GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Plan on purchasing but im just not sure

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 05:49 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan on purchasing but im just not sure

I plan on buying a lexus in the next 10 months and i know little to nothing about them so i am doing my research now. I have a price in mind of hopefully around 28-34k and I have an idea of what i want which is the 2016+ gs350 fsport. I come from the German car world and i know all the models and options off the top of my head but im tired of fixing them and want to give lexus a try, I mentioned previously to someone about the gs350 and mentioned the things i may want and they also mentioned to look at an rcf which i never knew existed and instantly fell in love with. I am stuck between the two cars and am not sure which one to get because i know so little about them. Things i am hoping to get from replies are things like reliability, prices, must have features, and overall opinions of choosing either car ( i will also post in the rc forum to get their side to alleviate any bias). Just to give you a quick summary of how i will use the car is that i will use it to commute to work, i am a 24 with no kids and i do have a backup suv/truck that i can always use and i live in pittsburgh pa. One thing many will say is issues with snow but ive been daily driving a rwd mercedes for years in the snow and have been fine. I apologize for being so ignorant when it comes to these cars because ive never driven one or even knew anyone that has had one so i know little to nothing about them.
Old 09-27-20, 06:15 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

Hi escott1622 welcome to the Forum!

In general I think your price for what you want is probably reasonable - you'll probably be looking at a 2016 or 2017 and I'm guessing you'll be closer to 34k than 28k.

The GS is generally a very reliable car. I ended up doing an AWD just because I was concerned with driving in the snow on the rare chances we get it but from what I read and what folks said when I was looking in February was that the RWD does very good in snow with winter tires. I didn't want to be dealing with winter and all season so that was also part of my reason for wanting an AWD.

Here's an interesting recent thread that might be of interest: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rrent-one.html

I'd also recommend the two stickies at the top of the Forum about "Favorite Discovered Feature" and "How to identify 4GS Options with Pictures" Both of those have good discussions about what's available.

I was trying to find another post I did recently but couldn't find it quickly - but if you google Lexus GS brochure and add each model year you'll find the Lexus brochures that will also list what the options were for each year.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-27-20, 06:24 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

It does help, whatever i get wont be my only car so if i ever get bad snow i can just park the lexus and hop in suv thats the only reason im fine with rwd but i will look at that thread to see what everyone thinks of them. I said the 28k because i assumed they would drop a few grand in 10 months but i do plan on getting one with the upgraded sound system and red interior so i agree its most likely going to be 34k
Old 09-27-20, 06:37 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I previously had a 2003 BMW 330i and purchased Lexus IS 350 F Sport because it felt must better (more sportier) than the newer F30 3 series which had evolved into more of a luxury car than a 4-door sports car. I also test drove the RC 350 F Sport and preferred the more balanced feel of the IS 350 F sport. The RC felt awkward and heavy. I have never driven the RC F. However, I have driven the LC 500 and GS F which uses the same V8 engine. That engine is brilliant. I had the IS for 4 years and 86,000 miles with only one unscheduled repair. This is in sharp contrast with my previous BMW experience. During my ownership of the IS I came to value the car’s refinement when compared to the BMW. The first is interior quietness and low wind noise. The second is the creamy ride in non-sport mode. I really appreciated these attributes after a long day. The adjustable suspension and sport settings has a better balance between ride and handling than the BMW. The IS while a nice car was always a little cramped and people sometimes had a problem exiting the car because of the low front seat position. For these reasons, I stepped up to the GS 350 F Sport which is like a more grown up IS. It is the perfect size for me, but has a significantly better chassis, build quality and better appointed. I have now had the GS 18 months and 24000 miles and have had no issues. I plan on keeping the car for a long long time. I suggest you test drive both cars. Reliability will not be a problem with either. You should be able to get 2016 - 2017 GS 350 F Sport with your price range. Expect to pay more for the RC F, plan on low $40s for a 2016 with low miles. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Savjam:
signdetres (09-28-20), websurfer (09-27-20)
Old 09-27-20, 06:43 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

In 10 months it's very hard to say. Some folks seemed to think that prices were a bit inflated right now but a number of folks have purchased recently and paid less then I did. I was reasonably comfortable with what I paid from the research I had done at the time and what I was seeing cars listed at but that said - things were a bit nuts in terms of availability in the area. Most CPOs (which I wanted) would last hours on a dealers lot after they were finished being detailed. Most of the time there were were few if any photos on the website - often is was just the one stock photo of a GS.

The GS is also a pretty low volume car - although for 2016 and 2017 they sold in pretty decent numbers. 2018 and 2019 they drop off really fast - If I remember correctly 2018 only something like 6000 were sold and in 2019 I think it's down in the 3000-4000 range. To put that in perspective - the ES can sell 6000 cars in the month of August (it's largest month). I would personally say keep your eyes open, know what you want and if something comes up that seems to be what you want - get it. These things seem to go in weird cycles. When I was looking there were very few (and none that I test drove) that had the Heads up Display. Some folks like the triple beam headlights - and those two were minimal when I was looking and then all of a sudden a bunch popped up including some from 2016 when triple beams weren't even listed as an available option (they were only on the GS F)

There's tons of great knowledge in the group so folks will do their best to answer usually but sometimes you'll also get competing opinions.....
Old 09-27-20, 06:45 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

I planned on gathering as much info here to narrow down specific cars i want to test drive. My goal is to know which ones i want, test drive both then wait for one to come on the market i want with the options at the right price
Old 09-27-20, 08:13 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by escott1622
I plan on buying a lexus in the next 10 months and i know little to nothing about them so i am doing my research now. I have a price in mind of hopefully around 28-34k and I have an idea of what i want which is the 2016+ gs350 fsport. I come from the German car world and i know all the models and options off the top of my head but im tired of fixing them and want to give lexus a try, I mentioned previously to someone about the gs350 and mentioned the things i may want and they also mentioned to look at an rcf which i never knew existed and instantly fell in love with. I am stuck between the two cars and am not sure which one to get because i know so little about them. Things i am hoping to get from replies are things like reliability, prices, must have features, and overall opinions of choosing either car ( i will also post in the rc forum to get their side to alleviate any bias). Just to give you a quick summary of how i will use the car is that i will use it to commute to work, i am a 24 with no kids and i do have a backup suv/truck that i can always use and i live in pittsburgh pa. One thing many will say is issues with snow but ive been daily driving a rwd mercedes for years in the snow and have been fine. I apologize for being so ignorant when it comes to these cars because ive never driven one or even knew anyone that has had one so i know little to nothing about them.
I can't speak to the RC so i'll stick with the GS....Lexus simplifies the model lineup and option packages so you're often getting a high value for your money with the standard feature set. The 2016+ GS models were refreshed with newer front fascia/bumper/grille, new wheel designs, new rear tail design, an ever so slight bump in hp, infortainment upgrades like full screen map mode and a Safety System + option with more safety features See here for more details: https://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus-20...-product-news/

The GS does not have a touchscreen interface for the infotainment/nav system, but the system itself works well and rarely has any issues. There is no native android auto or apple car play support but there are aftermarket options that work well. Essentially the same engine has been in place in the GS 350 since 2007, but tuned slightly differently over the years - so you know its bulletproof.

Many folks report the GS is lacking in power, some feel like its more than enough - thats really a personal take. Also, folks report liking the the 6-speed transmission responsiveness of the AWD models over the 8-speed of the RWD models. RWD F-Sport models will have higher costs when it comes to brakes/tires as they are performance oriented. Since you're in the Northeast, most of the cars offered in our area will be AWD. The Heads Up Display is a very sought after but rare option, the upgraded Mark Levinson system is great but so is the base system. To me, on the F-Sport, the must-have is the triple LED headlamps option - nice to haves are the power trunk and cold weather packages.

I think the biggest challenge that most people face is the reliability vs. technology when coming into the 4GS from German cars. If you were to go with a 2016-2017 model BMW or Merc, most likely you'll find a lot of newer, fancier adopted technology and options. If you're really looking for reliability, the GS offers that coupled with a great driving experience.

Seriously, drive a bunch of them and spend time in the GS - you'll feel more engaged and appreciate it more the more you drive it. If you're looking for the latest gizmos, gadgets, fancy options and packages, you'll likely be let down a bit by the GS - but the safety, value, reliability and drive-ability usually make up for this for most GS owners.
The following users liked this post:
ix3ph09 (09-30-20)
Old 09-27-20, 08:20 PM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Is there a good mileage range to stick to? I don’t want anything with like 15k miles because it will be too expensive and I won’t keep the car long enough to justify the low miles but I also don’t want 90k I come from German so I’m used to them being downhill after 60k
Old 09-27-20, 08:49 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by escott1622
Is there a good mileage range to stick to? I don’t want anything with like 15k miles because it will be too expensive and I won’t keep the car long enough to justify the low miles but I also don’t want 90k I come from German so I’m used to them being downhill after 60k
With your budget, the F-Sport GS's you'll find will likely have between 30k-60k miles which is where most 2nd owners take ownership. The GS won't be downhill after 60k miles - many members with over 60k miles (me being one) and very few substantial issues (if any) to report.
Old 09-27-20, 08:51 PM
cammyfive
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi, @escott1622 ! I can empathize with your situation a bit as I leased a 2016 328i M Sport 6MT two cars ago. Even in the 2.5 years that I owned that car I had some frustrating issues - creaking rear doors when going over bumps from poor weatherstripping design, random misfires when accelerating hard (the dreaded 30FF code), and the A/C unit frequently froze up when I used it during very hot weather. I actually went full idiot with that car by adding the OEM M Performance Big Brake Kit (almost $3K before labor) and some other performance mods. The car looked spectacular but I was always a bit underwhelmed with the total package, not to mention the issues I had barely into ownership. If definitely lacked the flavor of the magical E90 328/335i.

This is my first Lexus - a 2016 GS350 F Sport AWD with 38K miles on it when I purchased it last month. I paid just under $30K before taxes and fees (a hair under $33K OTD when it was all said and done). I went with the AWD model because it had the options I wanted (Mark Levinson audio being the primary one), lower miles than some of the others I was looking at, and the price was right where I wanted to be total. The nice thing about the 2016 is that aside from the optional Lexus Safety System that my car has, there really is no discernible difference between say a 2016 and a 2020 F Sport. One thing I noticed immediately in the GS as opposed to my old F30 3 series was that you do not sit anywhere near as low to the ground in this car as you do in the BMW so I had to adjust my normal driving position. The car drives rock solid but it is a 4000lb car so it's not as capable as say an M3 or anything like that. I do, however, feel it is sportier than the F10 5 series.....although that's damning praise.

Even owning this car for about a month and 800 miles I feel it's one of the better choices I've made as far as a long term investment. I don't think about "what's the next car going to be" when I drive it as I have in my past cars. If something else strikes my fancy, I'll more than likely give this car to my soon to be wife and still be happy to have the car in the family indefinitely.

I"m still learning here a bit but here is some helpful info you might enjoy:

*The sweet spot is a 2016/17 car with all of the bells and whistles with say 30-40K miles from the low to lower-mid $30s. On the other hand, the pre-refresh cars (2013-15) have a better looking front end (in my opinion) but they do lack some of the modern safety tech - radar cruise, lane keep assist, etc.

*Mark Levinson audio is spectacular in this car and I wouldn't buy one without it. Just from my experience, I'd say half of the 2016+ F Sports I've seen online have it. It's a must have.

*If you find a car with ML Audio and the Triple Beam headlights (2017+ models, only the GSF had it in 2016) in the color scheme you like....buy it. My car has the standard bi-LED projectors and they're awesome (much better than most BMW LED reflector headlights) but I really wish I had gotten one with the triple beams. I briefly considered buying the parts and installing them but immediately dismissed that when just the OEM parts ran over $5K on sale.

*If you want a more comfortable car, considering looking for a Luxury Pkg 2016 or 2017. They have an even more adjustable driver seat, seppelle wood trim, semi-aniline leather, and unique wheels. They are relatively rare to the base cars and F Sports and were only produced for those two years. Then again, an F Sport is still super comfortable with it's adaptive suspension.

*The Lexus CPO program - L Certified - is awesome with a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty after the standard one (4yr/50K) runs out. My car wasn't CPO but I have until December 13th to add a Lexus extended warranty so it is something I'm considering. Then again, these cars are really robust so I'm not sure I want to add that.

*The greatest thing about the GS in comparison to other lux/sporty sedans is that it is the last of a drying (well dead after 2020) breed - mid size luxury car with a N/A V6. The 3.5L V6 sounds amazing and I forgot how much I missed instant throttle response after owning turbo engines the last couple of cars. It's plenty "quick" but any of the turbo six cylinders will show their taillights to the GS.

The best praise I can give this car is that if it was hit by meteor and destroyed, I would go buy the exact same car (maybe different car with Triple Beam LEDs though) the next day. It's the ultimate non-crazy priced premium/lux daily driver out there, in my opinion.
The following 4 users liked this post by cammyfive:
carlISF (09-28-20), ix3ph09 (09-30-20), MGs350 (09-27-20), signdetres (09-28-20)
Old 09-27-20, 08:53 PM
cammyfive
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the three times I took this car to the Tail of the Dragon.
The following users liked this post:
chinee (09-28-20)
Old 09-27-20, 11:25 PM
dkp993
Rookie

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I’ve owned a large cross section of cars in my time. Prior to my recent GS 450h purchase I owned an Audi A6 3.0t for 5 years. Put right under 100k miles on that car and truly enjoyed it. I got rid of it because it hit 140k and I knew it would get expensive soon.

Cross shopped basically everything in the used market in the sub $45k range. ‘18/‘19 540i’s, 440’s, M5’s, newer A6’s and S5’s, MB E series, Volvo S90’s, Tesla’s S’s and 3’s, etc etc etc. Spent about 9 months searching for the right fit. In the end, while I loved what the Audi, BMW and MB’s had to offer (and each had strengths and weaknesses) I narrowed it down to the GSF, GS450h or the Tesla model 3. The reliability ultimately was a deciding factor in narrowing it down to those 3. But honestly I would’ve chosen either a newer 540i or Audi S5 over the GS350. I ended up buying my 450h really on the spur of the moment as they almost never come up for sale and one happened to pop up 20 miles from my house. The added MPG‘s of the 450h pushed me back it’s way and strangely it felt quicker then the 350 (the numbers say it not but seat of the pants it feels it). Any GSF’s I found in my price range had more miles then I wanted.

But truth be told as you can probably tell it’s really pretty close between all these models. There’s so many good cars out there in that price range that it comes down to the small differences that are important to you that will likely sway you. For me the comfort of knowing that I won’t have to worry once I get to 100K made the difference. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and in a few years adding a sports car back into the mix.
Old 09-28-20, 07:24 AM
escott1622
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cammyfive
Hi, @escott1622 ! I can empathize with your situation a bit as I leased a 2016 328i M Sport 6MT two cars ago. Even in the 2.5 years that I owned that car I had some frustrating issues - creaking rear doors when going over bumps from poor weatherstripping design, random misfires when accelerating hard (the dreaded 30FF code), and the A/C unit frequently froze up when I used it during very hot weather. I actually went full idiot with that car by adding the OEM M Performance Big Brake Kit (almost $3K before labor) and some other performance mods. The car looked spectacular but I was always a bit underwhelmed with the total package, not to mention the issues I had barely into ownership. If definitely lacked the flavor of the magical E90 328/335i.

This is my first Lexus - a 2016 GS350 F Sport AWD with 38K miles on it when I purchased it last month. I paid just under $30K before taxes and fees (a hair under $33K OTD when it was all said and done). I went with the AWD model because it had the options I wanted (Mark Levinson audio being the primary one), lower miles than some of the others I was looking at, and the price was right where I wanted to be total. The nice thing about the 2016 is that aside from the optional Lexus Safety System that my car has, there really is no discernible difference between say a 2016 and a 2020 F Sport. One thing I noticed immediately in the GS as opposed to my old F30 3 series was that you do not sit anywhere near as low to the ground in this car as you do in the BMW so I had to adjust my normal driving position. The car drives rock solid but it is a 4000lb car so it's not as capable as say an M3 or anything like that. I do, however, feel it is sportier than the F10 5 series.....although that's damning praise.

Even owning this car for about a month and 800 miles I feel it's one of the better choices I've made as far as a long term investment. I don't think about "what's the next car going to be" when I drive it as I have in my past cars. If something else strikes my fancy, I'll more than likely give this car to my soon to be wife and still be happy to have the car in the family indefinitely.

I"m still learning here a bit but here is some helpful info you might enjoy:

*The sweet spot is a 2016/17 car with all of the bells and whistles with say 30-40K miles from the low to lower-mid $30s. On the other hand, the pre-refresh cars (2013-15) have a better looking front end (in my opinion) but they do lack some of the modern safety tech - radar cruise, lane keep assist, etc.

*Mark Levinson audio is spectacular in this car and I wouldn't buy one without it. Just from my experience, I'd say half of the 2016+ F Sports I've seen online have it. It's a must have.

*If you find a car with ML Audio and the Triple Beam headlights (2017+ models, only the GSF had it in 2016) in the color scheme you like....buy it. My car has the standard bi-LED projectors and they're awesome (much better than most BMW LED reflector headlights) but I really wish I had gotten one with the triple beams. I briefly considered buying the parts and installing them but immediately dismissed that when just the OEM parts ran over $5K on sale.

*If you want a more comfortable car, considering looking for a Luxury Pkg 2016 or 2017. They have an even more adjustable driver seat, seppelle wood trim, semi-aniline leather, and unique wheels. They are relatively rare to the base cars and F Sports and were only produced for those two years. Then again, an F Sport is still super comfortable with it's adaptive suspension.

*The Lexus CPO program - L Certified - is awesome with a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty after the standard one (4yr/50K) runs out. My car wasn't CPO but I have until December 13th to add a Lexus extended warranty so it is something I'm considering. Then again, these cars are really robust so I'm not sure I want to add that.

*The greatest thing about the GS in comparison to other lux/sporty sedans is that it is the last of a drying (well dead after 2020) breed - mid size luxury car with a N/A V6. The 3.5L V6 sounds amazing and I forgot how much I missed instant throttle response after owning turbo engines the last couple of cars. It's plenty "quick" but any of the turbo six cylinders will show their taillights to the GS.

The best praise I can give this car is that if it was hit by meteor and destroyed, I would go buy the exact same car (maybe different car with Triple Beam LEDs though) the next day. It's the ultimate non-crazy priced premium/lux daily driver out there, in my opinion.
seems to be my exact thoughts I want a 2016-2017 with the ml radio and the triple beam around 30-50k miles at that price range. The lights aren’t the biggest issue but I wouldn’t mind paying a tad more for one with them
Old 09-28-20, 02:39 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

If the previous owners have taken care of their car, I don't think you'll have many problems getting up to a car with 70k miles. I bought my RWD GS350 with 64k but it pretty much drove like a new car. No suspension or body creaks or rattles with a quiet cabin (with a caveat) and it was also very clean inside. The caveat is that the moonroof seal was getting loose which did rattle going over bumps but is a $35 fix. This seems to be a fairly common problem and could be considered routine maintenance. Only other non-routine fix I did was replace the steering wheel clock spring which had begun to squeak. If I had been on the ball, I probably could have gotten Lexus to fix this issue under their 6yr/70k mile drivetrain warranty as some have been able to do.

While I don't have an AWD, I do know that the driver footwell is slightly smaller due to the AWD drivetrain. This might be quite annoying to some so you might want to get opinions on it first.

I think the GS is a great car. It's pretty quick but not the fastest but plenty fast for around town and it handles quite well. It's not a race car but a very capable sport sedan. It's comfortable and very well made but it doesn't have the latest safety bells and whistles but I'm not too bothered by that. It has a pretty decent sound system in the Mark Levinson option but you're not going to get the latest tech and Apple and Android integration but that doesn't bather me too much. For some reason you can get all of these new safety and tech in most barebones base Toyota cars like Corollas and Camrys but they don't offer them in the GS. That's great but then you're stuck driving one of those. I like driving my GS and do don't mind the shortcomings all that much. It'd be great to have this and that but in the end the benefits outweigh the shortcomings.
Old 09-28-20, 06:22 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
If the previous owners have taken care of their car, I don't think you'll have many problems getting up to a car with 70k miles. I bought my RWD GS350 with 64k but it pretty much drove like a new car. No suspension or body creaks or rattles with a quiet cabin (with a caveat) and it was also very clean inside. The caveat is that the moonroof seal was getting loose which did rattle going over bumps but is a $35 fix. This seems to be a fairly common problem and could be considered routine maintenance. Only other non-routine fix I did was replace the steering wheel clock spring which had begun to squeak. If I had been on the ball, I probably could have gotten Lexus to fix this issue under their 6yr/70k mile drivetrain warranty as some have been able to do.

While I don't have an AWD, I do know that the driver footwell is slightly smaller due to the AWD drivetrain. This might be quite annoying to some so you might want to get opinions on it first.

I think the GS is a great car. It's pretty quick but not the fastest but plenty fast for around town and it handles quite well. It's not a race car but a very capable sport sedan. It's comfortable and very well made but it doesn't have the latest safety bells and whistles but I'm not too bothered by that. It has a pretty decent sound system in the Mark Levinson option but you're not going to get the latest tech and Apple and Android integration but that doesn't bather me too much. For some reason you can get all of these new safety and tech in most barebones base Toyota cars like Corollas and Camrys but they don't offer them in the GS. That's great but then you're stuck driving one of those. I like driving my GS and do don't mind the shortcomings all that much. It'd be great to have this and that but in the end the benefits outweigh the shortcomings.
I would say spend some time looking over the car before purchasing it. I made a mistake on my old CPO 2016 GS350. It was repainted and repaired and carfax was clean also. There are good vehicles out there, just spend the time on it. Maybe do a PPI (Pre-purchase inspection) by a mechanic.