UPWA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty? Yes or No

My car has 34k miles and Lexus offered me
5 years or up to 100k miles extended warranty
$166 for 2-year installment, no cost other 3 yrs
$100 deductible every repair

Has anyone fixed the car between 50~100k miles?
Old 09-19-20, 07:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It's a waste of money on this car, the GS350 is one of the most reliable modern sedans with no trouble spots, certainly no expensive trouble spots. Lexus is trying to make as much money as they can on the GS.

Stay away from dealerships out of warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by UDel:
bob256k (09-21-20), Knucklebus (09-24-20)
Old 09-19-20, 09:16 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Under my wife's "encouragement", I have bought 4 Lexus extended warranties. Have not had the need to use one yet on any of those 4 cars!
The following 3 users liked this post by bob67:
Cobra611 (09-22-20), Lnwinston (09-23-20), usncmc (09-24-20)
Old 09-19-20, 10:13 AM
edoggie
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on the other side of the fence for warranties on an expensive vehicle like Lexus.

Lexus' hourly rate is 120-ish dollars. Lexus parts are $$$$. A Lexus xenon lexus headlight can range between 1500-3500 dollars. What If one of your headlights malfunction?

Yes these vehicles are reliable, however, I thinks it is worth the piece of mind for the extended warranty if an issue comes up.

Not everyone can work on a complex issue involving these particular vehicles. Some items will have to go to the dealership. In some cases, the dealership can't solve the problem and have to call their dedicated tech line (only available to them).

I just had a lexus at the dealership for several days for a complex issue. They had to put in at least 10 hours overall. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty. I think I paid between 1500 and 2000 for the warranty.

These facts alone are enough for me to pay for a *lexus* (not third party) extended warranty.

The cost of two repairs can exceed the cost of an extended warranty.

The following users liked this post:
JoanneS (09-24-20)
Old 09-19-20, 10:35 AM
FSportOnly
Rookie

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Labor is expensive. I purchased a warranty so it's covered the whole time I'm making payments on it. If I don't use it, cool. But is something goes wrong its the piece of mind that I can just hand it over to the Lexus dealer, get a loaner car and wait for it to get fixed. There are tons of people who have zero issues with their cars but the service bay is never empty so everybody there isn't getting an oil change. You have to financial decide if and how you'd pay for an expensive repair should it arise. I personally don't want to pull money out my savings for a repair that could cost several grand so I sprung for the warranty. My warranty is for unlimited mileage however.
edoggie (09-19-20)
Old 09-19-20, 10:55 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

When I purchased my CPO I negotiated the warranty in on the rest of the deal. They have room on the price of the warranty to come down. Mine was a '16 w 37,000 miles. To me the warranty is like insurance.

I agree that the car is an extremely reliable car and is unlikely to have problems.
I agree that the warranty is mostly profit for the dealer and Lexus (which is why they can negotiate the price)
I agree that I'm unlikely to use it

But....I don't even want to know what it would cost if say one of the side mirrors stopped folding in and out or the power trunk stopped closing. There's a lot on these cars. Hopefully nothing will go wrong but if it does I definitely don't want an expensive car repair while I'm still making payments. Financially I could handle it but I know for myself I wouldn't be happy about it.

It all comes down to your risk tolerance and finances. As a CPO you don't know exactly how the previous owner took care of the car. I'm assuming that this is also the Lexus version of the warranty, not a third party.

I don't think there's a wrong choice - at least not until you find out you needed it or didn't need it.

Old 09-19-20, 07:21 PM
GeeEss350
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I read the small print on mine and it doesn't cover shocks, which as we know are common to leak and expensive to replace.
Old 09-19-20, 11:15 PM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

As a policy, I refuse to pay for peace of mind (aka any extended warranty on anything) and would rather pay out of pocket for repairs/service. For this reason, I place huge value on proven reliability. The GS very much falls into this category. Once the factory warranty runs out, have all services done by a good independent mechanic and put that money in a savings account instead. You'll almost always come out ahead.
The following 6 users liked this post by pd7702:
Im2bz2p345 (09-21-20), Knucklebus (09-24-20), LexusGSboy (09-20-20), NinjaNap (07-10-22), UDel (09-21-20), websurfer (09-20-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-20-20, 01:02 PM
MBradshaw
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pd7702
As a policy, I refuse to pay for peace of mind (aka any extended warranty on anything) and would rather pay out of pocket for repairs/service. For this reason, I place huge value on proven reliability. The GS very much falls into this category. Once the factory warranty runs out, have all services done by a good independent mechanic and put that money in a savings account instead. You'll almost always come out ahead.
I tend to agree with this as well. It's a personal decision on how much (if anything) you're willing to pay for that 'peace of mind' the warranty provides. I was offered several options when I bought mine, and I declined them all. On the other hand, my wife (who bought a Porsche Cayenne) insisted on purchasing the warranty. I relented, particularly since 1) happy wife, happy life, and 2) you can sneeze at a Porsche dealership and walk out with a $3k bill. So if she feels better with it, that's fine - but me, I'm more of a gambler and will put some cash away in the case of some oddball major repair. One of the major reasons I bought the Lexus in the first place was the reliability, so I'm more than comfortable putting my faith in that and their history.
UDel (09-21-20)
Old 09-20-20, 01:10 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 314 Likes on 196 Posts

Those that have it will advocate.
I had it on my BMW and had a headlight draw moisture. Did not cover it. Why? Said “They don’t cover adhesives”. I said you can’t manufacture a headlight assembly without it! $2500. Dealer price was $500 less than independent. There were 5 different serial numbers for my model. finding a used one was impossible. when a year later the second started I did a temporary fix and sold the car to BMW.
I researched the GS to be of great Toyota reliable and not think.
You don’t have to think of a warranty as insurance because thats exactly what it is.
Take the extra money and put it aside as a “fix it fund”.
If you can’t afford to fix the car and build the warranty into the payments then thats what you gotta do, then do that. Not everyone has the same outlook on financial vs emotional vs actuarial realities.
Wife and I for years would use small windfalls and make extra payments on Mortgage. Small stuff, like reducing payment on cable, up the mortgage. We also would do things like buy a new car and put 2k in a “fix it fund”. When the warranty would have run out we’d dump that into the mortgage. I’m in my late 50’s now and no house payment.
Warranties are a way to sleep at night when you buy a car you can’t really afford.
I only buy them on kitchen appliances because they all suck. $200 a year for my Electrolux fridge, dishwasher, oven, stove top and microwave. All had issues in first 6 years. Got to know the guys well! Ask, “Who makes the appliances with the least repair”? They say nobody. The higher end stuff is even worse!!!!
UDel (09-21-20)
Old 09-20-20, 01:21 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by UPWA
My car has 34k miles and Lexus offered me
Back in 2015, bought my '13 GS as a CPO with 42k miles. I never even considered an extended warranty on top of the CPO. Never made any warranty claim under the CPO which expired in 2018. No issues - now with 61k miles out of warranty for the last few years...just oil changes and car washes.

I'd say skip the extended warranty for a 4GS.
UDel (09-21-20)
Old 09-20-20, 02:21 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=UPWA;10896246]My car has 34k miles and Lexus offered me

The probability of failure within 100,000 miles is very low. Therefore, I would save the money in a car repair fund. If you never use it, it’s yours to keep.
UDel (09-21-20)
Old 09-20-20, 02:27 PM
UPWA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't feel like to apply ext warranty because I'm dealing the rattle noises with dealership and they fixed 3 times but I'm still hearing it...
Old 09-20-20, 05:32 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GeeEss350
I read the small print on mine and it doesn't cover shocks, which as we know are common to leak and expensive to replace.
That's too bad since I've already had to replace a pair of shocks at 44K miles. I was thinking that if the price for a warranty was similar to paying to replace the other pair of shocks, then I'd consider the warranty. Thanks for the warning/information.
Old 09-21-20, 07:10 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Never for a Lexus or Toyota. I don't even think CPO is necessary.

As long as the maintenance was done and there's no obvious evidence of neglect, you can be sufficiently assured of a low TCO experience.

Last edited by jonathancl; 09-21-20 at 07:26 AM.
Im2bz2p345 (09-21-20)

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty? Yes or No