GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20 | 10:28 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by websurfer
I surely would like to do my own brakes myself. I watched a number of youtube videos and I'm not 100% confident. I wish somebody did an A-Z video on Youtube and don't skip any steps. I'm finding many skip steps or doesn't show the whole process like issues with it.

I like the OEM brakes and rotors for best results.

How much for the 2 front brake pads usually cost?
I have an 14' F-Sport RWD with the big front brakes, and pads were $58.18 + $14 for new shims. New rotors were $465.
Old 09-29-20 | 10:40 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by CouveGS
I have an 14' F-Sport RWD with the big front brakes, and pads were $58.18 + $14 for new shims. New rotors were $465.
Rotors are very expensive, I see that now. thanks.
Old 09-29-20 | 12:27 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CouveGS
Wow didn't know they were that expensive. Checked online for base vs f sport and both seem to be under $100 a piece.
Old 09-29-20 | 01:06 PM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MGs350
Wow didn't know they were that expensive. Checked online for base vs f sport and both seem to be under $100 a piece.
For the AWD F-Sport front rotors, yes they are cheaper. Not sure if they are the same as base with just upgraded pads?

The RWD F-Sport front brakes are brembo style and much larger, 2 piece rotors.
Old 09-30-20 | 08:50 AM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Dealer states the pop noise from mine is from pads shifting when car direction initially changes which is normal. Since it does not occur when turning, it was not related to TSB which requires replacing 2pc front rotors (RWD F Sport) with the 1pc on AWD. Fortunately no brake squeal for me for now.
Old 09-30-20 | 09:22 PM
Gwingard
Driver School Candidate

Bell Lexus (via Amazon) has the front pads and rotors for $260.00 Installed them myself this week.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (09-30-20)
Old 09-30-20 | 09:54 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

I surely would like to do my own brakes myself. I watched a number of youtube videos and I'm not 100% confident. I wish somebody did an A-Z video on Youtube and don't skip any steps. I'm finding many skip steps or doesn't show the whole process like issues with it.

I like the OEM brakes and rotors for best results.

How much for the 2 front brake pads usually cost?
search for @DIYDanCars aka DIYDan on YouTube , he has a bunch of GS 350 videos. I think he has one for brakes but can’t remember for sure. Usually his videos are really detailed, I bet it will show you what you need if he has one for brakes. Brakes are pretty easy on this car, it’s the first car I’ve ever done brakes on myself, and it’s really not bad. Maube try to find a friend who’s done brakes before, always helps the confidence.

a lot of the stuff is just looking how it’s put together (pad assembly) and making sure you reassemble it in the same way.
The following users liked this post:
RA051823 (03-19-22)
Old 09-30-20 | 10:05 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by CottageChz
search for @DIYDanCars aka DIYDan on YouTube , he has a bunch of GS 350 videos. I think he has one for brakes but can’t remember for sure. Usually his videos are really detailed, I bet it will show you what you need if he has one for brakes. Brakes are pretty easy on this car, it’s the first car I’ve ever done brakes on myself, and it’s really not bad. Maube try to find a friend who’s done brakes before, always helps the confidence.

a lot of the stuff is just looking how it’s put together (pad assembly) and making sure you reassemble it in the same way.
I already watch DIYDanCars. None of my friends does their own brakes.
Old 09-30-20 | 10:13 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

I already watch DIYDanCars. None of my friends does their own brakes.
ok, sorry, not sure what to tell you then... find a cheaper mechanic I suppose
Old 10-01-20 | 09:16 PM
spb3
Driver School Candidate

Are rusty rotors normal for Lexus GS? Went for a test drive today and all rotors had rust on them. Sales guy said this is normal but there was another 2017 GS 350 f-sport right next to this one and rotors had no noticeable rust. Snapped these after sunset. At daytime they are even more noticeable. Can see some of it in these pics as well.

Old 10-01-20 | 09:39 PM
chinee
Racer

This was my wheel immediately after a wash. Rust on these are a way of life.

Old 10-01-20 | 09:50 PM
websurfer
Racer

I'm told by the dealer that if you drive the vehicle a bit, the rust would disappear. Not sure if true though. I picked the vehicle without the rust though.
Old 10-01-20 | 09:55 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

I'm in VA and i feel like every car I've owned have had rotors that looked like that
Old 10-01-20 | 11:35 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Can't tell too much from the pic besides the fact that the inner center has rust. Doesn't look like the actual disc has rust on it. If it does, I'd say the car has been sitting on the lot for a bit and that happens. Maybe check the car VIN report to see when the dealer acquired it and negotiate all new pads and rotors to close the deal.

@chinee That happens everytime after a wash? Has not happened with mine. Only break issue I have is the damn squeaking more than half the time when coming to a stop. I think I need to replace or add anti squeal? Never done breaks before and not a wrencher at all. I'm thinking if I have a shop add or replace that, I might as well replace the pads again and replace the rotors. Bought the car in 2018 with 45k, replaced front pads with resurfacing rotors at 75k and now at 85k..

2015 gs350 rwd base..
Old 10-02-20 | 04:13 AM
chinee
Racer

Not every wash... I believe the rust is from the pads... semi-metallic so the iron in the brake dust oxidizes to rust fairly quickly. Drove the car from the driveway into the garage after washing, just enough to "smear" the wet, and damp brake dust all over the rotor. So I believe it's more a brake dust issue than rusting rotors. At the dealer, what you're likely seeing is a layer of oxidized brake dust on the rotor, that will blow off during driving or your next wash. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors