GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 04:17 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Brakes and rotors

I got a 2018 gs350 f sport that i took in for 25k service. They told me i need new brakes and rotor in the front. The cost would be 1100 for part and install. I said no and went to parts and order for 849, brakes , rotor, and shims. I check online and for the same part 649. Last time am going to the dealership to get anything. One question is it normal for the front pad to wear out so fast. When i got the car the back pad were at 10mm and fronts at 9mm. Now the back pad are at 10mm and front at 3mm
Old 09-21-20, 02:33 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

i mean you brake more with the weight to the front, your front brakes work the hardest. Not sure if you have RWD but the rotor is bigger as well. I wouldn't go to a dealership for a brake job.
Old 09-21-20, 03:48 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal916
I got a 2018 gs350 f sport that i took in for 25k service. They told me i need new brakes and rotor in the front. The cost would be 1100 for part and install. I said no and went to parts and order for 849, brakes , rotor, and shims. I check online and for the same part 649. Last time am going to the dealership to get anything. One question is it normal for the front pad to wear out so fast. When i got the car the back pad were at 10mm and fronts at 9mm. Now the back pad are at 10mm and front at 3mm
That $1100 probably included a brake fluid flush, and if not, you will probably need one by now. Only use Toyota/Lexus fluid.
Front pads typically wear out faster.. you don't say how many miles you have or the type of driving (city/hwy) you do, but mine wore out around 38k miles. My rear pads have hardly any wear.
For a 2018 model year, you do NOT need new rotors. Just replace the brake pads. I wouldn't even have the rotors turned. Even though they wore out in a short time, the Lexus pads are the best, no noise.
it is a simple job to do yourself if you have basic mechanical skills. There are YouTube videos on how to do it. It will take you more time to jack up the car and take off the tire than it will to change the brake pads.
Otherwise, find a local mechanic and tell rhem only to change the pads. The fluid flush is more work, but most mechanics charge $80 for it. Just demand Lexus fluids.
Old 09-21-20, 07:24 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal916
I wonder if you can get the Lexus parts and go to an independent mechanic or even the Toyota dealer. Many online Lexus stores will sell cheaper than some dealers.

I found for expensive car repairs, I able to negotiate to get a better deal in some cases but that would involve the service manager.
Old 09-21-20, 11:49 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Definitely don't go to the dealer for brakes. If you have a RWD F-Sport, the front rotors will be more expensive. The front brakes in most front-engined cars will typically always wear out before the rear ones. They do most of the work. When they'll need to be replaced depends on your driving style and the conditions you normally drive in.

My 2018 GS 350 F-Sport needed new front pads and rotors around 18 or 19,000 miles.

Sounds like you already got Lexus OEM rotors, pads and shims but this is the only way to avoid the nasty brake squeal you hear about on these cars from time to time.
Old 09-26-20, 05:50 PM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

are there wear indicators when pads
are low ? My front end just developed a popping/cracking sound when brakes applied. Not sure if sound related to pads or something else.
Old 09-26-20, 09:12 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I took my car in to firestone a year ago and had them replace pads with oem and turn the rotors. A year later and my breaks still have the squeal of death about 70% of the time. I'm thinking the shims were not replaced?
Old 09-27-20, 04:32 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by txcoupe
are there wear indicators when pads
are low ? My front end just developed a popping/cracking sound when brakes applied. Not sure if sound related to pads or something else.
There are wear indicators on the pads, well most do, some aftermarket may not have the wear indicators. How many miles on your car? It could very likely be that your pads are low. Pop off your wheels, it's an easy visual inspection.
Old 09-27-20, 04:36 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by MGs350
I took my car in to firestone a year ago and had them replace pads with oem and turn the rotors. A year later and my breaks still have the squeal of death about 70% of the time. I'm thinking the shims were not replaced?
Possible, but with our brakes it could be any number of variables. But the shims are an inexpensive option to try. Make sure you clean the caliper area where the pads and shims are installed, brake dust can cause uneven spaces between the parts and cause all sorts of squealing.
Old 09-27-20, 07:00 AM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Possible, but with our brakes it could be any number of variables. But the shims are an inexpensive option to try. Make sure you clean the caliper area where the pads and shims are installed, brake dust can cause uneven spaces between the parts and cause all sorts of squealing.
I'm a bit unsure but are the anti squal shims different than the ones the car originally came with? What part of the shims causes this?
Old 09-27-20, 10:19 AM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
There are wear indicators on the pads, well most do, some aftermarket may not have the wear indicators. How many miles on your car? It could very likely be that your pads are low. Pop off your wheels, it's an easy visual inspection.
36k. Pads look new (car purchased in May). Will take in to dealer and go from there.
Old 09-28-20, 10:44 PM
websurfer
Racer

I'm wondering what's the costs of pads for the front or back installed like in pricing ballpark-wise?
Old 09-29-20, 12:14 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I'm wondering what's the costs of pads for the front or back installed like in pricing ballpark-wise?
based on some of the responses in this thread...around $1k per side from Lexus dealerships. I’d imagine $500 ish at indy shops (parts and labor).

I’m contemplating doing them myself - priced everything out online and comes out to $560 (Lexus OEM pads rotors shims front and back). I don’t think i need it tho (don’t feel and hear anything yet). I’m at 37k mi and I think I'm on original pads and rotors (bought used).
Old 09-29-20, 08:33 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

You can usually get 2-3 sets of pads on your rotors. I just ordered pads and installed them in a couple hours. Very simple job. I only needed front pads as the rears were over 70%. Rotors were also in good shape, so just did pads. Bought everything off ebay (https://www.ebay.com/usr/belllexusnorthscottsdale), everything shipped in 4 days (pads, shims, rotors - just in case I needed them. Well worth saving yourself over $1000. Isn't any more complicated than doing brakes on my old Camry.
The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (09-29-20)
Old 09-29-20, 10:13 AM
websurfer
Racer

I surely would like to do my own brakes myself. I watched a number of youtube videos and I'm not 100% confident. I wish somebody did an A-Z video on Youtube and don't skip any steps. I'm finding many skip steps or doesn't show the whole process like issues with it.

I like the OEM brakes and rotors for best results.

How much for the 2 front brake pads usually cost?

Quick Reply: Brakes and rotors