close

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 11:04 AM
GTGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation 2014 GS 350 F-Sport Moonroof Won't Close

Hey guys and gals,

I tried searching for an answer to this issue that developed yesterday and I can't seem to find an answer.

So, I tried opening my moon roof yesterday and it would not open at all. No matter what I did, turn off the car, turn it on, it would not open. Then, I washed my car and when I got back to where I was staying I tried opening it again and it worked! Totally random too, I tried opening and closing it a couple of times to make sure that it was actually working. It worked no problem at all.

Today, I went for a cruise up the mountains and opened the moon roof. There were no issues at all and it closed as well. Fast forward about 1-2 hours of the moon roof being open and when I got back to the place I am staying at, the moon roof WILL NOT CLOSE!! Now it is just wide open and I have tried turning the car on and off and tried pulling it while pressing the button and nothing. The odd thing is that usually if you leave the moon roof open, the car will beep at you and give you a warning message saying that that the moon roof is open. My car is currently not doing that and is basically registering the moon roof as closed.

I have my sunshade over the exposed moon roof currently, but I really need to figure out what is going on with my moon roof as I REALLY need to get it closed back up. Any advice/assistance will be AMAZING. Thanks everybody.

P.S. This is my first post outside of my introduction when I first joined Club Lexus, please be gentle! 😂
Old 09-15-20, 11:58 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 251 Posts

Selective opening and closing seems to point to a source power issue. The lack of alarm could be consistent with this, too.

Have you checked the associated fuse(s)?
Old 09-15-20, 12:01 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 303 Likes on 188 Posts

Did you try page 754 of owners manual?
Page 154 might have some helpful tips as it might be out of synch.

Last edited by Nalod; 09-15-20 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 07:42 AM
GTGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried searching for the fuse and couldn't find it. I'll have to do a deeper search! ×
Old 09-22-20, 04:51 PM
MBradshaw
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Most of the cars I've had have had a way of manually closing the sunroof, but I wasn't able to find anything similar on the GS.

It's a long shot, but have you tried using the mechanical key? The function would have had to been programmed by the dealer, but worth a try (see Position #2, turn and hold):

Old 09-22-20, 05:24 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Selective opening and closing seems to point to a source power issue. The lack of alarm could be consistent with this, too.

Have you checked the associated fuse(s)?
Originally Posted by GTGS350F
I tried searching for the fuse and couldn't find it. I'll have to do a deeper search! ×
To me the fuse wouldn't make sense unless it was loose or maybe corroded. Whenever I've seen a car fuse blow it's blown - there's not really a way for it to partially blow.

Hey guys and gals,

I tried searching for an answer to this issue that developed yesterday and I can't seem to find an answer.

So, I tried opening my moon roof yesterday and it would not open at all. No matter what I did, turn off the car, turn it on, it would not open. Then, I washed my car and when I got back to where I was staying I tried opening it again and it worked! Totally random too, I tried opening and closing it a couple of times to make sure that it was actually working. It worked no problem at all.

Today, I went for a cruise up the mountains and opened the moon roof. There were no issues at all and it closed as well. Fast forward about 1-2 hours of the moon roof being open and when I got back to the place I am staying at, the moon roof WILL NOT CLOSE!! Now it is just wide open and I have tried turning the car on and off and tried pulling it while pressing the button and nothing. The odd thing is that usually if you leave the moon roof open, the car will beep at you and give you a warning message saying that that the moon roof is open. My car is currently not doing that and is basically registering the moon roof as closed.
The lack of the car thinking the moon roof is open makes me think it could be power related or some sort of sensor making the moon roof think it's closed when it's open or open when it's closed or both. Maybe a loose or damaged wire/switch/connector - and washing the car got water into something that closed the circuit so ti worked? I tried to see if I could find something that talked about the sensor - didn't see anything. Everything I found searching that got much into that area of the car was either 3rd Gen GS or a different model completely.

Today, I went for a cruise up the mountains and opened the moon roof.
Mountains? In Texas? Where? There aren't any mountains in Texas <JK>

P.S. This is my first post outside of my introduction when I first joined Club Lexus, please be gentle! 😂
Just teasing about the mountains...I know there are a few little ones.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 09-22-20 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-25-20, 12:05 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 303 Likes on 188 Posts

Is the roof still opened?
Old 09-25-20, 12:44 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
Is the roof still opened?
And has it rained?