GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Screech noise when accelerating 1>2 gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 05:41 PM
SebastianD
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Screech noise when accelerating 1>2 gear?

Hello all!

2013 GS350 AWD Base Model (6 Speed ATM) 101k miles

For the last year or so, I have noticed that SOMETIMES when accelerating from a dead stop (with the windows rolled down) from 1st to 2nd gear, I hear what sounds like a quiet high pitched metallic screech noise coming from the drive train area. I don't believe it to be related to brakes or heat shield, as the noise is present accelerating straight ahead as well. I have given the car some RPM while the vehicle was in park and neutral and did not hear it at all, which makes me believe its coming somewhere from the drive train area. I acquired the vehicle at 95k and so far have done a lot of maintenance work to it such as:

-Transmission pan drop/filter/magnet cleaning, and drain and fill 2x after
-Spark Plugs
-Drive belt (was squeaking when cold)
-Front and rear diff fluid (with Lube Tech fluid, same as the Toyota dealer in my area uses)
-Front brake pads and rotors (Lexus parts)
-6 Denso ignition coils (because I'm spoiled)

Is this amount of metal in the transmission pan magnets normal?

I also noticed some small metal fragments from the front differential fluid when draining, but no pieces. I spoke to a few of the Tech's and they say its normal.

I am almost certain this started happening AFTER I dropped the pan and changed the fluid (Toyota World Standard fluid of course). I am a General Service Technician and I performed all of the work myself. Yes, I did the fluid level check correctly every time I changed the fluid. I also reset the TCM adaptations with a $10k scan tool to no avail. I found a decent amount of metal attached to the pan magnets, and I am not sure if its considered normal or not.

Also, the noise isn't the only thing that's concerning me. I have been feeling that the vehicle shifts a lot more jerky than my other vehicles. I have a 2015 Avalon (U660E) and a 1997 Es300 (A541E) that don't have this "choppy", "Jerky" and occasional hesitation feeling that the GS350 does. I am not asking for a diagnosis as that is difficult to do online, but to ask you guys: A) Have any of you noticed this type of noise while accelerating, and B) How does your transmission feel when driving over normal roads? Does it feel choppy? Does it feel delayed? Does it feel jerky?

I have spoke to a transmission shop, and the dealer. Both say these types of issues are difficult to diagnose, and that I should just wait for something to fail.(I have an extended warranty that expires in 2 years). But knowing Toyota products, this will likely stay the same throughout my ownership unless figured out.