Jack Stand Placement

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 07:09 PM
Shvc0137
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jack Stand Placement

Hi all,

I am going to be replacing my brake pads and rotors soon. I am using Centric PQ Pro pads and Centric coated rotors on my 13' AWD F Sport. Let me know if you would like the part numbers. I will be replacing parts on all 4 corners in one session and I would like to get the car completely off the ground as I do this. I have already located floor jack jacking points using the owners' manual, but cannot find any documentation about jack stands in it or on the forum. Can anyone provide me with safe jack stand placement locations?

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-15-20, 08:14 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I use the spot for the factory jack stand, same position on every other car, but you need this puck for the floor jack:
Otherwise you will bend the pinch weld.

Amazon Amazon

And there is a YouTube video of jack failure with a GSF, but the idiot stacked two pucks on top of each other and the puck slid off. Only use one puck, it stays in the groove of the jack.

The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Niralsp88 (09-15-20), Shvc0137 (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 08:18 PM
Shvc0137
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I use the spot for the factory jack stand, same position on every other car, but you need this puck for the floor jack:
Otherwise you will bend the pinch weld.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Jack-P...0225881&sr=8-2

And there is a YouTube video of jack failure with a GSF, but the idiot stacked two pucks on top of each other and the puck slid off. Only use one puck, it stays in the groove of the jack.
Thank you for the information! I intend on jacking the car up from the front cross member and rear differential. Do I still need the puck?
Old 09-15-20, 08:24 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shvc0137
Thank you for the information! I intend on jacking the car up from the front cross member and rear differential. Do I still need the puck?
No. Puck is just for the side pinch weld jack points.

I had the entire car jacked in the air from all 6 points when I painted my calipers.
The following users liked this post:
Shvc0137 (09-18-20)
Old 09-15-20, 09:26 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

This puck won't slide off right? Is the slot deep enough for the pinch weld?
Old 09-15-20, 10:24 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
This puck won't slide off right? Is the slot deep enough for the pinch weld?
Puck doesn’t go anywhere seat of floor jack has lip around it. Pinch weld goes into slot so puck is basically locked in from the car side and the floor jack.

I jack up my car from just the driver side with the puck/floorjack and put a jack stand under the car(for safety) everytime I do an oil change. Also the car is tilted at an angle so I get as much oil out as possible.

I also engage(it’s automatic) the parking brake unless I’m doing a rear brake job and put a rock behind one of the rear wheels just in case.
Shvc0137 (09-18-20)
Old 09-16-20, 12:19 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Or you can just take a wood slab, saw a slot in it and place it in the pinch weld and jack on that. Only lasts a few times until it cracks but it's cheap!
Shvc0137 (09-18-20)
Old 09-16-20, 07:11 AM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Front crossmember and rear differential should be the jacking points and then the jack stands go under the pinch welds. If you use the jack on the pinch welds, you won't have room for the jack stands. Ignore if using a post lift.
Old 09-16-20, 08:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This shows where the car can be jacked up and still have room to place the jack stand on the regular jack point which is what I do, I don't use pucks but I am sure they help not bending that thinner metal tab that sticks down, I just put a folded towel between the jack stand and that tab to take off some of the pressure/metal to metal on the tabs. I would not put a jack stand in the center where he put it though in the video when he is done jacking the car up.

Old 09-16-20, 02:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

I use an aluminium hydraulic jack applied to the front cross member to raise the front end, and then slot two aluminium jack stands under the front left and right door sill pinch welds.
I then apply the hydraulic jack to the rear differential to raise the rear end, and then slot another two jack stands under the rear left and rear right door sill pinch welds.

I used to use the slotted silicone rubber puck in the photo above, but I found that it was too large, and often fell off the smaller square mount on my jack stands.
When I cut it to size, I found that the pinch welds on the underside of the door sills cut through the slot, and split the silicone rubber puck in half.

Then I purchased four (4) blue anodized aluminium rectangular pinch weld adaptors, with twin screw attachments.
They fit precisely onto the small square heads of my four (4) blue anodized aluminium jack stands.
I lift all four wheels off the ground to do quick DIY wheel rotations.

https://www.phase2motortrend.com/category-s/290.htm

I recommend you buy these for very quick wheel removal!

I use precise torque settings to tighten brake caliper and wheel bolts to manufacturer torque specifications.
Torque wrenches with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" head sizes.

Cold steel is harder, but it oxidizes very quickly...

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-16-20 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 11:18 PM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I use an aluminium hydraulic jack applied to the front cross member to raise the front end, and then slot two aluminium jack stands under the front left and right door sill pinch welds.
I then apply the hydraulic jack to the rear differential to raise the rear end, and then slot another two jack stands under the rear left and rear right door sill pinch welds.

I used to use the slotted silicone rubber puck in the photo above, but I found that it was too large, and often fell off the smaller square mount on my jack stands.
When I cut it to size, I found that the pinch welds on the underside of the door sills cut through the slot, and split the silicone rubber puck in half.

Then I purchased four (4) blue anodized aluminium rectangular pinch weld adaptors, with twin screw attachments.
They fit precisely onto the small square heads of my four (4) blue anodized aluminium jack stands.
I lift all four wheels off the ground to do quick DIY wheel rotations.

https://www.phase2motortrend.com/category-s/290.htm

I recommend you buy these for very quick wheel removal!

I use precise torque settings to tighten brake caliper and wheel bolts to manufacturer torque specifications.
Torque wrenches with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" head sizes.

Cold steel is harder, but it oxidizes very quickly...
That was seemlingly extremely expensive tools for something as simple as a wheel change....
I wouldn't want to see your tools bill for removing a transmission or similar....

Guys seriously.
It's not about the tools you have. It's never about the tools you have.
It's about your attitude.

I have very limited tools. Yet I've built a 1963 Austin A40 Farina from the ground up, restored all running parts on a 1971 Ford Ranchero and I've completely torn apart my foxbody Thunderbird for a ground up restoration.
Using what tools? I've seriously drilled out hundreds of pinch welds using a corded drill that's excentric as hell and sounds like you've thrown a handfull of gravel into your valvetrain.
oldguy77 (04-26-22)
Old 09-16-20, 11:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperTim
That was seemlingly extremely expensive tools for something as simple as a wheel change....
I wouldn't want to see your tools bill for removing a transmission or similar....

Guys seriously.

I have very limited tools. Yet I've built a 1963 Austin A40 Farina from the ground up, restored all running parts on a 1971 Ford Ranchero and I've completely torn apart my foxbody Thunderbird for a ground up restoration.
Using what tools? I've seriously drilled out hundreds of pinch welds using a corded drill that's excentric as hell and sounds like you've thrown a handfull of gravel into your valvetrain.
Yes, they are nice tools.
They weren't that expensive.
I just enjoy myself.
I just do it for the love of it.
The following 2 users liked this post by peteharvey:
JeffKeryk (09-17-20), SC300Es (09-26-20)
Old 09-17-20, 09:16 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 66 Posts

The rubber pads for the jacks are awesome, I also like the rubber pads for jack stands:
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-17-20, 10:49 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by IcyBishop
The rubber pads for the jacks are awesome, I also like the rubber pads for jack stands: https://www.amazon.com/CZS-Adapter-U...s%2C163&sr=8-5
I have a set of these, too, perfect for the pinch welds.

Before I had them, I just put the jack stands inside the pinch weld, butt up against the backside, never had a problem w that method either.

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-18-20 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-17-20, 11:18 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperTim

Guys seriously.
Two summer/winter tire changeovers for 4 cars per year, sometimes 2-3 more cars for friends.
Used to do it all by hand, but spent $200 on a cordless impact/sockets few years ago - never looked back.

I save at least 15minutes per car, and my back thanks me every time.

Quick Reply: Jack Stand Placement